José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I understand those that say they too would have accepted a £35 million bid for the player, but as fans, we would reinvest that money into the squad. Will Ashley? We can only wait and see. Selling Carroll has improved our financial standing, but it has shown other clubs that we will sell our best players and that ultimately the club lacks ambition.

I don't think the club selling Carroll for £35m shows that they lack ambition.

Failing to reinvest that money back into the squad will show a lack of ambition.

True, that is kind of what I'm trying to get at. I just don't think they will reinvest the a lot of the money, which is why I am bitter about the sale.

I understand those that say they too would have accepted a £35 million bid for the player, but as fans, we would reinvest that money into the squad. Will Ashley? We can only wait and see. Selling Carroll has improved our financial standing, but it has shown other clubs that we will sell our best players and that ultimately the club lacks ambition.

TBH selling a player for the all time british record signing of an english player doesn't demonstrate that we'd sell our best players due to a lack of ambition. It shows that if you want our best players, you better be willing to cough up the dough to pay for them

We'll see what happens with Enrique and Tiote in the summer ...

I agree tottally with the sentiment of distrust that you have, I have it too. But there a number of reasons I'm certain that they won't leave 1) Where are they going to go? All the top teams have it covered 2)Even if a top team do want them as benchwarmers, are these teams gonna pay over ten million minimum for a benchwarmer?

Mind you if we do go down they'll be gone as well as the fact that I don't hold high our chances of keeping them if we don't bring any players in.

Hypothetically speaking ...

Evra leaves Man Utd for a Barcelona/R. Madrid/Inter type club for £8 million. Guess who they come to first? Liverpool shed Konchesky ... they come for Enrique. Barcelona look for a long-term replacement for Abidal (plus he's Spanish).

Man Utd finally get rid of Hargreaves, Tiote could be the athletic DM they've needed for years. Abramovich continues to pump transfer funds into Chelsea, so they bid £15m. West Ham stay up, and Redknapp finally gives up on Parker, guess which DM they come for.

Call my viewpoint grim, but with these bastards as owners I've lost all optimism for this club. Just think we're going to become a conveyor belt for talent, Ashley's cash cow.

Do you know what a cash cow is?

Ashley will be lucky if he ever breaks even let alone makes a profit out of Newcastle United.

We're hardly Ashley's cash cow FFS, he hasn't made any money out of us and stands very little chance of ever doing so.

I have a business degree ... so yes.

You seriously think he can't turn this club into a "nice little earner" for himself? Decreasing wage bill, emphasis placed on "developing young players" to be harvested in the future - leading to increasing revenue from transfer sales.

He sold Carroll for £35 million, Tiote and Enrique could realistically go for a combined £22 million. This situation would put him £47 million in profit from 3 players. Let's say Ben Arfa has a good season next term, he could be worth £12-15 million by the end of 2011/12.

And he would still be considerably short of the £200M plus he has already invested into the club.

So no, I think it is a long way from becoming a cash cow or a 'nice little earner'.

He'd still possess the value of the club though in absence of those players (a value which will have increased in the mean time). Furthermore, with ticket income remaining strong and guaranteed, if people take him up on 3+ year deals, he'll also have a relatively cheap wage bill. With television money having leaped up recently also, of course.

Do we have any genuine reason to believe he is going to personally pocket the £35M from the sale of Andy Carroll and all transfer income from future player sales?

Ticket income may be strong but not guaranteed(opt out clause at the end of each season), the value of the club remains but so would the debt that the club has.

Value of club includes any assets the club has (including players) so selling them would decrease value of the club.

No, because the club now has the value of the player in cash form. Hypothetically, if someone bought the club from him tomorrow, they'd also effectively be buying Andy Carroll's value (either in terms of an available balance, or more likely reduced debts).

Yes, but the value of Assets at the club in terms of playing squad has fallen.  If that £35M is spunked then the value of was spent and then wasted will have gone from the club.

Indeed, or it might be well invested or not invested at all. And the team might do better or worse without him. So selling Carroll doesn't necessarily do anything to the club's value.

Your right, as with Assets they can rise or fall.  Tiote and Ben Arfa will be assets which are likely to rise, especially with Tiote.

Which is why I disagreed and said Ashley can sell players and keep making money... :D

That is correct, as long as we replace every player sold with a player with equal potential to that we'll make a profit on them.  Isn't this what ashley has said he wants to do anycase ?!?

Give or take, yep. Although the replacement player doesn't have to be as good as the player who just left, just ideally good enough to ensure the rest of the club doesn't lose any earning potential (largely through ticket sales and television money). That way you can sell high, buy cheap and pocket the profit.

Brilliant if you are Ashley, but is that what you want our football club to become?!

Guest toonlass

Excuse me if I've missed something here (which is a very real possibility, I willingly concede) but has Enrique/any source of substance actually prompted Pardew to come out and make these statements?

If not, what happened to keeping certain things in-house?

He was asked by a journalist about the Liverpool interest in him today.

And? What did he say?

Excuse me if I've missed something here (which is a very real possibility, I willingly concede) but has Enrique/any source of substance actually prompted Pardew to come out and make these statements?

If not, what happened to keeping certain things in-house?

He was asked by a journalist about the Liverpool interest in him today.

And? What did he say?

Jose Enrique Newcastle talks must wait - Alan Pardew

Jose Enrique

Enrique has made 25 appearances for the Magpies this season

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew says the club must secure Premier League safety before discussing a new deal with defender Jose Enrique.

The former Spain Under-21 international has impressed in his 25 appearances for the Magpies this season and is out of contract in the summer.

"Jose wants to speak to us when we're safe, and we're not safe yet," Pardew told BBC Newcastle.

"So the sooner we get safe, the sooner we can talk to him."

Enrique, who joined the club from Villareal for £6.3m in August 2007, was a key part of the club's Championship-winning side last term and has established himself as a regular in the Newcastle first team.

The latest impressive display from the Valencia-born full-back came in Saturday's goalless draw at Blackburn, a result which ensured Newcastle stayed in the top half of the Premier League.

"His performance was outstanding, some of the things he was doing and his energy levels, to keep bombing forward like he does," Pardew continued.

"He is fortunate that we give him licence to do what he does, but you've still got to have the quality to produce."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9397088.stm

Guest neesy111

Failing to reinvest that money back into the squad will show a lack of ambition.

True, that is kind of what I'm trying to get at. I just don't think they will reinvest the a lot of the money, which is why I am bitter about the sale.

TBH selling a player for the all time british record signing of an english player doesn't demonstrate that we'd sell our best players due to a lack of ambition. It shows that if you want our best players, you better be willing to cough up the dough to pay for them

I agree tottally with the sentiment of distrust that you have, I have it too. But there a number of reasons I'm certain that they won't leave 1) Where are they going to go? All the top teams have it covered 2)Even if a top team do want them as benchwarmers, are these teams gonna pay over ten million minimum for a benchwarmer?

Mind you if we do go down they'll be gone as well as the fact that I don't hold high our chances of keeping them if we don't bring any players in.

Evra leaves Man Utd for a Barcelona/R. Madrid/Inter type club for £8 million. Guess who they come to first? Liverpool shed Konchesky ... they come for Enrique. Barcelona look for a long-term replacement for Abidal (plus he's Spanish).

Man Utd finally get rid of Hargreaves, Tiote could be the athletic DM they've needed for years. Abramovich continues to pump transfer funds into Chelsea, so they bid £15m. West Ham stay up, and Redknapp finally gives up on Parker, guess which DM they come for.

Call my viewpoint grim, but with these bastards as owners I've lost all optimism for this club. Just think we're going to become a conveyor belt for talent, Ashley's cash cow.

Ashley will be lucky if he ever breaks even let alone makes a profit out of Newcastle United.

We're hardly Ashley's cash cow FFS, he hasn't made any money out of us and stands very little chance of ever doing so.

You seriously think he can't turn this club into a "nice little earner" for himself? Decreasing wage bill, emphasis placed on "developing young players" to be harvested in the future - leading to increasing revenue from transfer sales.

He sold Carroll for £35 million, Tiote and Enrique could realistically go for a combined £22 million. This situation would put him £47 million in profit from 3 players. Let's say Ben Arfa has a good season next term, he could be worth £12-15 million by the end of 2011/12.

And he would still be considerably short of the £200M plus he has already invested into the club.

So no, I think it is a long way from becoming a cash cow or a 'nice little earner'.

He'd still possess the value of the club though in absence of those players (a value which will have increased in the mean time). Furthermore, with ticket income remaining strong and guaranteed, if people take him up on 3+ year deals, he'll also have a relatively cheap wage bill. With television money having leaped up recently also, of course.

Do we have any genuine reason to believe he is going to personally pocket the £35M from the sale of Andy Carroll and all transfer income from future player sales?

Ticket income may be strong but not guaranteed(opt out clause at the end of each season), the value of the club remains but so would the debt that the club has.

Value of club includes any assets the club has (including players) so selling them would decrease value of the club.

No, because the club now has the value of the player in cash form. Hypothetically, if someone bought the club from him tomorrow, they'd also effectively be buying Andy Carroll's value (either in terms of an available balance, or more likely reduced debts).

Yes, but the value of Assets at the club in terms of playing squad has fallen.  If that £35M is spunked then the value of was spent and then wasted will have gone from the club.

Indeed, or it might be well invested or not invested at all. And the team might do better or worse without him. So selling Carroll doesn't necessarily do anything to the club's value.

Your right, as with Assets they can rise or fall.  Tiote and Ben Arfa will be assets which are likely to rise, especially with Tiote.

Which is why I disagreed and said Ashley can sell players and keep making money... :D

That is correct, as long as we replace every player sold with a player with equal potential to that we'll make a profit on them.  Isn't this what ashley has said he wants to do anycase ?!?

Give or take, yep. Although the replacement player doesn't have to be as good as the player who just left, just ideally good enough to ensure the rest of the club doesn't lose any earning potential (largely through ticket sales and television money). That way you can sell high, buy cheap and pocket the profit.

Brilliant if you are Ashley, but is that what you want our football club to become?!

If it get's rid of him sooner, I'm all for it.

Carroll would have had a value of zero in our official accounts because a) we never paid a fee for him and b) it's not his first contract at the club.

We'll make a nice profit this year. That, I'm pretty sure of given how Ashley has slashed wages, made a profit on transfers and will be pocketing the highest tv revenue in a few years. Of course, we've made a hefty loss in the past few years so it's possible that Ashley will consider this year as a step toward recouping his investment and thus won't spend in the summer.

Indeed. Given that and everything else he and his people have done, and everything everyone has ever said about them, I don't trust them with that profit in the slightest. Seems some still do for some reason.

Carroll would have had a value of zero in our official accounts because a) we never paid a fee for him and b) it's not his first contract at the club.

We'll make a nice profit this year. That, I'm pretty sure of given how Ashley has slashed wages, made a profit on transfers and will be pocketing the highest tv revenue in a few years. Of course, we've made a hefty loss in the past few years so it's possible that Ashley will consider this year as a step toward recouping his investment and thus won't spend in the summer.

Is that right? I would have thought that all our assets would have a value on the balance sheet. Not that I know much about this stuff!

Well he saved a good £55 million on wages last season alone. Even with the players we've signed since, our wage bill can only have gone up £15 million a year. I'd say compared to this time 20 months ago, our wage bill has decreased by at least £40 million a year. Neesy, I don't think Ashley is trying to get us relegated this season. 2008/09 however ...

£55M, hahahaha.  Where you getting those figures from? NUST???

No chance that owen, martins, viduka, beye, duff, bassong, xisco were on £55M between them.

January 2009 - January 2010 (Being modest, I think)

Given - £60k

N'somnia - £30k

Owen - £105k a week

Bassong - £30k

Viduka - £65k

Martins - £75k

Cacapa - £30k

Beye - £30k

Duff - £70k

Gonzalez - £10k (being very modest)

Geremi - £40k

Comes to around £50 million a year.

Given - £3m

Insomia - £1.5m

Owen - £5m

Bassong - 500k (no chance bassong was on 30k)

Viduka - £3.5M

Martins - £3.5M

Cacapa - £1.5M

Beye - 1.75M

Duff - £3M

Gonzalez - 500k

Geremi - £2.5M

Grand Total Of:

Around £25M a year.

You need to back to school mate.

To get £50 million I added the player sales to the saving in wages. Go back to school ..? Jeeze.

Well he saved a good £55 million on wages last season alone.

:kinnear:

Fair play, but the question is whether he'd really want to go if it's that profitable and he's given an easy ride by people.

Well he saved a good £55 million on wages last season alone. Even with the players we've signed since, our wage bill can only have gone up £15 million a year. I'd say compared to this time 20 months ago, our wage bill has decreased by at least £40 million a year. Neesy, I don't think Ashley is trying to get us relegated this season. 2008/09 however ...

£55M, hahahaha.  Where you getting those figures from? NUST???

No chance that owen, martins, viduka, beye, duff, bassong, xisco were on £55M between them.

January 2009 - January 2010 (Being modest, I think)

Given - £60k

N'somnia - £30k

Owen - £105k a week

Bassong - £30k

Viduka - £65k

Martins - £75k

Cacapa - £30k

Beye - £30k

Duff - £70k

Gonzalez - £10k (being very modest)

Geremi - £40k

Comes to around £50 million a year.

Given - £3m

Insomia - £1.5m

Owen - £5m

Bassong - 500k (no chance bassong was on 30k)

Viduka - £3.5M

Martins - £3.5M

Cacapa - £1.5M

Beye - 1.75M

Duff - £3M

Gonzalez - 500k

Geremi - £2.5M

Grand Total Of:

Around £25M a year.

You need to back to school mate.

To get £50 million I added the player sales to the saving in wages.

I can't believe I've just witnessed Neesy schooling someone on N-O :lol: this is Hall of Fame worthy :mackems:

I thought it was pretty clear he was including the transfer value, to be fair... But yeah, this hasn't looked good, I'll give you that, heh...

I didn't find it that clear tbh because his original post said:

"Well he saved a good £55 million on wages last season alone."

You know, Ashley has taken a lot of shit in the past few years but we're actually being run like a football is supposed to be, given the financial constraints on us. Eventually, every club will have to be run like us, making a small profit/loss each year and trying to improve through bargains. The model that City and Chelsea run is unsustainable and eventually they will have to change. How long that takes is an obvious unknown, but maybe, just maybe, we'll be better off if we have our finances in order when the other clubs collapse under the weight of the debt so that we can take advantage. Or our conservatism will leave us way too far behind and thus making it impossible to catch up with the teams in the CL. If you take the latter view, then what City are doing is correct because they will consolidate their position in the top 4 with CL revenue and make it improbable that we'll overtake them in the near future.

You think that this club becoming profitable would make him more likely to sell up? :lol:

He's a businessman. And you were the one telling me to go back to school!

Guest neesy111

Fair play, but the question is whether he'd really want to go if it's that profitable and he's given an easy ride by people.

It'll take him a long time even on that model for him to make his money back.

I'm sure with the negative publicity etc, he would rather get rid of us.

To get £50 million I added the player sales to the saving in wages. Go back to school ..? Jeeze.

Well he saved a good £55 million on wages last season alone.

:kinnear:

The technical term for it is a brain fart, it's not the biggest deal.

Sevilla has this policy in early noughties and Arsenal still do.  Doesn't exactly hamper them though.

Yes, but they didn't have Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias running running them :facepalm:

Guest neesy111

You think that this club becoming profitable would make him more likely to sell up? :lol:

He's a businessman. And you were the one telling me to go back to school!

Hardly any one has ever made a good amount of money from football (except Shepherd and Hall).  If Ashley wants to recoup the £150M of debts we have even making £10M a season he'll need to be here for another £15 seasons.

Ashley will sell-up when he get's most of his money back.

You know, Ashley has taken a lot of shit in the past few years but we're actually being run like a football is supposed to be, given the financial constraints on us. Eventually, every club will have to be run like us, making a small profit/loss each year and trying to improve through bargains. The model that City and Chelsea run is unsustainable and eventually they will have to change. How long that takes is an obvious unknown, but maybe, just maybe, we'll be better off if we have our finances in order when the other clubs collapse under the weight of the debt so that we can take advantage. Or our conservatism will leave us way too far behind and thus making it impossible to catch up with the teams in the CL. If you take the latter view, then what City are doing is correct because they will consolidate their position in the top 4 with CL revenue and make it improbable that we'll overtake them in the near future.

Agree, this is basically why I don't let my hatred for Ashley get out of hand. He's made a fair few mistakes but his approach to finances isn't one of them.

The only alternative is massive spending from his personal wealth, which he obviously isn't going to do. So it's pointless moaning about it.

Guest neesy111

Sevilla has this policy in early noughties and Arsenal still do.  Doesn't exactly hamper them though.

Yes, but they didn't have Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias running running them :facepalm:

From our signings this season in Ben Arfa and Tiote i would say things are going in the right direction transfer policy wise.

Is that right? I would have thought that all our assets would have a value on the balance sheet. Not that I know much about this stuff!

Players are valued at what they cost us. That value is then wrtitten down over the duration of the contract. Carroll cost us nothing so his value in the balance sheet would have been nothing.

There's a lot to be said for it, it's true. Part of why it's so frustrating he employs a pack of wankers to do his bidding and isn't really on the club's side.

Guest neesy111

Players are valued at what they cost us. That value is then wrtitten down over the duration of the contract. Carroll cost us nothing so his value in the balance sheet would have been nothing.

That is true, but a buyer will always value what a team is worth in their own terms, not what is written on paper.