José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I know it's good to have good fullbacks, but they need to be tidy rather than brilliant IMO.

What I meant was that there would be very little reason to pay Jose more than Tiote or HBA, for argument's sake.

is the fact that he makes our team significantly better not reason enough?

No, because that would defeat the point of having any limits on wages.

I know it's good to have good fullbacks, but they need to be tidy rather than brilliant IMO.

What I meant was that there would be very little reason to pay Jose more than Tiote or HBA, for argument's sake.

You are killing me man.

Seriously, what the fuck does this club have to do that you won't try and find a way to justify?

You are killing me man.

Seriously, what the fuck does this club have to do that you won't try and find a way to justify?

What are you talking about? Obviously 'improving our team' isn't reason enough to pay someone excessive wages, or we would be back to square one with finances.

I want us to keep him, and I've posted in this thread saying it's difficult to say where the balance should be struck. I'm not trying to justify anything, nothing has even happened FFS.

You are killing me man.

What are you talking about? Obviously 'improving our team' isn't reason enough to pay someone excessive wages, or we would be back to square one with finances.

I want us to keep him, and I've posted in this thread saying it's difficult to say where the balance should be struck. I'm not trying to justify anything, nothing has even happened FFS.

What do you think is a fair wage cap?

You are killing me man.

What do you think is a fair wage cap?

I've no idea, and I've said as much on many threads. It doesn't matter to me how much a footballer gets paid, all of their wages are ridiculous.

Relatively, I would put him in the Tiote/HBA bracket and offer him whatever they're on.

I've also said that I've got very little evidence to judge whether our current wage structure is fair or not. But in principle I'm in favour of the attempt to control wages, and not just fill the squad with players who are only here for the money.

:clap: The essence is that giving Enrique a lucrative contract stops us from getting good players in other positions since we use a lot of capital on tying him down,  and we risk unsettling players that are even more important than Enrique (HBA, Barton, Tiote). Enrique  is not playing better than the 2-3 replacements we get for him. Tawio on the left and a good right back will make the defense more solid and probably create more goals for us than a defense consisting of Enrique and Simpson..

And Colocho if its necessary to break the wage structure to keep Enrique, I guess you're willing to accept the risk of unsettling HBA and Tiote too?

And in your opinion is Enrique one of them?

One of the mercenaries?

Not IMO, there are many reasons why he might want to leave. He is a very good player, in a position that doesn't have very many, he will no doubt have good options if he decides to move on.

£££.

I'd rather see great players in the black and white, than money in the bank. Hey, that's just me though.

So are we to assume that Tiote and Ben Arfa are at the top of the wage structure? What will we do when clubs come in for them, because we won't be able to improve their contracts will we?

If you are going to justify the club selling every good player we have in the future, because the wage structure (which this regime introduced) can't be broken then so be it, I'm done with having discussions with you.

4 PL goals, actually. He most certainly doesn't have 4 assists, anyway.

Best 1 vs West Ham

Best 2 vs West Ham

Ameobi vs Wolves

Ameobi vs Wigan*

I think.

*Technically

It's depressing that if he does go you can bet your bottom dollar the club will portray him as a greedy twat. Even more depressing is the number of fans that will evidently accept that without question.

Again.

Already happening, as evidenced by this thread. Why are Enrique's wages even up for discussion when the man himself has said that it is the club's broken promises and lack of ambition that have him thinking twice about signing up again?

I find the insinuation that one of our top class players, who gave everything to get us out of the mess we were in, is suddenly just out for the money, very unsavoury indeed.

It's depressing that if he does go you can bet your bottom dollar the club will portray him as a greedy twat. Even more depressing is the number of fans that will evidently accept that without question.

Again.

Already happening, as evidenced by this thread. Why are Enrique's wages even up for discussion when the man himself has said that it is the club's broken promises and lack of ambition that have him thinking twice about signing up again?

I find the insinuation that one of our top class players, who gave everything to get us out of the mess we were in, is suddenly just out for the money, very unsavoury indeed.

:thup: at both posts.

£££.

I'd rather see great players in the black and white, than money in the bank. Hey, that's just me though.

So are we to assume that Tiote and Ben Arfa are at the top of the wage structure? What will we do when clubs come in for them, because we won't be able to improve their contracts will we?

You are missing the point. We have the money to satisfy arguably more important players such as HBA and Tiote, so the wages are unlikely to be the stumbling block here.

Best 1 vs West Ham

Best 2 vs West Ham

Ameobi vs Wolves

Ameobi vs Wigan*

I think.

*Technically

The second against WHU and one against Wigan should never be considered assists in a million years.

Best 1 vs West Ham

Best 2 vs West Ham

Ameobi vs Wolves

Ameobi vs Wigan*

I think.

*Technically

The second against WHU and one against Wigan should never be considered assists in a million years.

What world do you live in where a driven cross across the box is not an assist?

Best 1 vs West Ham

Best 2 vs West Ham

Ameobi vs Wolves

Ameobi vs Wigan*

I think.

*Technically

It's how assists have been being awarded for years. Just because it's Lovenkrands doesn't mean it's any different.

£££.

You are missing the point. We have the money to satisfy arguably more important players such as HBA and Tiote, so the wages are unlikely to be the stumbling block here.

But what happens when they want more money? We just let them go? Sell them for a 'tidy profit'.

£££.

If you are going to justify the club selling every good player we have in the future, because the wage structure (which this regime introduced) can't be broken then so be it, I'm done with having discussions with you.

I'll live!

Seriously though, I would rather we kept all our good players.

Unfortunately we can't ignore the financial reality of our situation though. If we don't have an owner who is willing to pour in loads of his own money for signings, the club has to be run within its means.

Anyway, as other people have said, I doubt the deciding factor for Enrique will be money.

Does anyone think there's a level at which some players might say to themselves - 'That's enough, I don't really need more than what I am paid already.'

Obviously their wage would have to be of a good level to begin with and other criteria may have to be met depending on the individual, such as; friends at the club, great team spirit, high league position, enjoying their football etc.

Or is everyone just a mindless mercenary that follows the money?

Best 1 vs West Ham

Best 2 vs West Ham

Ameobi vs Wolves

Ameobi vs Wigan*

I think.

*Technically

What world do you live in where a driven cross across the box is not an assist?

The world of crosses not connecting with the goalscorer perhaps?