José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Oh I am sure there will be a lot more interest than just Liverpool, with any luck IF he is going to go it will be back to Spain.. BUT I am still hoping he will sign a new contract although I think the c***s may be lucking to cash in on him and have no real interest in trying to keep him.

The club wants to keep the best players, but if Enrique wants out, there's little the club can do with it. Offering him a ludicrous amount of money is wrong imo.

I wish I had your faith in the powers that be... IF the offer is £15m from Liverpool then I reckon they would have no interest in keeping Jose.

Oh I am sure there will be a lot more interest than just Liverpool, with any luck IF he is going to go it will be back to Spain.. BUT I am still hoping he will sign a new contract although I think the c***s may be lucking to cash in on him and have no real interest in trying to keep him.

The club wants to keep the best players, but if Enrique wants out, there's little the club can do with it. Offering him a ludicrous amount of money is wrong imo.

I wish I had your faith in the powers that be... IF the offer is £15m from Liverpool then I reckon they would have no interest in keeping Jose.

Well that's the question, nobody really knows how hard the club is trying or not trying to keep certain players, whether the wage limit is too low etc etc.

Some people will decide that the club are at fault because they hate Ashley, and some will decide that they were right to let a player go who didn't really want to stay anyway.

The truth is that nobody has a clue.

There is no justification behind the idea of flogging ANOTHER one of our best players off to f***ing Liverpool.

his contract is running out, which provides the justification

This. I'd imagine every single one of us wan't him to stay, but if he doesn't sign a new contract then it's a simple choice, sell in the summer or see him tie up a pre-contract agreement with someone else in the winter.

Can't see anything 'pathetic' in recognising that or looking for the odd silver linings if he didn't stick with us.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

But Ian, that is the way the club keep things. It's all smoke and mirrors.

I'm interested - which clubs do you consider very open with internal affairs?

It's if he leaves for Lpool, he just going after the money, which is sad. But it's sensible to sell him for £15 mill. Just  put yourself in MA and Pards' position. They're offered £15 mill for a player that got only 1 year left. The absolute worst thing they could do is to continue the contracts negotiations beyond the summer, desperately hoping that he will sign. If the club fails, a key player will probable leave for practically nothing come christmas.  Then we have no money at all buy a decent replacement. And we have to spend money during a window which is well known for its inflated prices. If we're selling him for the quoted amount, not only are we able to buy a good replacement, we will have money left to invest in other players too. Our total squad depth and quality will in other words improve.  And the way Lpool has been spending money lately, I think we'll get the amount Thompson mentioned. It will be f***ing heartbreaking to see him wear that ugly red shirt, but for the club as a whole, it's a sound move.

Wonder why he would want out?

Well thats it... a naff contract offer, so he feels unwanted, wants out they cash in and blame him.

I doubt any fan has any trust at all for Ashley & Lambias so these kind of thoughts enter your head.

But Punk, how long do we go on just selling players like Carroll and Enrique. I know the Carroll deal was massive and very difficult to turn down, but £15m for one of the top LBs in the league, at his age, isn't in the same bracket at all.

I know individually these deals seem OK, but surely there's a wider issue of when we need to hold onto these players to drive the club forward.

We should be begging players like Jose to stay, albeit behind closed doors.

I just hope the club don't try and sugar coat it if he does leave. If they can't afford him (don't want to pay the money), they need to come out and say it and stop pretending that they are a modern foward thinking club who's "hands were tied".

If he moves to Liverpool he will be joining a UEFA cup team at best, so good luck to him because he could do much better.

But he could help turn them from a UEFA Cup team into a Champions League team with one or two other similarly good signings.  No problems with this transfer if it goes through, good luck to him.

Which one of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City do you see dropping out of the top four?

For the record they are miles behind Spurs aswell IMO.

Wonder why he would want out?

Not getting a even a hint of recognition by the selectors for the Spaninsh national team would be high, if not top of the list if I were him.

Whether true or not,  there is clearly an implied bias towards players playing in Spain or a few big name clubs in England including Liverpool.

How can we aim for success if we sell the likes of Jose, its a bad sign to the rest of the squad, the Carroll sale definitely upset things.. they need to show the players that they are serious about aiming higher than just Premier League survival every season. Not every player moves for money but you can bet the offer Jose got included a massive wage cut, and this is going to happen time and time again at this club.

No good having top players if they refuse to pay them good money to stay when other clubs are will to pay them good money to leave. We will constantly lose our best players and end up a club that makes a profit but has a piss poor thin squad that gets relegated.

Guest icemanblue

People have very short memories. He was making all the right noises about renewing his deal, and spending the rest of his career here. Right up until one Andrew Carroll was sold and our level of ambition was shown.

Liverpool aim to win the league every year. We might chuckle at how far off that they may be at present, and the money Man City have now has made things much harder for them, but that's still their ambition every single season without fail. Buying good players only helps them. In 2008/09 when we were relegated they finished second in the Premier League, hardly eons ago.

The difference in ambition couldn't be more marked. It's absolutely laughable that some are questioning why Enrique would want to go there, irrespective of the pay increase he will undoubtedly pick up.

Ashley is profit driven, we are glory driven... no good only wanting to make money from a football club.

It's worse that that he doesn't want to make money, he wants to get back the money he has already lost in the club.

If he wanted to make a profit that he would invest in the team and sell us further down the line. Instead he wants to bleed our assets dry and replace them cheaper.

At the moment he is being lucky and riding the storm, it will come back to haunt him eventually and us.

It is all about ambition and not more cash for Enrique. If NUFC's aim is PL survival every year, whilst the cash still rolls in from selling it's best players, then why should said good players want to stay when there is no ambition?

Guest palnese

Liverpool are willing to spend £35 million on one of the best prospects in English football.

We sold him.

Which team would you rather play for, long-term?

Newcastle