Official Singing Section

kane2005
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hi, this is just a bit of widespread research amongst newcastle fans to see whether the fans believe a singing section should be made available at st james park. It has been posted on all of the newcastle united forums and we are aiming to see whether or not the fans are in favour of this idea.

The reason for this Question is because two members from our organisation , have a planned meeting with newcastle united officials to discuss what help the club could give us regarding a singing section or places to store our banners , flags , surfers etc.

Please be honest in your answer , also give any ideas , facts , opinions which we may use as quotes in our meeting with the club.

Thanks

Guest Texasmag

100% NO

Everyone should sing!!!

To create a singing section would give the rest an excuse to sit in silence.

I agree with you Skirge, but maybe it would encourage the silent ones to sing.

What is your organization?

And wouldn't several smaller singing sections scattered about the ground lead to a better atmosphere with everyone?

'Bring back the noise'....a.k.a Toon Ultras.

2 of our older members are going to get suited up and try and organise some sort of meeting, please don't mock us, we're trying to move onwards and upwards and make our ambitions known to you so that we can all make St James' a better place to be. Besides, the more votes in our favour, and quotes we can use, the more stastistical information we have to combat arguments made against a singing section.

Also for those who are FOR a singing sections , any ideas on where you think a singing section would be best suited would be appreciateid too.

My own view is that what we should actually be talking about here is "standing" sections, and they would 'automatically' take care of the singing-section issue. Standing areas at SJP would automatically become like an 'away section' and would attract those who would start the singing off!

I have had this discussion before, but I am certain that "safe" standing areas could be created, that would really improve the atmosphere at home games.

My preference for the location of these is at one (or both) of the ends (Gallowgate and Leazes) in a sort of 'central-section', stretching from just up from pitch level to (say) halfway up and covering about one third - in the centre - of the width of the end (if you can understand what I am trying to say!!).

It would increase attendences too (would please Ashley) and even if the tickets were, naturally, cheaper, the increased numbers would more than compensate the club for the lower prices.

The natural consequence of these areas would be that they would be 'singing' areas also, because of those of us who would stand there.

Just a thought!!

whole ground should sing not a section, 50,000 geordies singing would boost the players confidence and would be more enjoyable

Says Kev, aged 14.

whole ground should sing not a section, 50,000 geordies singing would boost the players confidence and would be more enjoyable

Yes, but we're trying to function in the real world at the moment.

Personally think the singing section is a fantastic idea. Though, as someone said, I'd rather a few smaller singing sections than one big fuck-off one. Spread them around, one in each stand.

It's a lot easier to sing along with others than it is to start chants yourself. If we had a decent noise coming from a few sections at all times, it would definitely help the rest of the ground to get in the mood for it.

Spreading them around would also encourage others to sing better than one big section IMO, as you'd have noise all around the stadium rather than just coming from one stand.

Guest andymc

Would never happen without a plan like this coming together. If there was a singing section then those around the section would also be inclined to sing which hopefully could escalate around the ground. 100% yes, plans like this and maybes a "safe" standing section could become reality with new owners. Can't see the reasoning behind people saying no tbh.

Would never happen

FYP

no reason not to. it's a brilliant idea and should have been in place since the ground was extrended to 52,000. the only way you will get more people singing is to have a section which will be loud and in turn spur the rest of the fans to sing. sometimes singing where i sit is greeted by glares of confusement. it's a yes from me.

What is your organization?

And wouldn't several smaller singing sections scattered about the ground lead to a better atmosphere with everyone?

'Bring back the noise'....a.k.a Toon Ultras.

2 of our older members are going to get suited up and try and organise some sort of meeting, please don't mock us, we're trying to move onwards and upwards and make our ambitions known to you so that we can all make St James' a better place to be. Besides, the more votes in our favour, and quotes we can use, the more stastistical information we have to combat arguments made against a singing section.

Hopefully the 1st thing on the agenda in that meeting is a name change.

Why you picked 'Ultras' is beyond me.

If you are really serious about this then now is the time to start afresh, make singing enjoyable and accessible to all. How many people in the ground know all the songs you sing? I bet there are a fair few who haven't got a clue, get a song book written, even if its just online for now, would be great if you could do a leaflet drive, especially if you've got new songs for our new players, board and manager. Don't know the logistics of such a grand plan or costs, but i'm sure you'd get some sponsors to help out for the cost of printing, it should be cheap if its plain white paper with just a few verses on.

Anyway off the beaten track, any drive to bring back singing really needs the effort now, new era, hopefully something to sing about, start as we mean to go on, get the noise up, the players up, and hopefully both stay there.

Still need a fuking name change though, terrible decision.

Why the fuck is there a Not Sure choice in the poll? ???

And you need a name change desperatly. Ultras is just embarrassing. Apart from that I think what yous are doing is great. Especially since you ditched Level 7 and the charvers for cup games.

Guest jimmy1982

100% good idea. I lived in france for a bit, went to loads of matches in grounds with singing sections there and it makes a heck of a difference. Even teams like Toulouse who, until they improved alot in the last couple of seasons, only used to get 5-10,000 in a 30,000 bowl stadium have a singing section of only 300-500 and it was excellent. Teams like Marseille and St Etienne have built up a culture around this idea (over a period of not more than 15-20 years) and consequently their grounds have two of the best atmospheres in Europe (anyone who went to Marseille in 2004 will testify to that). People at the sides (the equivalent of our East and Milburn stands) don't sing that much but still join in with easy chants and it works a treat. I've also seen the same thing at other continental grounds, and it has always been a good thing. I remember a Real Betis match in Seville a couple of years ago, when they had a rubbish team and were playing very poor opposition (Malaga), but the constant singing of 1-2,000 people behind each goal made all the difference even though the match itself was dire (0-0 iirc).

I reckon there'd be at least 10,000 season ticket holders comitted to singing at SJP, which would give us two pockets of 5,000 people behind each goal. That would do the trick and you'd be surprised how quickly the singing and enthusiasm would spread to adjacent parts of the ground - I witnessed it everytime I watched a match in France. I think it would be particularly effective at SJP because of the enthusiasm that we have for our club (I don't think I'm being biased or exaggerating by claiming that it doesn't seem to exist to the same extent at many other clubs - we are the emobiment of a regional identity and people want to be proud of it. Anyone who was at Shearer's testimonial knows this). With the prompting that a singing section would give, I'm sure the vast majority of supporters in other parts of the ground would readily joing in, and it could be special.

I'm not saying we can replicate what happens in European stadia - our situation is completely different, with tighter regulations and generally higher ticket prices (particularly compared with tickets in France and Germany, less so compared to Spain). But it is definitely a way to combat the poor atmosphere of recent years. And anyway, nobody wants to copy other clubs, we are our own club with our own identity.

I know the whole idea seems a bit contrived at the moment, and it seems a shame not to have the spontaneous singing and enthusiam that we had from 92/3 - 97ish, but that was a unique time, when all the ingredients (lots of vocal fans, compact enclosed stadium, region and club in aperiod of prosperity (compared to what had immediately preceded it), team full of class players playing good football and winning most home matches) came together. I think these singing sections, along with hopefully a new era of positivity and good, winning football that Sam and MA look like they might bring, would go along way to giving SJP a great atmosphere again. The whole scarf thing last year was totally contrived, even gimmicky, but alot of people liked it - if we'd had a decent team at the time it might have caught on, who knows, but singing sections would be a much more permanent and impactful idea.

It probably would need a group like the Toon Ultras to take the idea by the scruff of the neck - these types of singing sections are always ruled and regulated by an independent supporters group of some sort (which as we know sometimes has negative consequences in places like Italy, but wouldn't here).

And the 'people shouldn't/can't be forced to sing' argument misses the point - it is about giving people the choice to sing and enjoy themselves at the match. So that rather than feeling like a div whenever you try to sing but none of the miserable old fogeys around you will join in, you are surrounded by people who want the same thing.

Obviously this thing would have to be approved by the club and will be a heavy logistical undertaking - loads of people would have to be re-located, and the last time that happened at SJP it was really badly handled and went down like a lead balloon. Hopefully it would be well handled by the new administration. To be honest I reckon this will be a problem for the Toon Ultras - as heza says. that name alone is going to make the people in charge of the club very wary. They will be unwilling to give any degree of influence or control to a group called 'Ultras', no matter how well behaved you are at matches.

Anyway, you asked for opinions, so there's my 2 pennys worth! Sorry if I rambled on, but I think this is an important issue and could be brilliant if it could get some momentum behind it. Hope it does!