Baines signs for Everton

Guest hindu times

Where did we get the £6 million from the bid for Silvestre?

I thought we didn't have any money and that Ashley doesn't back the manager. :frantic:

Too much anyway, wouldn't pay anything over 4m max for him, highly doubt Baines "snubbed" Everton as he was even at the ground the other day, fee problems and hopefully we can nick him.

I thought we didn't have any money and that Ashley doesn't back the manager. :frantic:

Too much anyway, wouldn't pay anything over 4m max for him, highly doubt Baines "snubbed" Everton as he was even at the ground the other day, fee problems and hopefully we can nick him.

You've been to Goodison Park?

An hour there and you're thinking...

'God I'll have to play here 18 times a season, my car don't stand a chance' (pulls phone out of pocket) 'Hello Sam?, Please bring me up to Newcastle, I'll accept any wage you want to offer, just get me away from Goodison!'

Eh? :lol:

Beresford is a coule of inches shorter then Baines.

What's that got to do with him "eating his heart out"? I'm sure John Beresford "couldn't really give a toss" - he's hardly gonna nick his place.

Oh I agree, this is simply his attempt at being clever, which he inevitably fails with.  He thinks he's making a amazingly clever point about how Baines height shouldn't be a problem due to the great John Beresford being a couple of inches shorter then him...

'God I'll have to play here 18 times a season, my car don't stand a chance' (pulls phone out of pocket) 'Hello Sam?, Please bring me up to Newcastle, I'll accept any wage you want to offer, just get me away from Goodison!'

There's me thinking the league consisted of 19 home games and 19 away games ;)

There's me thinking the league consisted of 19 home games and 19 away games ;)

Gotta allow for an injury or suspension!

Sol Campbell & Jamie Carragher spent a lot of their early years at right-back even though it was clear they were more suited to centre-back. Did them no harm whatsoever.

Exactly. Taylor is only 21 (I think). Will do him no harm whatsoever to have a couple of seasons in a lower risk position as he matures as a player.

He's maturing fine at CB, he doesn't need a spell at RB, it would be a pointless exercise that should only be carried out in a total emergency.

Maturing fine? Seemed to make a lot of mistakes last season for someone maturing "fine".

At that age defenders make mistakes, he's about as accomplished as any 20-21 year old CB in the league.

I think Smoggie has a point though, I think his development has stuttered over the last season or so. I expect Allardyce to put that right though.

It came on leaps and bounds last season, a perfect season for him ruined by a handful of stupid antics imo. Some of them 100% his fault, and i've berated him for that, some because he's been totally let down by the man beside him.

This season he'll become a rock, cut out the mistakes and cement himself in the heart of defence, putting him at RB is about the biggest mistake we could make in his career to date. I'm just glad NUFC is now run by someone with a clue, and it simply won't happen.

While I accept playing with Bramble didn't help I can't agree he came on 'leaps and bounds' last year.

Good players will make it despite not because of who they play with. Taylor was appalling before xmas. Sam seems to have him sussed. Lower peoples expectations simply because the kid doesnt need it or deseve it.

If he plays like he did at the beginning of last season he will be on the bench at best hopefully.

The 'leaps and bound' comment presumably comes the pretty star jump he did against Man Utd when he should have been attacking the ball?

Who wasn't appalling before xmas? He was one of out better players even then. Shaky start i agree with, but got better and better, the daft things will go away for next season, he will become a great player, i hope we keep the faith with him. So many people wanting to hate him because he's a local lad as they think he gets too much praise, its sickening.

Sickening? It's all a bit over the top tbh. He was poor for half of last season. Thats fact. How you then make the jump to him becoming a 'great' player is odd. He isnt bad at all. He will never be great either. It's not about people 'hating' him. I can't be arsed with nonsense like that. Reality though is that he gets away with it for now. Sam is good for him. He is lowering expectations to a realistic level.

If he becomes 'great' then I will happily eat hay with a donkey though. Plenty of them on here to keep me company by the looks of it.

Guest Verlaine

What's that got to do with him "eating his heart out"? I'm sure John Beresford "couldn't really give a toss" - he's hardly gonna nick his place.

Oh I agree, this is simply his attempt at being clever, which he inevitably fails with.  He thinks he's making a amazingly clever point about how Baines height shouldn't be a problem due to the great John Beresford being a couple of inches shorter then him...

FYI it's because Beresford said we desperately need a left-back asap.

After the Dyer incident, no cars are safe :lol:

After the Dyer incident, no cars are safe :lol:

Why do I imagine that 'no cars are safe' was said(typed) in the same way Arnie boasted 'If it bleeds, we can kill it' (Predator)

FYI it's because Beresford said we desperately need a left-back asap.

Yeah maybe, its just the fact that his point seems to hinge on height, rather then Allardyce not wanting a left back at all, that makes me think otherwise.  But then maybe I shouldn't read too much into anything Oliver writes :)

Guest DazzaNufc1892

by the way, thought you may want to know whilst on the subject, toon are still having a look at wes brown