José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Simpson is a poor player, he backs off too much, panics on the ball and struggles badly with his positional play.  He's a very average footballer.

Extremely harsh

I don't think so.  He constantly stands off his man allowing them to get up a head of steam, he looks far too nervy going forward and he constantly slices the ball to nowehere in particular when put under pressure. 

Can't fault his workrate and attitude and he's superb in the air for his size, but I just don't rate him.

Guest TurboTrev

Simpson is a poor player, he backs off too much, panics on the ball and struggles badly with his positional play.  He's a very average footballer.

Extremely harsh

But absolutely true.

My opinion on Simpson is somewhere in between RKO and Nath.  He's certainly not great but I don't think he's a poor player at all.  He's had some excellent games for us this season and at times made some crucial tackles.

Just when we have a core group of talented players to build a squad around and a good team spirit, we look to cash in and build a team with cheaper players.

I can see some logic in the Carroll deal but the selling of key players absolutely has to stop there, we got enough money off that deal without the need to sell more. We've got the core of a good squad and money to spend, we should be looking forward and not dismantling the team further. We are where we are in the table because we have four or five good players who aren't injury prone - take them out and look at the rest of the squad, it's kids, has-beens and never-has-beens. Relegation fodder in other words.

If we lose Enrique on the back of the Carroll deal, it'll cause other ambitious and talented players to look for the exit door. Players like Barton, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Coloccini.

Enrique is the best left back we've had in a long, long time. There may be better left backs going forward, but defensively there are almost none better in this league, and certainly none we can attract. I don't see how any fan would be up for losing a player of his quality. His contract situation is forcing our hand but the club have to do everything possible to keep players like him because they are the reason we are 9th and not 19th.

100% spot on.

Extremely harsh

True though.

The points I agree with, I just wouldn't class him as a "a poor player" or a "very average footballer". He's improved a lot over the past year or so and still has age on his side.

Just when we have a core group of talented players to build a squad around and a good team spirit, we look to cash in and build a team with cheaper players.

I can see some logic in the Carroll deal but the selling of key players absolutely has to stop there, we got enough money off that deal without the need to sell more. We've got the core of a good squad and money to spend, we should be looking forward and not dismantling the team further. We are where we are in the table because we have four or five good players who aren't injury prone - take them out and look at the rest of the squad, it's kids, has-beens and never-has-beens. Relegation fodder in other words.

If we lose Enrique on the back of the Carroll deal, it'll cause other ambitious and talented players to look for the exit door. Players like Barton, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Coloccini.

Enrique is the best left back we've had in a long, long time. There may be better left backs going forward, but defensively there are almost none better in this league, and certainly none we can attract. I don't see how any fan would be up for losing a player of his quality. His contract situation is forcing our hand but the club have to do everything possible to keep players like him because they are the reason we are 9th and not 19th.

100% spot on.

Yeah but... all that money.

Mmm, money.

:sadnod:

Man, this is going to get tedious. :lol: Same scenario will arise when it's time to re-negotiate Coloccinis contract as well, who is the last man out in the big wages but good player we'd like to keep category.

Just face it, Ashley doesn't care how good a player is. Everyone has to work within the limits he has set. There are both positives and negatives with that stance.

Man, this is going to get tedious. :lol: Same scenario will arise when it's time to re-negotiate Coloccinis contract as well, who is the last man out in the big wages but good player we'd like to keep category.

Just face it, Ashley doesn't care how good a player is. Everyone has to work within the limits he has set. There are both positives and negatives with that stance.

Nolan? Barton? Gutierrez?

Ben Arfa?

Where is the line going to be drawn?

100% spot on.

Yeah but... all that money.

Mmm, money.

They might want to sell, but that's hardly a reason not to want to get him signed up to a new contract.

Nolan? Barton? Gutierrez?

Ben Arfa?

Where is the line going to be drawn?

The line could still be drawn at Carroll.

We'll have to wait until the summer to see.

The club doesn't want to sell him. They have to, since he's refusing to sign a new contract. Enrique is replaceable imo. He's a good lb, but not the best in the league.

Yeah, but we're about the 10th best club in the league and he's about the 4th best LB. That's a rough guess, but you see what I mean!

The club doesn't want to sell him. They have to, since he's refusing to sign a new contract. Enrique is replaceable imo. He's a good lb, but not the best in the league.

I genuinely don't know where to start with that post :lol:

As if we're in a position to attract the best in the league.  :lol:

I don't think we know enough about the situation to come of those conclusions at the moment.  I mean we don't even know for certain that he'll leave.

Ben Arfa is already on wages that fits the structure.

But we can wave the structure good bye if me make an exception with Enrique. Then we'll risk unsettling HBA and Tiote..Do people want that?

I was mainly talking about this forum in my first comment. All we are basing this on are a few vague comments Enrique made in january, Phil f***ing Thompson in a Norwegian football studio, and Enriques apparent body language since he hasn't smiled quite as often as he used to, right? Or am I missing something?

Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how this place reacts to vague speculation when Colo's up, especially since he is the highest earner in the club.

There's absolutely no evidence that we're looking to "sell all our best players and replace them on the cheap."

First of all, we've only sold Carroll. Second, we haven't replaced him :razz:

It's a bit difficult when we sold him on the 11th hour on transfer deadline day :)

Proof will be this summer.