Ashley Turns Down £20m Profit for Quick Resale.

Crumpy Gunt

NEWCASTLE have been the subject of a takeover bid one month after Mike Ashley’s £131million buy-out.

SunSport can reveal a group of Chinese investors negotiated to take over the Toon and hand billionaire Ashley a £20m profit.

An American-based investor also declared an interest in rivalling the Chinese bid.

A Toon insider confirmed: “Ashley got this club relatively cheaply and is now being offered the chance to make a big profit.”

Ashley decided not to sell.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007360719,00.html

More proof of the media being given nothing by the club/Ashley/Mort and having to make things up to fulfill their "NUFC Story" quota. It sells papers though, which is all that they're bothered about, I suppose it's the nature of the beast at the end of the day.

Guest 22bnw

It's shocking how unreal they'll get to unsettle things. I thought we'd see an end to all the s*** when it all turned out well with Chris Mort, obviously too much to ask. Unbelievable.

I would love to know who the "NUFC insider" is.  A disgruntled local journalist with an axe to grind?  Or just a London journo's imagination?

A presswatch is a really good idea, but an even better idea would be for the club's website to cut ties with PremiumTV and establish their own independent website with a proper press office.  Junk like this or the Keegan DoF story or the constant Martins wish thinking from Arsenal suppoprters at the tabloids deserve a rapid, official denial.  Every time.  You can't ignore this tabloid rubbish or let a story grow.  These tabloids can do minimal damage if the club is prepared to be as persistant as they are.  I hope the club's strategic review includes public relations, because they could do a lot more.

Guest Ridzuan

Dont care how much profit or how big the takeover is.Now is not the right time and I hope Ashley will do the right thing and not agree to any of the rubbish.

You think it might be those My Football Club dudes?

I heard they finally raised  the dough.

It's like one big game of FM.. but in real life, for example every memeber has to complile a formation to play for that week and the most popular formation gets put out on the pitch, can you imagine if we had this at Newcastle :lol:

I would love to know who the "NUFC insider" is.  A disgruntled local journalist with an axe to grind?  Or just a London journo's imagination?

A presswatch is a really good idea, but an even better idea would be for the club's website to cut ties with PremiumTV and establish their own independent website with a proper press office.  Junk like this or the Keegan DoF story or the constant Martins wish thinking from Arsenal suppoprters at the tabloids deserve a rapid, official denial.  Every time.  You can't ignore this tabloid rubbish or let a story grow.  These tabloids can do minimal damage if the club is prepared to be as persistant as they are.  I hope the club's strategic review includes public relations, because they could do a lot more.

That's an excellent notion - in theory. In practice though, we'd be making a rod for our own back in that every time a story isn't denied vehemently it gains credence. It also removes any "wiggle room" - for instance the club may not actively want to sell Oba, but wouldn't be averse to the idea if someone came knocking either.

Editorial independence for the club website is essential though, and a presswatch might not counter the flow of shite in the press, but would hopefully at least reduce the more outlandish notions that are represented as "news"

Guest black

It's complete bollocks and probably the sort of trash journalism we will have to put up with for quite a while now the club has made a staunch attempt to move out the "bad" player element of the club - I'll give Barton the benefit of the doubt because even the tabloids know Sam's in with a good chance of turning him around.

Anyone remember these comments from Mort in the Journal on Aug 2:

“It is not a short-term project for Mike Ashley or myself and I want to put that to bed straight away,” said Mort, who has revealed he will spend the majority of his time in his office at St James’s Park, despite keeping his family home in London. “If you look at the companies Mike has bought, like Dunlop and Slazenger, he has developed them over a period of 20 years.

“He does small investments like he did in adidas, which he then sells on, but that is not a whole business, it’s a minority stake. He has bought an entire asset here and the plan is to develop it over a lengthy period of time, not turn things around quickly and sell it on again.

“We are here for the long term, this is a long-term project. We are looking at how to take the club forward over various timescales. We are looking at the short term, which is making sure the team is a strong as possible for the start of the Premier League season, which means getting the squad and staff right.

“Then there is the longer time frame, like property development, which we haven’t really looked at yet at all. We have to get the foundations right here to sustain long-term goals.”

Sort of blows the possibility of a quick ownership turnover out of the water doesn't it?