Martin O'Neill

NE5

bluelaugh.gif

Judging a manager on the standard of his punditry - fantastic.

That's what I was thinking.  Plenty of good managers make shite pundits.  We get a host of them.

Here's two managers for example that were absolute dogshit:

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Palms/6687/keggy.html

http://www.england2006.co.uk/bobbyrobson.htm

Glad we never had those two. bluelaugh.gif

im not on about making the odd 'bobby-ism', i am on about rabbling on as if you are delirious, the bloke doesnt talk any footballing sense whatsoever

And yet he picked France to win the tournament, while the others all picked teams that went to the QFs at best.

What exactly do you mean by footballing sense?

I agree with you he's a shite pundit. So are a lot of people, including two of Newcastle's greatest managers (and one of England's :wink:).

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Keegan is a fyucking amazing pundit, my personal favourite, and Bobby too, they're funny as out can only imagine both of them doing a game together

What exactly is it he's said that's so obviously wrong?  He talked crap at times, like waffling on about his appearances in the European Cup final, but what exactly are you meaning? 

im not particulary on about tonight, i am on about teh whole of the tiurnament, at times i have just burst out laughing at him, he just goes off on tangents that are not at all related to the topic.

if you watch, lineker kind of swerves him in certain situtions as well. i.e when something seriosu needs to be talked about he ALWAYS asks the two alans to analise it, and i dont blame him!

Guest Hand in Glove

He has a "2-1 FTM" tattoo on his cock. I've seen it.

Roeder has a picture of Shearer tatooed on his arse, I think we got the right man.

bluelaugh.gif

That's what I was thinking.  Plenty of good managers make shite pundits.  We get a host of them.

im not on about making the odd 'bobby-ism', i am on about rabbling on as if you are delirious, the bloke doesnt talk any footballing sense whatsoever

And yet he picked France to win the tournament, while the others all picked teams that went to the QFs at best.

I agree with you he's a shite pundit. So are a lot of people, including two of Newcastle's greatest managers (and one of England's :wink:).

so he was wrong as well then? bluebiggrin.gif

i know what you mean about keegan and bobby, but you always know that they know what they are talking about, despite the odd mistake with a phrase or a name.

with MON its just sureal sometimes, its as if he is putting on an act, or is pissed, or sleeptalking, or all three!

i knwo that being shite pundit doesnt make him a shite manager, i just know that if we had got him, and i had watched him on the bbc this summer, i would be worried about his mental state given some of the things he has come out with!

i seem to remember him being pretty good in the past as well??? him and hanson used to have some good debates

What exactly is it he's said that's so obviously wrong?  He talked crap at times, like waffling on about his appearances in the European Cup final, but what exactly are you meaning? 

im not particulary on about tonight, i am on about teh whole of the tiurnament, at times i have just burst out laughing at him, he just goes off on tangents that are not at all related to the topic.

if you watch, lineker kind of swerves him in certain situtions as well. i.e when something seriosu needs to be talked about he ALWAYS asks the two alans to analise it, and i dont blame him!

Didn't you buy his book, Lovejoy?

I seem to remember you forming a far different impression of him from that.

bluelaugh.gif

so he was wrong as well then?

Better to be wrong on the matter of one missed penalty then pick teams who went out two rounds before them tbh.

Has he been a pundit in the past, I don't remember that?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What exactly is it he's said that's so obviously wrong? He talked crap at times, like waffling on about his appearances in the European Cup final, but what exactly are you meaning?

Are you on about the erotic thriller, She licked me in the night? Aye, thought it was fucking shite also

i did! i liked what i read a lot! it was a biography though and not an autobiography, if it was an auto biography i would still be on it now because the fucker would have gone off on one in every page! bluebiggrin.gif

Guest Hand in Glove

I'll never forget him at France 98 telling Robbie Williams to his face that he was an untalented prick. "I'm amazed that someone who can't sing and can't play guitar has sold so many records", or something along those lines. If that doesn't qualify him as a top quality pundit I don't know what does.

bluelaugh.gif

Better to be wrong on the matter of one missed penalty then pick teams who went out two rounds before them tbh.

aye he has been on the beeb before, it might have been the last world cup or euro 2004? i always got the impression him and hansen didnt like each other but they seemed ok in this tournament?

bluelaugh.gif

i think you have to accept that he was only 'right' out of himself and hansen, as if shearer, wright and leanardo are going to go for anyone else other than their home countries

What exactly is it he's said that's so obviously wrong? He talked crap at times, like waffling on about his appearances in the European Cup final, but what exactly are you meaning?

Are you on about the erotic thriller, She licked me in the night? Aye, thought it was fucking shite also

:lol:

what the fucks your jibba jabba?

Guest thompers

I love the way getting a team promoted in consequtive seasons, promoting leicester and winning a cup and winning scottish titles is average, yet being the 2nd biggest spending club in the country and managing to average 5th best club is somehow a remarkable feat.

There's a balance to be found here.

His achievements aren't shite but neither are they outstanding enough for the way people bang on about him. He is probably a decent enough manager but over the years has definitely been over-hyped by the media. Bottom line is he may not be as good as some think but also not as bad as others think.

I don't particularly rate him. Just an opinion.

Cheers

His achievements aren't shite but neither are they outstanding enough for the way people bang on about him. He is probably a decent enough manager but over the years has definitely been over-hyped by the media. Bottom line is he may not be as good as some think but also not as bad as others think.

Most sensible comment made in this thread tbh :thup:

For some reason, he seemed ill at ease and nervous in the TV studio - not that he's ever been the greatest TV pundit anyway. He needs to be the boss and he was like a fish out of water.

Doesn't mean he's not a great manager though.

I have loved watching MON on MOTD, he has been funny with  light hearted banter, but to judge him as a manager for how he does as  a pundit, fkn ell thats just as bad as  using prem manager for choosing transfer targets.

bluelaugh.gif

so he was wrong as well then? bluebiggrin.gif

i know what you mean about keegan and bobby, but you always know that they know what they are talking about, despite the odd mistake with a phrase or a name.

with MON its just sureal sometimes, its as if he is putting on an act, or is pissed, or sleeptalking, or all three!

i knwo that being shite pundit doesnt make him a shite manager, i just know that if we had got him, and i had watched him on the bbc this summer, i would be worried about his mental state given some of the things he has come out with!

i seem to remember him being pretty good in the past as well??? him and hanson used to have some good debates

thats what I meant at the beginning. With Keegan I always thought he knew what he was talking about, as manager of Newcastle anyway. In Bobby Robson's case, you have to accept his age, he wasn't like that when he was younger, although he did have a strop or two when he was manager of England. He was always enthusiastic. I just think too many people are judging O'Neill on what he was like in the studio. As was pointed out, Souness was always authoritive and talked a good game.

Whatever happens at SJP over the next year or two, the manager is going to be slightly hampered by the financial situation created by Souness' recklessness and bad judgement, whoever it was - Hitzfeld or anyone. Which might be the reason he didn't come, or may not have came, if he had been offered the job anyway.

Time will tell. Roeder will at least have the best interests of the club at heart, which can't be said for the last guy, and maybe Gullit and Dalglish too, which is what led to them all being binned.

Guest Phil K

bluelaugh.gif

And what comes out of his mouth isn't an example of what may come out of his mouth in the dressing room ?

Is there 2 different M O'Ns then ?

I'd say its quite fair to assume its an example of what he may be like as a manager.

bluelaugh.gif

And what comes out of his mouth isn't an example of what may come out of his mouth in the dressing room ?

Is there 2 different M O'Ns then ?

I'd say its quite fair to assume its an example of what he may be like as a manager.

Indeed.

There's a balance to be found here.

I don't particularly rate him. Just an opinion.

Cheers

Agree with that and he's a long ball man too so I'm not sure he would have been the answer had he ended up at the toon.

I'll never forget him at France 98 telling Robbie Williams to his face that he was an untalented prick. "I'm amazed that someone who can't sing and can't play guitar has sold so many records", or something along those lines. If that doesn't qualify him as a top quality pundit I don't know what does.

I remember that aswell, after he said it I'm sure he said something like " but I'll give you 'angels', that was a good song, well done, I really liked that one."

I enjoy his punditry, it is a welcome change from all the normal boring pundits.