José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Look forget about Enrique, he's going. Source- a player with property assets in Darras Hall, spends most of his time in his own half. End of thread.

Suggested new thread- 'Who's going to replace Enrique?

:lol:

Pointless continuing, might as well move forward but if you want to continue feel free. Personally wont spend another moment worrying about Enrique. It was good while it lasted.

Agreed.

Now that we're mathematically safe (barring Blackpool winning their next three by a combined 22 or more goals), I assume the 'Luis' Enrique contract talks will begin posthaste, yes?

Guest rosstoon

Now we are safe is he going to open talks about a new contract. Onlytine willtell

Guest Loven11

JOSE ENRIQUE feels Newcastle United have laid good foundations for next season after a solid first term back in the Premier League.

The Spaniard chose to remain tight-lipped over his own future, with Liverpool and Bayern Munich linked with the Toon left-back, but admitted he was happy with how the season is ending for United following the 2-1 win over Birmingham City.

And Enrique has thanked the Toon Army for given him a rip-roaring chorus of his name towards the end of the victory over the Blues.

But looking ahead to next season, Enrique told the Chronicle: “To finish in the top 10 is important this season.

“We’ll see what happens next year and which players come to us.

“We have a great squad here though, and we have been very unlucky with injuries.

“Next season we will hopefully get new players and try to build on a top-10 finish.”

The former La Liga ace also feels there is still plenty of spice left in the final two matches of the campaign.

And added: “It would be very nice for us to finish ahead of Sunderland.

“I remember they were happy to see us go down, but now we are in Premier League and we have been better than them so far – it’s important we keep going.

“When you play with one less like Birmingham did, it is hard.

“But we tried to play football for our fans – and that is what we have to keep going,”

Enrique also poured praise on the Geordie fans who chanted his name on Saturday, with his future still far from certain.

He said: “It is always nice to hear that, but we’ll what happens.

“The most important thing is the team.

“I know the fans like me a lot, but we’ll see.”

Enrique revealed his focus for the final two games of the campaign and was satisfied with the performance and three points against Birmingham.

He said: “It was a really good victory for us as a team.

“Now we have confirmed our place in the Premier League, but if we had lost this match it would not have been a good situation.

“It would have been difficult to go to Chelsea if we had lost against Birmingham.

“We want to finish the season on a high. We won this game and it means a less stressful end to the campaign.

“We still have two games left and we’ll try to get six points.

“Maybe we could have won by more, but after they got a red card they put 10 men behind the ball.

“They were trying to hold on to the ball, but it was fine as long as we were winning.

“The most important thing was that we got three points. We would have liked to win 5-1 or 6-1, but it is still three points from winning 2-1.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/05/09/jose-enrique-sees-positive-nufc-foundations-72703-28660486/2/

He may say "We" but MA & Del are saying "bye".. get the feeling its "sign this contract or your sold" the only say Jose will get at negotiation time will be if he has tea or coffee.

Guest Roger Kint

He may say "We" but MA & Del are saying "bye".. get the feeling its "sign this contract or your sold" the only say Jose will get at negotiation time will be if he has tea or coffee.

What do you expect them to do if he wont sign a new deal? The laughable idea that Jose has no say in what happens is a nice touch too.

Still think he'd stay if we showed the requisite ambition to challenge for Europe. Problem is that we'll obviously not allow him to see out his contract, so it's either sign a new one or be sold.

Guest icemanblue

“I remember they were happy to see us go down, but now we are in Premier League and we have been better than them so far – it’s important we keep going."

Hero. He's gone, like.

I understand they are not going to give him the kind of money he is on now in a new contract BUT I get the feeling there is not much room for negotiation, its accept what they offer or be sold.

I understand they are not going to give him the kind of money he is on now in a new contract BUT I get the feeling there is not much room for negotiation, its accept what they offer or be sold.

Any reason for that?

Guest Roger Kint

You make out like its all the club wanting him out not the minor fact its Jose who refused to discuss a contract until we were safe, if he leaves it will largely be because he wants to(nothing wrong with that either if he has international/European ambitions). Obviously like Dave says we will sell if he doesnt sign but to suggest the club holds all the cards is daft. Also you dont know what he is on or what we can offer so even that part is speculation.

Guest Roger Kint

Sounds to me like he just wants to see some ambition. Quite why people keep bringing his wages into it is beyond me.

Unless he has immediate ideas of Europe/Spanish caps then yes i agree. If we can show he has a chance of them here then he could stay although i dont think he will.