Swanky New RB - Too Much To Ask?

Shak

If, as expected, the signings of Enrique and Dragutinovic go through in the next few days then it could be argued that we're pretty much set for next season in terms of squad depth.

At the LB position we'd generally be looking for Jose Enrique to be our regular starter and LB for years to come. We have Dragutinovic then who can play there when Enrique is out or we need a more physical presence there. With us being unlikely to be able to shift Babayaro this year, he'll suffice as 3rd choice and is worth keeping in my opinion, in case Enrique doesn't adjust to the PL straight away. Even if we do sell Baba, we can play N'Zogbia or ultimately even Duff there in case of emergency.

At CB we have Taylor, Rozenhal and Cacapa who will most likely compete for the two spots. I'd expect Taylor and Rozenhal will be given the first chance to prove they're a good tandem, as Cacapa is not expected to be match fit for the season opener at Bolton. After that, we have Dragutinovic who can play at CB as well. So that's 4 solid options with Ramage/Huntington/Edgar being sufficient 5th choice.

The RB spot is somewhat of a question mark though.

In theory, we have 4 players who can play there.

Carr, Geremi, Solano and Taylor.

Personally I would be strongly against Taylor playing there. His future is as a CB for us, and I think he'll play there when fit to start the season anyway, with Rozenhal and Cacapa expected to fight to partner him.

Carr is a big question mark for us this season. Seems the type of player who'll respond well to Allardyce's style, but on the other hand it's been years since he was a good Premiership RB. Solano will always be a risk defensively in that position, while judging by what we've seen from Geremi so far we're better off having him as an option in midfield.

So, if we've got the money and Allardyce feels there is a quality right-back that he can attract to the club then I'd really love to see us go for him. We've then got this new RB to start, being backed up by Carr. There are then the aforementioned options to back them up even further.

Not only does this give us a top quality RB, which we've not had for some time, but it also strengthens the squad in general quite significantly. Solano and Geremi become free to compete for spots in midfield, while Taylor can play exclusively as a CB (something that will become easier with proper quality full-backs) and we aren't relying on Carr to get his act together.

Getting a bit greedy, perhaps, as it's not as much of a concern as LB was (assuming we get the players in we're expected to) but the more I think about it the more I think we'd benefit massively from getting in the best RB we can attract.

If we really wanted to make a push for the CL places we'd buy not just a top quality right back but also splash out on a play making midfielder. We really would have an excellent squad then.

The problem being that there isn't many top quality right backs around which makes the chances of one wanting to join a mid table Premiership team unlikely.

Guest Dr Jeckl

If we really wanted to make a push for the CL places we'd buy not just a top quality right back but also splash out on a play making midfielder. We really would have an excellent squad then.

quality play maker = RIQUELME seems to be out of favour at his club would be great signing,known for be a bit difficult to work with but i'm sure big sam could sort him out(if they could understand eachother anyway).

Yeah. I think the left-back and centre-back spots really needed sorting out and right-back less so. Still welcome a better replacement, obviously.

Woops.

Thought you were having a go at me for starting a new thread on something that had already been discussed. I had a sanctimonious rant planned out against you and everything just in case. :lol:

Guest Guinness

As I've said before as long as the signings of Enrique and Drago go through I'll be happy. I could live with Carr/Nol/Geremi at right back for a while, although if we were to get a right back as well I'd be delighted. Ideally I'd like to see Geremi play in defensive midfield for us, Nobby can do a job at right back but isn't the best defensively, plus I think Big Sam could get the best out of him in a midfield role. Carr has looked much imporved in pre-season, but I have my doubts as to whether he can emulate Nicky Butt, would be fine as back up though.

Would just about be the perfect summer if we were to get a RB on top of the potential signings of Enrique and Drago.

Guest optimistic nit

to be honest having only one weakness in our first team would make me fucking extatic. The thought of having 10 quality players starting for us on matchday with a quality manager makes me feel light headed. Geremi/Solano are good at right back anyway, and i'm feeling so generous i'm even prepared to give steven carr a blank slate :o .

RB: Solano/Geremi/Carr

CB: Taylor/Rozehnal/Cacapa/Dragutinovic/Ramage

LB: Enrique/Dragutinovic/Babayaro

RM: Milner/Geremi/Solano

CM: Barton/Emre/Geremi/Butt/Smith

LM: N'Zogbia/Duff/Luque

We're certainly covered in midfield in my opinion. There's lots of square pegs/round holes as far as the defense is concerned, though. We could do with a right-back but our squad is coming together very nicely. He's bought such versatile players, i fail to see where another two/three would fit in!

Who cares, though! Viva Sam. :lol: 

RB: Solano/Geremi/Carr

CB: Taylor/Rozehnal/Cacapa/Dragutinovic/Ramage

LB: Enrique/Dragutinovic/Babayaro

RM: Milner/Geremi/Solano

CM: Barton/Emre/Geremi/Butt/Smith

LM: N'Zogbia/Duff/Luque

We're certainly covered in midfield in my opinion. There's lots of square pegs/round holes as far as the defense is concerned, though. We could do with a right-back but our squad is coming together very nicely. He's bought such versatile players, i fail to see where another two/three would fit in!

Who cares, though! Viva Sam. :lol: 

We need more players than the average club due to all our injuries lol.

I wonder if Allardyce is thinking of playing Wes Brown there, if Dazza was right in that we're interested of course.

Which wouldn't improve the situation whatsoever. It'd mean just signing someone else who can 'fill in' there, as apposed to actually sorting it. Would be quite disappointed if that was the case.

TBH the premierleague has never really been blessed with great right backs. We've had a few good ones down the years like Neville and Co but they are few and far between.

Richards is about the only one that would fit the criteria for me, after that we would be looking abroad...... that's where Sam comes in.

We aren't desperate though.

At the total risk of getting absolutely discreditted from any kind of valid opinion I actually think that judging by Carr's performances and fitness this pre season, he wouldnt do too badly in a decent defence....

At the total risk of getting absolutely discreditted from any kind of valid opinion I actually think that judging by Carr's performances and fitness this pre season, he wouldnt do too badly in a decent defence....

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Na, actually his performances have improved but it will be interesting to see how he can keep it up for. My guess is not for long TBH. Sam certainly won't be taking any chances.

Guest Geordie Boyo

Geremi got his arse wiped against Boro when he played at right back, in fact ask most Chelsea and Boro fans and they will both say he's very poor at right back much better in the middle.

I know, everyone seems obsessed with him playing at right-back when he's been a class act in that holding role during pre-season. Nobby has also been one of our best players too pre-season in midfield and I hope he continues playing there.

We definitely need a new right-back, but I have a feeling Steven Taylor will be playing in that position this season.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Na, actually his performances have improved but it will be interesting to see how he can keep it up for. My guess is not for long TBH. Sam certainly won't be taking any chances.

True, I would like a new RB but I think that in Carr, Geremi, and even Taylor he does have he option to drop whoever is off form.

Allardyce seems to be signing players that can play in multiple positions, which makes sense since our squad depth isn't great.

Edit: forgot Nobby as well

Geremi got his arse wiped against Boro when he played at right back, in fact ask most Chelsea and Boro fans and they will both say he's very poor at right back much better in the middle.

I know, everyone seems obsessed with him playing at right-back when he's been a class act in that holding role during pre-season. Nobby has also been one of our best players too pre-season in midfield and I hope he continues playing there.

Not obsessed with that at all, agree he's been excellent in midfield so far. Just saying he's an option.

Guest Geordie Boyo

We've got the money to bring in the players we need so there shouldn't be any need to be using other players in positions where they are less effective, unless we have an injury crisis.