José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Does anyone think there's a level at which some players might say to themselves - 'that's enough, I don't really need more than what I am paid already.'

Obviously their wage would have to be of a good level to begin with and other criteria may have to be met depending on the individual, such as; friends at the club, great team spirit, high league position, enjoying their football etc.

Or is everyone just a mindless mercenary that follows the money?

Well I think Jonas and Coloccini will be far less inclined to stick around if Jose leaves, for a start, which will be great news for some, not so for those who like seeing the team winning.

Does anyone think there's a level at which some players might say to themselves - 'That's enough, I don't really need more than what I am paid already.'

Obviously their wage would have to be of a good level to begin with and other criteria may have to be met depending on the individual, such as; friends at the club, great team spirit, high league position, enjoying their football etc.

I think everybody would turn greedy tbh. Thinking about it, most of us would probably say they'd be fine with £5k a week as long as they got to play for Newcastle. But now, if the situation was different and you'd be playing for some random club, you'd look at other people's wages and go "I want more, I'm talented enough to warrant more. I don't necessarily need more, but I still want more." and etc.

I'm probably just ranting, but still.

4 PL goals, actually. He most certainly doesn't have 4 assists, anyway.

Best 1 vs West Ham

Best 2 vs West Ham

Ameobi vs Wolves

Ameobi vs Wigan*

I think.

*Technically

The second against WHU and one against Wigan should never be considered assists in a million years.

What world do you live in where a driven cross across the box is not an assist?

The world of crosses not connecting with the goalscorer perhaps?

It's stilled classed as an assist. He crossed the ball and it went through a couple of players and landed at Best. If he hadn't crossed, Best wouldn't have scored. It's an assist.

Does anyone think there's a level at which some players might say to themselves - 'that's enough, I don't really need more than what I am paid already.'

Well I think Jonas and Coloccini will be far less inclined to stick around if Jose leaves, for a start, which will be great news for some, not so for those who like seeing the team winning.

I agree, kind of covered by the 'friends at the club' clause above. But then that begs the question why is Jose wanting to leave? (If he even really is.)

If the club brings in a few decent to good players in the summer (not impossible), offer Jose an improved terms new contract (quite likely), is he really still going to want away, leaving his mates behind?

Does anyone think there's a level at which some players might say to themselves - 'That's enough, I don't really need more than what I am paid already.'

I think everybody would turn greedy tbh. Thinking about it, most of us would probably say they'd be fine with £5k a week as long as they got to play for Newcastle. But now, if the situation was different and you'd be playing for some random club, you'd look at other people's wages and go "I want more, I'm talented enough to warrant more. I don't necessarily need more, but I still want more." and etc.

I seem to recall Van Nistelroy (sp?) saying the wages he got at Man U were ridiculous, no-one needed that kind of money, and being reprimanded by Fergie/the club for saying anything at all. Personally speaking I would definitely place job satisfaction above more money; especially when we are talking at that level of income.

I seem to recall Van Nistelroy (sp?) saying the wages he got at Man U were ridiculous, no-one needed that kind of money, and being reprimanded by Fergie/the club for saying anything at all. Personally speaking I would definitely place job satisfaction above more money; especially when we are talking at that level of income.

I think the constant emphasis on wages by some supporters says more about them than it does about the players.

I agree, kind of covered by the 'friends at the club' clause above. But then that begs the question why is Jose wanting to leave? (If he even really is.)

If the club brings in a few decent to good players in the summer (not impossible), offer Jose an improver terms new contract (quite likely), is he really still going to want away, leaving his mates behind?

why wouldn't he? he no doubt had mates at villareal but still came here, thats football

£££.

I'd rather see great players in the black and white, than money in the bank. Hey, that's just me though.

So are we to assume that Tiote and Ben Arfa are at the top of the wage structure? What will we do when clubs come in for them, because we won't be able to improve their contracts will we?

You are missing the point. We have the money to satisfy arguably more important players such as HBA and Tiote, so the wages are unlikely to be the stumbling block here.

But what happens when they want more money? We just let them go? Sell them for a 'tidy profit'.

Well, if they've done their jobs, by that stage we'll be in position to offer the wages only a team consistantly challenging in Europe can. :pow:

I seem to recall Van Nistelroy (sp?) saying the wages he got at Man U were ridiculous...

Luque was quoted recently as saying exactly the same about his pay at Newcastle. For him it was the only reason he came to us, and I doubt he is alone in that.

Ok, I hadn't seen the last 10 pages of this thread and have just now seen the Chronicle quotes where Phil Thompson reckons 'it's a done deal.' How the fuck can it be a done deal without tapping up, unless of course it is all actually agreed between the clubs.

[Punk77, Enrique is one of our best attackers, more effective (better ball control, better crosses and faster) than Jonas imo. How you can say he's not that good offensively is beyond me.]

I can only hope that half the best players in France are queuing up to join us thanks to our percieved treatment of Ben Arfa, maybe Taiwo really is eyeing us up.

All said and done I still agree with the principle of a rigid wage structure, though it rather depends on having a competitive higher end to it (relative to other clubs) for it to be effective.

Pretty much every working person wants a raise, even if they don't think tey do. Say you're a secretary, you don't make too much money but you're happy in your job. Then, a new company comes along and offers you a small raise to come work for them. In this scenario, you value your job satisfaction above a meagre raise and turn them down. But then, a week later, another company comes after you, a richer company. They offer you twice what you're on to do the same job, you don't really need the money because you already get by well, but it is more money. Everybody wants more money, even if you don't really need it, so you go work for the rich company instead.

Decent analogy? I'd say it's pretty much the same in "silly money" professions as well, you always hunger for more dosh even if you don't have any use for it as it's the way humans are brought up, money = power.

Ok, I hadn't seen the last 10 pages of this thread and have just now seen the Chronicle quotes where Phil Thompson reckons 'it's a done deal.' How the fuck can it be a done deal without tapping up, unless of course it is all actually agreed between the clubs.

[Punk77, Enrique is one of our best attackers, more effective (better ball control, better crosses and faster) than Jonas imo. How you can say he's not that good offensively is beyond me.]

I can only hope that half the best players in France are queuing up to join us thanks to our percieved treatment of Ben Arfa, maybe Taiwo really is eyeing us up.

All said and done I still agree with the principle of a rigid wage structure, though it rather depends on having a competitive higher end to it (relative to other clubs) for it to be effective.

I think that tapping up is something that happens all the time in football and is pretty much accepted without admitting it goes on.

He was awful yesterday but I think It was more of the fact he had nobody to pass it to,esp after Jonas was doubled on.If he wants to go then fair enough fuck off then....but I will be really pissed off to see another one of our top players going to Liverpool scum

Guest BooBoo

is Cheik M'Bengue any good? Not seen much of him tbh, probably athletic i can imagine but does he have talent as well?

I'm guessing he's black.

Ok, I hadn't seen the last 10 pages of this thread and have just now seen the Chronicle quotes where Phil Thompson reckons 'it's a done deal.' How the f*** can it be a done deal without tapping up, unless of course it is all actually agreed between the clubs.

How can you say that Enrique is a better attacker when Jonas already got 5 assists and two goals this season? And Jonas has secured us plenty of free kicks in good positions-

Guest BooBoo

Enrique is a superb defensive full back. When it comes to attacking he's more limited.

Which for me, is why John Beresford still edges him out as best left back i've seen at the club.

Ok, I hadn't seen the last 10 pages of this thread and have just now seen the Chronicle quotes where Phil Thompson reckons 'it's a done deal.' How the f*** can it be a done deal without tapping up, unless of course it is all actually agreed between the clubs.

How can you say that Enrique is a better attacker when Jonas already got 5 assists and two goals this season? And Jonas has secured us plenty of free kicks in good positions-

Dear Jesus.

Dear Jesus.

:lol:

Liverpool aim to win the league every year. We might chuckle at how far off that they may be at present, and the money Man City have now has made things much harder for them, but that's still their ambition every single season without fail. Buying good players only helps them. In 2008/09 when we were relegated they finished second in the Premier League, hardly eons ago.

The difference in ambition couldn't be more marked. It's absolutely laughable that some are questioning why Enrique would want to go there, irrespective of the pay increase he will undoubtedly pick up.

wouldn't that ambition at all costs have seen torres still wearing red ?

they can afford more than we can right now, it's quite simple really.

Liverpool aim to win the league every year. We might chuckle at how far off that they may be at present, and the money Man City have now has made things much harder for them, but that's still their ambition every single season without fail. Buying good players only helps them. In 2008/09 when we were relegated they finished second in the Premier League, hardly eons ago.

The difference in ambition couldn't be more marked. It's absolutely laughable that some are questioning why Enrique would want to go there, irrespective of the pay increase he will undoubtedly pick up.

wouldn't that ambition at all costs have seen torres still wearing red ?

they can afford more than we can right now, it's quite simple really.

How? Their debts are vastly larger than ours.

And they probably cottoned on to the fact that he looks finished.

Enrique is a superb defensive full back. When it comes to attacking he's more limited.

Which for me, is why John Beresford still edges him out as best left back i've seen at the club.

he defends very well, he attacks well, his basic distribution is often poor and is ultimatly what will keep him out of the national team.