José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I don't think Jose is committed 100% to the idea of leaving. He's hoping he's going to get an offer from a club with better prospects, and he wants to keep his options open for as long as possible. That might mean him waiting till the end of the season, like Barton.

It's hard to know what he hoped to gain by his twitter statements. It won't encourage other clubs to get involved, and it'll make life awkward between himself and his team-mates. He might have thought that the club will now be keen to get rid of him, and will then drop the asking price, but I doubt that we're asking for a huge fee in the first place.

So many footballers seem to act like a twitter exchange is a private conversation, when of course it's a public statement. Perhaps he'd had one too many cervezas and wasn't thinking straight.

If the Sun story is correct, Ashley was right to fine him and Pardew wrong to act with kid gloves. You can't publicly call your employer, or anyone else at the club, a liar and not pay a consequence. I've had the impression before that Pardew is trying to play a 'good cop' role and that can be a bit dangerous.

50k a week might not be a pay rise but fck me footballers need to geta  fucking grip like.

Some people are getting no payrises or getting stupid meaningless rises of like 1.9 % and then being threatned with redundancy.

Footballers make me sick.

Guest ykmkmdd

If the Sun story is correct, Ashley was right to fine him and Pardew wrong to act with kid gloves. You can't publicly call your employer, or anyone else at the club, a liar and not pay a consequence. I've had the impression before that Pardew is trying to play a 'good cop' role and that can be a bit dangerous.

I actually think it can be useful to have a "bigger boss" to play the bad guy - Pardew gives a ticking off and gets to say "if it was up to me I would leave it at that but Ashley insists on the fine" - means he gets to keep more of a decent relationship with the player but the message still goes out that you won't get away with this shit.

For those arguing Jose is leaving for ambition only (nothing to do with personal gain) can I repeat the question:

why hasn't he handed in a transfer request?

Because he'll lose money by handing in a transfer request. Much better to make a cowardly two faced attack on those who will have to pay him a loyalty bonus when they eventually have to accept a fee for him.

Its a sad fact that the Club don't have an automatic two week wages fine for anyone mentioning Club business on twitter or any other social media platform. Or just ban it totally.

Scott Wilson:

Magpies officials, who have decided not to formally discipline Jose Enrique following his Twitter outburst on Sunday night, have already agreed a £6.5m fee for Erdinc.

:lol: Oh man i love the local journos.

So "IF" he has been fined £100k as suggested and we know that players can usually only be fined a maximum of 2 weeks wages, then Jose must be on £50k a week.

According to Alan Brazil this morning, he said he had been told on very good authority that Jose had been offered a 5 year contract on £50k a week which if true means that Jose is right and he has not been offered a payrise.

But Steve Brenner could be guessing that the fine is £100k, based on his speculated £50k wages?

The interesting thing is, I've been told by various sources that the wage cap stands a £50k a week. Didn't Enrique tweet that he was offered a new contract but no pay rise. The speculation for once, is adding up...

Thought 100k was a shitload of money until I read this part: "But Ashley was so angered with Enrique's rant that he immediately ordered Pards to dish out a two-week fine."

Must be so hard being a footballer.  Doing what you love in front of thousands/millions of fans around the world while making 100k every two weeks - if not more.

Hard to feel pity for them and their contract situations to be honest.

Which rather blows his tweet about the new contract out of the water as well.

So "IF" he has been fined £100k as suggested and we know that players can usually only be fined a maximum of 2 weeks wages, then Jose must be on £50k a week.

According to Alan Brazil this morning, he said he had been told on very good authority that Jose had been offered a 5 year contract on £50k a week which if true means that Jose is right and he has not been offered a payrise.

Pards never said he'd offered him  a pay rise, he said he's been offered one of the best deals ever offered by this club.

50k a week might not be a pay rise but fck me footballers need to geta  fucking grip like.

Some people are getting no payrises or getting stupid meaningless rises of like 1.9 % and then being threatned with redundancy.

100% agree with this.

100% agree with this.

I agree as well basically, we're living in times when even footballers might have to start facing reality. The reason most clubs are in such financial shit is the way they've allowed wages to get out of control.

I do think 60k a week for Enrique isn't that ridiculous. He is going the have the best years in his career and how on the earth would he accept the same wages? He can easily ask for higher wages next year.

If money is really the reason for not signing the contract and outburst.

I do think 60k a week for Enrique isn't that ridiculous. He is going the have the best years in his career and how on the earth would he accept the same wages? He can easily ask for higher wages next year.

It's perfectly reasonable in the abstract, but we have a wage cap and ultimately if we're going to bother setting one at all we're going to have to be willing to enforce it.

Wage cap stands at £50k a week though...

Guest Antec

It's nothing to do with money, he simply doesn't like the direction the club is going in and the lies that go with it

Will you earn £60k this week? This Month? This Year?

Thought not.

When did you last get a 20% pay rise? I've never ever had one that big. I got a 3% rise last October and that was the first rise i'd had for 3 years due to the economic downturn.

He needs to take a big reality check.

In the last 6 hours

Twitter outburst costs Magpie £100,000 Emirates 24/7 04:18

Twitter outsburst costs Magpie £100,000 Emirates 24/7 04:05

Twitter outsburst costs Enrique £100,000 Emirates 24/7 03:54

:laugh:

It's nothing to do with money, he simply doesn't like the direction the club is going in and the lies that go with it

Then why mention the contract and wages he's been offered?

It's all about the money.

Will you earn £60k this week? This Month? This Year?

Thought not.

When did you last get a 20% pay rise? I've never ever had one that big. I got a 3% rise last October and that was the first rise i'd had for 3 years due to the economic downturn.

He needs to take a big reality check.

you need the reality check, he plays football for a living. they earn quite a lot you know.

Guest Antec

Did he?

because he was highlighting the fact that they'd made an offer to him that was of no wage increase and gone on about it in the press like we'd offerred him the earth