Allardyce - Dyer replacement revealed Thursday

Dave

Guest Knightrider

Strange signing, but I can see the value in adding such a player to the squad as he can play in central-midfield, on the right or up front and will allow us to send Carroll out on loan and give us a long-term replacement for Viduka. He will also give us extra options up front. If Viduka or Ameobi were unavailable, I wouldn't fancy an Owen and Martins partnership, both need to play off a centre-forward.

Smith is technically very good, an intelligent forward who is a good passer. He's also good in the air and is one of those type of players we've lacked since Bellamy left, a pressing forward who harasses defenders.

If we fail to sign a good quality left-back though this transfer will be another Duff, a waste of funds.

However, I simply can't see Sam NOT signing a good left-back now, so this deal actually raises my hopes more than the actual player himself does.

Fuck this, I'm off to bed. :lol:  You lot would fucking twist on 21.  If you don't like Alan Smith, that's one thing, but the OMG THIS MEENZ WUZ ISNT GETTUN DEEFENDAZ!!! craic is fucking lifting.  All Allardyce talks about is signing defenders.  He still plans on doing so.

Have a word with yourselves you bunch of whiny knobends. :razz:  No fucker is happy on here unless they've got something to whine about.

Nice that you have the inside track.

f*** this, I'm off to bed. :lol:  You lot would f****** twist on 21.  If you don't like Alan Smith, that's one thing, but the OMG THIS MEENZ WUZ ISNT GETTUN DEEFENDAZ!!! craic is f****** lifting.  All Allardyce talks about is signing defenders.  He still plans on doing so.

Agree with that mind.

Guest Gemmill

Signings!  Signings!  WE WANT SIGNINGS!

NOT THAT SIGNING!  We want ANOTHER signing!  A DIFFERENT one! 

:lol:

Think of squad building lads.  Think of having a player on the bench that can give us options.  Alan Smith will be neither first choice striker nor first choice midfielder, but he WILL give us some added depth to the squad.  Oh and stop fucking whining ffs!

£6m for a bench player when we have NO left back? Genius.

Do you HONESTLY think we're not looking at left backs then?  Do you think that's it, Sam's decided to fuck the defence off in favour of Alan Smith? 

Do you HONESTLY think we are going to sign 2 left backs, 2/3 centre backs and a right back before the window closes? Because they are a much bigger priority imho.

Given that Allardyce says we're bring in 4 players max, no I don't.  I still don't see what any of that's got to do with signing Alan Smith though.  If Dyer goes he needs replacing.  Allardyce still has 3 defensive signings in mind.  So we replace Dyer and we also try and get in those replacements.  It's not fucking rocket science.

Dyer doesn't need replacing. Thats not fucking rocket science either :lol:

Errr ok then.  I disagree.  What makes you think though that signing Alan Smith makes any difference to the availablility or likelihood of us signing defenders?  I'm really fucking intrigued.  Neither of us know who the targets are or how much money there is, but there's the immediate assumption by people that we've somehow blown our chances of bringing in defenders by spending the money we get on Dyer on a replacement.

Guest BooBoo

:rant:

FFS, there's way too many Football Manger obsessed cybernerds on here who want us to sign some plonker just cos he's a bit tasty on a computer game. This board in no way represents the St James Park crowd who i'm sure would welcome any player to the club and give them a fair crack of the whip instead of writing them off before they're even through the front door.

Guest Gemmill

Fuck this, I'm off to bed. :lol:  You lot would fucking twist on 21.  If you don't like Alan Smith, that's one thing, but the OMG THIS MEENZ WUZ ISNT GETTUN DEEFENDAZ!!! craic is fucking lifting.  All Allardyce talks about is signing defenders.  He still plans on doing so.

Have a word with yourselves you bunch of whiny knobends. :razz:  No fucker is happy on here unless they've got something to whine about.

On you being a fucking misery?  Common knowledge tbh.

I just see the good work of Parker out for £7m and Barton in for £5.8m as coming undone. Now I look at Parker out for £7m and an even worse replacement in for £6m.

Especially as Geremi has impressed im midfield too.

Mistake if true.

On you being a fucking misery?  Common knowledge tbh.

Ooh, nice work.

Guest Gemmill

Think of squad building lads.  Think of having a player on the bench that can give us options.  Alan Smith will be neither first choice striker nor first choice midfielder, but he WILL give us some added depth to the squad.  Oh and stop fucking whining ffs!

Do you HONESTLY think we're not looking at left backs then?  Do you think that's it, Sam's decided to fuck the defence off in favour of Alan Smith? 

Do you HONESTLY think we are going to sign 2 left backs, 2/3 centre backs and a right back before the window closes? Because they are a much bigger priority imho.

Given that Allardyce says we're bring in 4 players max, no I don't.  I still don't see what any of that's got to do with signing Alan Smith though.  If Dyer goes he needs replacing.  Allardyce still has 3 defensive signings in mind.  So we replace Dyer and we also try and get in those replacements.  It's not fucking rocket science.

and how is Smith a replacement for Dyer? They are completely different players (other than both being painfully average).

They can both play in midfield and attack.  Do you see now?

Guest Mantis

f*** this, I'm off to bed. :lol:  You lot would f****** twist on 21.  If you don't like Alan Smith, that's one thing, but the OMG THIS MEENZ WUZ ISNT GETTUN DEEFENDAZ!!! craic is f****** lifting.  All Allardyce talks about is signing defenders.  He still plans on doing so.

Good point.  All wild speculation.  Just wait until the signings are made.  This is NUFC not Champ Manager, nothing is ever done as you would expect it.

:rant:

FFS, there's way too many Football Manger obsessed cybernerds on here who want us to sign some plonker just cos he's a bit tasty on a computer game. This board in no way represents the St James Park crowd who i'm sure would welcome any player to the club and give them a fair crack of the whip instead of writing them off before they're even through the front door.

It's rather ironic that IMO the match-going crowd would in all likelihood give Smith a very warm welcome due to his guts etc.

Errr ok then.  I disagree.  What makes you think though that signing Alan Smith makes any difference to the availablility or likelihood of us signing defenders?  I'm really fucking intrigued.  Neither of us know who the targets are or how much money there is, but there's the immediate assumption by people that we've somehow blown our chances of bringing in defenders by spending the money we get on Dyer on a replacement.

We have 8 midfielder (not including kids) and 5 strikers (not including Carroll). Why do we need to spend £6m on Smith? If we are going so spend £6m on an average player I would much rather spend that £6m on an average defender.

As you yourself have said we aren't going to get complete cover for the defence so why is it so wrong for people to comment that they feel spending £6m on Smith is a waste of money?

Personally i don't think we really need to replace Dyer, but if Allardyce thinks he needs another attacking player to come in then i'm fine by it. Smith won't get you many goals but he is a good player. An extra body won't do us any harm. Allardyce has his plans in his own mind for the way he wants our team to set up so if he does sign Smith then he obviously feels he needs him. I'm happy enough either way.

and how is Smith a replacement for Dyer? They are completely different players (other than both being painfully average).

They can both play in midfield and attack.  Do you see now?

Dyer is and was shite in attack, and was an "attacking midfielder".

Smith was relatively poor up front, and crap in midfield.

Ah, yes, i see now. Thank you for enlightening me, with your Souness-esque tactical genius.

We have 8 midfielder (not including kids) and 5 strikers (not including Carroll). Why do we need to spend £6m on Smith? If we are going so spend £6m on an average player I would much rather spend that £6m on an average defender.

As you yourself have said we aren't going to get complete cover for the defence so why is it so wrong for people to comment that they feel spending £6m on Smith is a waste of money?

Even if he does feel we need to spend that much on a midfielder and a striker, there's got to be better options for £6m, and even cheaper than that, than Alan f*cking Smith.

Im pretty shocked by some of the shite on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

The days of 442, pick your best 11 are long gone. It will change game by game, and Smith will be an important player.

The reason is simple, we need triple cover in every position because we are NUFC with our 20 injuries a week for the past 4 years. We could sign another 6 forwards and still end up playing a youth team kid at some point in the season.

Even if he does feel we need to spend that much on a midfielder and a striker, there's got to be better options for £6m, and even cheaper than that, than Alan f*cking Smith.

I agree, it's just a shit bit of business on so many levels.

Im pretty shocked by some of the shite on here tonight. Big Sam is building a squad. He will want players with different attributes to play in different games. Bringing Smith in gives us different options, especially away from home. He is a better manager than we have had recently. He looks at the big picture and isn't so stupid to think that every single signing has to improve our best 11. He will pick different players in different formations against different teams. Smith will fit into one of these systems, proberbly in games away from home and against some of the better sides at home.

The days of 442, pick your best 11 are long gone. It will change game by game, and Smith will be an important player.

Touché.

Guest Gemmill

We have a budget to sign the defenders Allardyce wants.  Up until a week or two ago, we had no idea Dyer was going.  Now he says he's going and Allardyce, previously assuming he was well-stocked in midfield, earmarks the money from the Dyer sale for a replacement.  He chooses Smith - whether that's right or wrong is up for debate.

What isn't up for debate is that the money that previously existed for defenders hasn't gone anywhere.  It's still there waiting to be sold.  In fact, if anything removing Dyer from the wage bill has probably added to it slightly, as Alan Smith won't be coming in on that sort of money.

So.  I'll ask again.  What is the problem with spending money from Dyer's sale on a replacement for Dyer when it hasn't impacted in the slightest on the money that was previously available for defenders.

Allardyce has just stood and said that the problems he's had getting players in has had nothing to do with a lack of funds, and everything to do with the quality of player he was looking at wanting European football, and being able to get it elsewhere.  So there doesn't seem to be a lack of funds.  That money is still there, the targets are still there.  So what's the problem?

Exactly.

Don't see how this would be any different than us going out and spending £5m on a keeper at the moment. Bet plenty would be moaning then though.