New contract for Oba without the clauses - The Times

Guest Toon83

Guest Toon83

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2176332.ece

Martins talks a welcome boost for Allardyce

George Caulkin

Newcastle United have opened contract negotiations with Obafemi Martins, a move that Sam Allardyce hopes will lessen the uncertainty that has gripped St James’ Park this summer. The manager’s rebuilding plans have not only been hampered by the club’s change of ownership, but also by the existence of release clauses in the deals that brought Martins and Michael Owen to Tyneside.

Martins confirmed yesterday that discussions have begun on reviewing a contract that still has four years to run. As part of the £10 million transfer that took the Nigeria international to Newcastle from Inter Milan last August, a £13 million escape clause was written into the small print; the fee required to activate it reduces during every subsequent transfer window.

Much to Allardyce’s frustration, a similar scenario affects Owen’s £110,000-a-week deal, although his £9 million get-out clause is understood to have closed on June 30. That still allowed speculation that the England striker would leave for Manchester United or Liverpool, while Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, is a known admirer of Martins.

Newcastle are said to be prepared to increase Martins’ £60,000 weekly wage in return for him ignoring those clauses. “We are talking, that is all I can say for now,” the forward said.

Martins is relishing the increased competition at Newcastle following the arrival of Mark Viduka. “I scored 17 goals last season, so maybe I should be looking at doing better than that,” he said. “Twenty goals is possible.”

Newcastle have also been given permission by Manchester United to discuss a £6 million deal with Alan Smith, a move that would probably allow Kieron Dyer to join West Ham United. Middlesbrough and Sunderland have made similar bids for Smith.

the times is usually spot on with this sort of thing, its about time we sorted out all these stupid clauses

im not so sure the owen wage is made up on the spot?

anyway, this makes oliver look a total and utter tool (if true) for his article today.

i think oliver will now be further away from the truth of what is going on at the club than ever before, cant see big sam having much time for him, nor mr mort.

I'm a big Martins fan so this is great news far as I'm concerned. While all the talk has been of Luque, Milner and Geremi lately, for me Martins has been superb pre-season. A lot of our best attacking moves have gone through him. Cracking player IMO.

I'm a big Martins fan so this is great news far as I'm concerned. While all the talk has been of Luque, Milner and Geremi lately, for me Martins has been superb pre-season. A lot of our best attacking moves have gone through him. Cracking player IMO.

He seems a better all round player now the ball is being mostly played on the floor, his link up play with midfield has been excellent.

I wonder if Owen was offered a new contract?

Guest Guinness

So we've gone from selling him to make funds for new signings to negotiating a new contract with him in the space of a day :lol:

Very good news if true though.

He seems a better all round player now the ball is being mostly played on the floor, his link up play with midfield has been excellent.

Only seen the Celtic game, but the way he and Geremi were constantly on the same wavelength, was very encouraging indeed. And when you consider that Geremi has the eye for a quality ball akin to that of a Nobby Solano, and when you consider Martins' pace - we could well have something rather special on our hands. Potentially.

This is excellent news. I'm a firm believer of the fact that within another 12 months, he'll certainly be worth a pay rise anyhow. So to do it now to get rid of those idiotic clauses, is good thinking. The player is obviously commited aswell.

Only seen the Celtic game, but the way he and Geremi were constantly on the same wavelength, was very encouraging indeed. And when you consider that Geremi has the eye for a quality ball akin to that of a Nobby Solano, and when you consider Martins' pace - we could well have something rather special on our hands. Potentially.

This is excellent news. I'm a firm believer of the fact that within another 12 months, he'll certainly be worth a pay rise anyhow. So to do it now to get rid of those idiotic clauses, is good thinking. The player is obviously commited aswell.

Don't you mean:

Any developments since page1-ish?

;)

tbh, I always thought his link up play was good on the deck, even last season. Don't really understand the stick he gets considering what he gives the team. If he was called Andy Carroll and came from Gateshead we'd probably have built a statue by now.

tbh, I always thought his link up play was good on the deck, even last season. Don't really understand the stick he gets considering what he gives the team. If he was called Andy Carroll and came from Gateshead we'd probably have built a statue by now.

:rolleyes:

Honestly, bored to death of that shite.

That argument ONLY stands for Steven Taylor - who is a good player. Does anyone, anywhere, really think that Peter Ramage is anything more than Unibond League standard?

Honestly, bored to death of that shite.

That argument ONLY stands for Steven Taylor - who is a good player. Does anyone, anywhere, really think that Peter Ramage is anything more than Unibond League standard?

Yes, I do.

Honestly, bored to death of that s****.

Yes, I do.

Me too.

*Swings shoes around head.

im not so sure the owen wage is made up on the spot?

Last week when Terry signed his new contract of £130k a week, they listed the top 5 earners in the Premiership, and I think the 5th on the list was Lampard at £95k. So Owen is on less than that.

Do you honestly think if it was Lee Clark doing what Martins does we'd be carping about his poor first touch?

Do you honestly think if it was Lee Clark doing what Martins does we'd be carping about his poor first touch?

Ramage and Ameobi are both geordies