A word of caution, between all the optimism.

NSG

I think it's high time someone put an end to all the positivity all here! We really need to be careful that we don't get pushed into a false sense of security. Half the lads still barely know each other and the rest are scraps that finished 13th. It will probably take time for them to gel into a team. All the early signs are positive. But we're not Manchester United, we can't just slip a galactico in here and there and still play brilliant football. Big Sam has a long term plan. But the short term aim is simple: European qualification.

I just hope people don't turn into the annual angry mob if we lose at Bolton and Boro and fail to beat Villa.

All the signs are good, but let's not get carried away.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's high time someone put an end to all the positivity all here! We really need to be careful that we don't get pushed into a false sense of security. Half the lads still barely know each other and the rest are scraps that finished 13th. It will probably take time for them to gel into a team. All the early signs are positive. But we're not Manchester United, we can't just slip a galactico in here and there and still play brilliant football. Big Sam has a long term plan. But the short term aim is simple: European qualification.

I just hope people don't turn into the annual angry mob if we lose at Bolton and Boro and fail to beat Villa.

Aye I agree, I tend to get the feeling with most fans this season though that we're willing to be more patient despite the renewed sense of optimism.

Guest Knightrider

Don't worry NSG, if we don't sign a back-up LB, it will all be doom and gloom again anyway...

Agree with your post BTW

Patience is a virtue that we have had to develop over the many years of almost being there.  I, personally have no shortage of it.

But, in reality the way Newcastle have shown in pre season gives me loads of optimism, I have been to all the home friendlies and think that we have played really well in all of them.  We have good reason to feel optimistic while keeping our feet firmly planed on the ground.

If we lose at Bolton and Boro and fail to beat Villa, it is a nailed on certainty that this forum will be an angry mob, and that a few predictable posters will blame Mike Ashley and Chris Mort.

Guest Toonie

Fuck if we lose to Bolton, all i have to say is SAM OUT!! Shearer IN!! Let people be happy, we've had a year of total shit under Roeder, forgive out excitement as we actually have a chance for top 6 if not top 4.

Things have improved dramatically in the space of 3 months.

Last years wish-list

People wanted the chairman to sell to a rich billionaire with ambitions. Check.

People wanted a half-decent manager. Check.

People wanted rid of the our shite defenders. Check.

People wanted us to strengthen the attack. Check.

People wanted us to strengthen the midfield. Check.

People wanted us to strengthen the defence. Check.

What exactly is wrong with being happy about all that?

Last years wish-list

This board didn't get the monnika neurotics online by chance.

Last years wish-list

:lol: I thought you meant the new chairman for a moment there...

Last years wish-list

:lol: I thought you meant the new chairman for a moment there...

The meeting is tomorrow btw. Janitor is really up for it.... blueyes.gif

There is a fair chance that at least one of our new signings will disappoint, but thats football, it is rare to get every signing right first time.

Dare you to name which one you think its going to be.

In 2005, I was delighted with all our summer signings. Most were a let down. Fact is, you can just never predict how they'll do until they are thrown in, and it will take a while to work out just how well a player is doing.

I remember when we signed Gooch, and he was the answer, yet when I got from the Fulham game on his debut, I realised he might not be up to it, and a few games later the general consensus on here was that he was one for the scrapheap.

But it does take quite a few games to really see howa player will fare, so I'm not going to unfairly target a player, particularly as I know nothing about Capaca and Enrique.

I'll stick my neck out though and say that it won't be Geremi.

Guest 22bnw

Well said. http://www.newcastle-online.com/2007/07/10/a-glass-half-full-of-pessimism/

Guest unrealterrorist

There is a fair chance that at least one of our new signings will disappoint, but thats football, it is rare to get every signing right first time.

Dare you to name which one you think its going to be.

We have never had a good Spaniard to date thats all i am saying. Please let me be wrong please please please...

I have the same feeling.

Well basically i don't feel any different this season to whay i have any other.

But with Allardyce,he can turn a lot more around than just the performances on the pitch