Martin O'Neill

NE5

Oh well.

I'm very, very glad he is our "average" manager, and so is pretty much every other Villa fan on the planet.

Everybody thought O'Leary was the dogs bollocks when you got him too

Not really.

oh yes they did.

In the frame to replace Alex Ferguson etc etc blah blah blah

I can only go off my Villa-supporting mate, but he and his friends always disliked O'Leary. 'Hated the twat' in fact, and this isn't based on him saying so, i've worked with him that length of time. By contrast they are all excited like fuck about next season under O'Neill, having seen improvements already.

I wish I could say the same.

Oh well.

I'm very, very glad he is our "average" manager, and so is pretty much every other Villa fan on the planet.

Not really.

oh yes they did.

I can only go off my Villa-supporting mate, but he and his friends always disliked O'Leary. 'Hated the twat' in fact, and this isn't based on him saying so, i've worked with him that length of time. By contrast they are all excited like fuck about next season under O'Neill, having seen improvements already.

I wish I could say the same.

Well, I didn't "like" him, because he's a pug faced, smarmy piece of shite, and a shite manager who lacked responsibility for the position that Leeds are now in, -imo he is just as much to blame as Ridsdale - but its a fact that he was regarded at the time as one of the bright up and coming managers, in the frame to succeed Alex Ferguson and nationally all the press boys and quite a lot of football fans accepted and thought he was precisely that.

Oh well.

Not really.

oh yes they did.

No, no they didn't.

Oh well.

Not really.

oh yes they did.

No, no they didn't.

Ohhhhh yes they did!

Oh well.

Honest question, can you see him now releasing the full potential your club has with the new owners?

Yes. The thing to remember is that MON is just one side of the things that have changed.

Since Ellis went, they have gone about picking the club up, giving it a good shake, and changing pretty much the whole thing from top to bottom. Absolutely everything has either changed, or is in the process of changing.

Outside the managers at the big four, I can't think of a better man for the manager's job than MON. He's not infallible, he's dropped a few bollocks this season, but the man has got things right by and large. His signings will settle next season, Petrov is looking much better of late, Young looks like a quality prospect, Maloney is a good prospect too. If he can buy sensibly, a bit of experience in the positions we need strengthening over the summer, then we'll do well next year.

I don't necessarily want him to go out and spunk 50m on huge names, I want him to strengthen the squad with some very good players - so that we can evolve slowly, improve consistently whilst the club is changing.

We had the EC winning team with the cup on the pitch before Sheff United the other day, and I can honestly say it was the most positive day I've had there in decades, seeing the achievements from the past and what we can aspire to, but also thinking forwards ... the optimism at the moment is absolutely incredible.

Oh well.

Not really.

oh yes they did.

No, no they didn't.

Ohhhhh yes they did!

oooooooohhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyeeeeeeessssssss they did !!!!!

Oh well.

Honest question, can you see him now releasing the full potential your club has with the new owners?

Yes. The thing to remember is that MON is just one side of the things that have changed.

Since Ellis went, they have gone about picking the club up, giving it a good shake, and changing pretty much the whole thing from top to bottom. Absolutely everything has either changed, or is in the process of changing.

Outside the managers at the big four, I can't think of a better man for the manager's job than MON. He's not infallible, he's dropped a few bollocks this season, but the man has got things right by and large. His signings will settle next season, Petrov is looking much better of late, Young looks like a quality prospect, Maloney is a good prospect too. If he can buy sensibly, a bit of experience in the positions we need strengthening over the summer, then we'll do well next year.

I don't necessarily want him to go out and spunk 50m on huge names, I want him to strengthen the squad with some very good players - so that we can evolve slowly, improve consistently whilst the club is changing.

We had the EC winning team with the cup on the pitch before Sheff United the other day, and I can honestly say it was the most positive day I've had there in decades, seeing the achievements from the past and what we can aspire to, but also thinking forwards ... the optimism at the moment is absolutely incredible.

M'ON will do you proud. I'm convinced as early as next season you will start seeing the benefits of having him in charge. I think Villa were a bit rotten when he took over, similar although not quite as bad as the job Allardryce will have here. I will easily put a couple of quid on them finishing top6 next season.

Aye the future is bright for Villa. Without looking to much into their squad:

Strikers: Carew, Adbangthhor, Moore and Young (not a bad little four)

Midfielders: Petrov, Barry, Maloney, McCann (decent with a right mid added)

Defenders: Mellberg, Bouma, Lausen (have all improved under O'Neill)

A couple of signings and they should be looking to europe but not if us and big sam can help it.

A couple of signings and they should be looking to europe but not if us and big sam can help it.

It all looks pretty average to me.

McCann will hopefully be off. Don't forget Steve Davis in midfield ( he won't be sold in the summer),  and also - and here's a tip for next season - Craig Gardner is the latest kid to have moved up from the academy, he's going to be a decent player.

Also, Gary Cahill in centre of defence. That boy will play for England.

If clubs like us, you, Everton and Spurs don't start mounting proper challenges soon, then we may as well all cancel our Sky subs and go and watch non league instead.

I remain convinced that MON will do a great job at Villa, and that his input will start to show benefits from next season. I fully expect them to be challenging Spurs for 5th place.

He is going to prove many people wrong on this site...

We are at least a season behind them, and it will show next year.

Guest kingdawson

As ive always said, Villa already have a good squad with a top class manager. With a couple of new signings they should make Europe next season.

Sam Allardyce? David Moyes? Mark Hughes? Martin Jol? Maybe Steve Coppell, Aidy Boothroyd, Roy Keane?

I don't think MON is that great as some others might think, I think Allardyce, Moyes, Hughes, Jol, Coppell and O'Neill are possibly in the same class with minor differences.

But I can't agree that Glenn Roeder is better than MON :lol:

MON will stay at Villa until Mad Sir Alex quits

I'm of the opinion Sparky is more likely to take over than O'Neill - I can't put my finger on it but I think he's going to be real quality...

Sam Allardyce? David Moyes? Mark Hughes? Martin Jol? Maybe Steve Coppell, Aidy Boothroyd, Roy Keane?

I don't think MON is that great as some others might think, I think Allardyce, Moyes, Hughes, Jol, Coppell and O'Neill are possibly in the same class with minor differences.

But I can't agree that Glenn Roeder is better than MON :lol:

I wouldn't take any of those mentioned above MON, wouldn't need a nanosecond's thought.  And as for Aidy Boothroyd, dear oh dear, one season in the premiership playing the worst long ball football seen in years, then relegation well before the season end? Nein danke.

Something worth remembering is that MON isn't just managing the team, he is deeply involved in the whole restructuring of every aspect of the club at the moment.

MON will stay at Villa until Mad Sir Alex quits

I'm of the opinion Sparky is more likely to take over than O'Neill - I can't put my finger on it but I think he's going to be real quality...

I think MON will stay a few years. I also doubt if the Glazers would want to appoint an "I'll run the whole thing" style manager given the choice.

I can see Hughes ending up there, or possibly Keane if he does well with Sunderland.

Something worth remembering is that MON isn't just managing the team, he is deeply involved in the whole restructuring of every aspect of the club at the moment.

David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, Aidy Boothroyd are all known for restructuring the whole club!

David Moyes - Been in the club for 5 years, steadying the ship and pushing the club forward gradually. Academy has been flourishing under him

Sam Allardyce -

Mark Hughes - Build a one of the (maybe the) highest qualified backroom

Roy Keane - Bring in reputed coach and physio

Aidy Boothroyd - The extent of his work is not much known to me except that he has brought in Keith Burkinshaw as his assistant manager and his scouting is extensive judging from the players he brings in.

All these managers work without Director of Football.

Steve Coppell and Martin Jol work with DOF.

Not to knock MON off any credits but I don't being involved in restructuring the whole club is a big deal.

Even Roeder is supposed to be involved in similar activities.

David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, Aidy Boothroyd are all known for restructuring the whole club!

David Moyes - Been in the club for 5 years, steadying the ship and pushing the club forward gradually. Academy has been flourishing under him

Sam Allardyce -

Mark Hughes - Build a one of the (maybe the) highest qualified backroom

Roy Keane - Bring in reputed coach and physio

Aidy Boothroyd - The extent of his work is not much known to me except that he has brought in Keith Burkinshaw as his assistant manager and his scouting is extensive judging from the players he brings in.

All these managers work without Director of Football.

Steve Coppell and Martin Jol work with DOF.

Not to knock MON off any credits but I don't being involved in restructuring the whole club is a big deal.

Even Roeder is supposed to be involved in similar activities.

If you did a straw poll of all supporters of other clubs on which of those they'd prefer, how do you think the results would look?

Works with DOF? So what? Brought in reputed coach and physio? Aidy Boothroyd may work with KB but he also got Watford relegated whilst playing dire football.

The others are good managers, but i stand by my point, I wouldn't have any over MON.