José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Well all those other clubs managed to survive (ie still exist) and some of them were surely in far worse states than us.

They are all still there, some have been through administration and are shadows of what they were (in football terms). But any talk, at the time of their demise, of say Leeds or Portsmouth not existing was so out of the question as to be laughable?  Don't think so.

The question was of them not existing. Even after everything Leeds and Portsmouth went through, they still exist. It's often said that the situation at Leeds was so bad it could never happen again, and they still exist. I can remember reading about how they'd structured things and it was ludicrous. And yet - even though it's taken ten years of rebuilding - they're now competing for a place back in the Premier League. To me, the club is simply too big and too well supported to cease to exist and we're the same.

You're the financial expert, and not once did I say the finances were not in a poor state or that Ashley's cash injection didn't help massively. I just believe the finger pointing at Leeds (and latterly Portsmouth, a wank club with a tiny stadium and no support) is tantamount to scaremongering.

Guest sicko2ndbest

P*rds interview online with BEEB

Reporter:  "When players are in form like that, other people get interested.  Are you prepared for that in the Summer"?

P*rds: "yes of  course, we are prepared for everything.  Its always difficult, you want  to keep your best players".

Adios Jose.

He is not talking about Jose

Er, yes his.  Prepared for everything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9397572.stm

;)

The question was of them not existing. Even after everything Leeds and Portsmouth went through, they still exist. It's often said that the situation at Leeds was so bad it could never happen again, and they still exist. I can remember reading about how they'd structured things and it was ludicrous. And yet - even though it's taken ten years of rebuilding - they're now competing for a place back in the Premier League. To me, the club is simply too big and too well supported to cease to exist and we're the same.

You're the financial expert, and not once did I say the finances were not in a poor state or that Ashley's cash injection didn't help massively. I just believe the finger pointing at Leeds (and latterly Portsmouth, a w*** club with a tiny stadium and no support) is tantamount to scaremongering.

My guess is that without Ashley we would have gone into admin, lost a few players, got relegated and possibly came back up.  The problem is that in reality we've done all of that anyway except that in admin we'd have had our debt written off.

This is just getting stupid, i doubt Tiote or Jose will be off in the summer, but we have always sold a player if a significantly bigger club comes in for them. If we are genuinely blessed with 3 such players attracting offers in two windows then we are in pretty remarkable times.

Anyone care to list the players who have attracted significant bids in the past that we have managed to hold onto?

We don't know what bids we've had in the past as they're usually kept out of the press.

Oh come on, do you really think that if there were large bids in the past from bigger clubs tempting our players it wouldn't be leaked by the club wanting the player, the agent or even ourselves? Give over, the only example Shepherd could pull out his ass to show how he could hold onto players was a pitiful, couple of million offer from Liverpool for Shearer in his dotage.

Fact is, we are no worse off in respect of losing our best players than we have ever been; and the high pitched whining going on at the moment is, I would argue, an annoying by-product of finally having some players worthy of turning heads.

Oh come on, if you think that if there we bids in the past from bigger clubs wanting our players it wouldn't be leaked by the club wanting the player, the agent or even ourselves? Give over, the only example Shepherd could pull out his ass was a pitiful offer from Liverpool for Shearer in his dotage.

Fact is, we are no worse off in respect of losing our best players than we have ever been; and the high pitched whining going on at the moment is, I would argue, an annoying by-product of finally having some players worthy of turning heads.

So because something hasn't been reported then it didn't happen, OK.

Oh come on, if you think that if there we bids in the past from bigger clubs wanting our players it wouldn't be leaked by the club wanting the player, the agent or even ourselves? Give over, the only example Shepherd could pull out his ass was a pitiful offer from Liverpool for Shearer in his dotage.

So because something hasn't been reported then it didn't happen, OK.

Are you seriously telling me that it wouldn't be reported? I can't think of a single attempted high profile transfer that hasn't been covered or leaked at some point, and yet you can't even find me one example of where we have turned down significant advances in the past. As I said, even Freddy Shepherd couldn't find one to illustrate his arguement other than that piss poor Shearer effort. Ultimately, we have never held onto a player in his prime courted by a 'bigger' club (in a players eyes at least), nor turned down any large bids.

In the current scenario, if we do actually hold onto any of them (Tiote/Enrique etc), not only would that show impressive intent, but would also be almost certainly unprecedented.

Some but not all transfers, bids make the media.. fact is come the summer we WILL be getting lots of interest in Tioe & Jose and probably others. I really hope we can keep them but the way things go here I won't be shocked to see both sold.

No way am I signing up for a ten year season ticket deal, if n the summer they are willing to sell players like Jose & Tiote.

You do know you can opt out at any point (well any summer anyway) don't you? Not really losing out by signing up if you were going to get a 1 year one anyway.

You're the financial expert, and not once did I say the finances were not in a poor state or that Ashley's cash injection didn't help massively. I just believe the finger pointing at Leeds (and latterly Portsmouth, a w*** club with a tiny stadium and no support) is tantamount to scaremongering.

My guess is that without Ashley we would have gone into admin, lost a few players, got relegated and possibly came back up.  The problem is that in reality we've done all of that anyway except that in admin we'd have had our debt written off.

:lol:

I think you should probably reconsider the 'realities' of that post.

Are there any examples of clubs who've gone into admnistration and come straight back up?!

How many Premier League clubs have disappeared due to financial problems? None. Only one has ever gone into administration and they were punching way above their weight to start with.

The club's finances were in a poor state when Ashley arrived but some go way overboard with it IMO.

And people forget that it was Ashley that brought in the likes of Colo, Enrique, Gutierrez and Xisco on £40k+ wages? (Never mind signing players like Geremi, Smith, Viduka and Cacapa on ridiculous wages as well when he first came here).

There's no scaremongering ffs. We were f*cked. It might have  involved administration or it might have  involved someone with wings coming in to bale us out but tell me how you get out of the shyte we were in and you've got an audience.

There's no scaremongering ffs. We were f*cked. It might have  involved administration or it might have  involved someone with wings coming in to bale us out but tell me how you get out of the shyte we were in and you've got an audience.

I never said we weren't 'fucked', or that I could explain anything, aren't you even reading my posts? I disputed the notion that the club MAY NOT EXIST. Something that hasn't happened to any club anywhere near the top division, not even Leeds or Portsmouth.

Guest neesy111

We made losses for 5 years, had debt of around £150M if we had went into administration it would of been disastrous and the consequences unthinkable.

How many Premier League clubs have disappeared due to financial problems? None. Only one has ever gone into administration and they were punching way above their weight to start with.

The club's finances were in a poor state when Ashley arrived but some go way overboard with it IMO.

And people forget that it was Ashley that brought in the likes of Colo, Enrique, Gutierrez and Xisco on £40k+ wages? (Never mind signing players like Geremi, Smith, Viduka and Cacapa on ridiculous wages as well when he first came here).

Who has forgotten that? He owned the club and backed his manager first up. A mistake of course, followed by a badly thought out over reaction - you don't want Colo and  Enrique (and more controversially Jonas maybe) to play for us? He's funded every decision he's made.

Guest neesy111

Who has forgotten that? He owned the club and backed his manager first up. A mistake of course, followed by a badly thought out over reaction - you don't want Colo and  Enrique (and more controversially Jonas maybe) to play for us? He's funded every decision he's made.

Correct, you also can see he's learned from those mistakes as well.  I think the reason he brought in the managerial structure with wise etc was because of the awful signings Allardyce did and he didn't want to be conned again.

I never said we weren't 'fucked', or that I could explain anything, aren't you even reading my posts? I disputed the notion that the club MAY NOT EXIST. Something that hasn't happened to any club anywhere near the top division, not even Leeds or Portsmouth.

Am I right in saying you are replying to a point made by neesy?

So he employed someone happy to sign players on the basis of Youtube clips. Stunning. :lol:

To be fair Dave, that was a favour to agents to allow us to get the best of the talent in S.America.

Neymar should be signing soon.

Guest neesy111

So he employed someone happy to sign players on the basis of Youtube clips. Stunning. :lol:

Well that was the problem with that structure as well.

He may have funded all the decisions but the majority have been bad decisions(often quite terrible) that have cost the club money. Instead of writing off these bad decisions that he has made he wants to recuperate the losses with little regard for the direction of the club.

That's correct in this thread, but it has been cited by a number of people previously.

Guest neesy111

I did open a big can of worms, but it started earlier about Ashley cashing in on Jose.