Why do we bother with Shola?

Parky

Guest Sniffer

It made more sense to keep Chopra and use him as a back up striker and sell ameobi. At 25 I doubt if ameobi is going to improve his game. Chopra is young enough and given more experience will get better.  Basically a poor football decision but more importantly, one of the reasons we are where we are as a good manager would've got rid of a fringe player like ameobi years ago giving a younger player the opportunity.

He basically has not improved over the years to the extent that he should be holding down a squad place at a team that has top five aspirations.

Guest Grimbo

My biggest gripe with Shola is the needless free-kicks he gives away on a constant basis

On Sunday, he shoved the player in front of him over with two hands then looked at the ref to say "what did I do?"

Get rid unfortunately - we'll get nowhere by keeping and playing players for sentimental reasons!

one of the reasons we are where we are as a good manager would've got rid of a fringe player like ameobi years ago giving a younger player the opportunity.

A good manager would have got rid of Shearer when his decline first set in, and given Shola the chance to develop much earlier.

one of the reasons we are where we are as a good manager would've got rid of a fringe player like ameobi years ago giving a younger player the opportunity.

A good manager would have got rid of Shearer when his decline first set in, and given Shola the chance to develop much earlier.

No manager would have got rid of Shearer until Shearer called it a day himself.

Guest Sniffer

Nobody is talking about Shearer  yule but if you want to blame him because ameobi is slow, incapable of heading a ball, doesn't understand the concept of offside, fouls with amazing regularity and packs a powder puff in either foot then go ahead.

He's had an amazing number of opportunities given how poorly he's performed over the years but people just can't seem to realize that he is just simply not good enough.

My biggest gripe with Shola is the needless free-kicks he gives away on a constant basis

On Sunday, he shoved the player in front of him over with two hands then looked at the ref to say "what did I do?"

Get rid unfortunately - we'll get nowhere by keeping and playing players for sentimental reasons!

Shame the ability do that and the ability to constantly stray offside couldnt be removed while they were fixing his hip. The guy is a farce, a waste of space on the field.

Fortunately, the fact we have brought in two strikers in Vid and Smith means we'll be seeing very little of him. Hooray.

No good manager would accept the job under those conditions, and that's why we ended up with Souness and Roeder.

No good manager would accept the job under those conditions, and that's why we ended up with Souness and Roeder.

Sadly this is part of the puzzle.

No one really reckons Shola is going to be a world beater, but like all the managers before him I am pretty certain that Allardyce will keep him here as an important squad member for this season at least. Whether anyone likes it or not.

Feel free to bump this thread if I'm wrong though.

Nobody is talking about Shearer  yule but if you want to blame him because ameobi is slow, incapable of heading a ball, doesn't understand the concept of offside, fouls with amazing regularity and packs a powder puff in either foot then go ahead.

He's had an amazing number of opportunities given how poorly he's performed over the years but people just can't seem to realize that he is just simply not good enough.

He has delivered top class performances. He can do it. The reason he has been given time is because its clear he has ability. His performances have only been up to scratch about 20% of the time though, which is why its understandable that people want rid.

I brought two example into this thread when Shola has scored against one of the best teams in the world and over-powered and scored past one of the best defenders in the world. If you're a talentless shit, you would do neither of those things.

If Allardyce cant sort him out then fair enough, sell on the homegrown player but i have a feeling that the circumstances he found himself in have held him back. Previous to his year on the treatment table, he looked like he was beginning to realise his promise as he helped us to 7th in the league.

If you want to slag off a player, talk facts and talk games and then the discussion can move forward (even if it is which peg did he score it with). I'm not sure why anyone's record under Souness should be held up as evidence, as its clear he was started on the left of midfield by a clueless manager, then did well under Roeder, then had a nasty hip problem. Outside of that period you have his time under SBR and thats the time where my examples come from.

"You put your left leg in....."

We keep him around because when everybody takes the piss out of him he rises to the occasion.  He'll always be a Mackem Killer and he should be starting both games against the unwashed.  Howay Wor Shola! 

Shola is easily good enough to be 4th/5th choice striker.

I'm guessing these same people who want rid of Shola would argue that players like Brown and Fletcher aren't good enough for Man Utd, but the whole idea is to have a squad where you try to cover all the bases. As much as possible you want competition for places, but beyond that it's good to have cover.

I don't think Shola will ever be good enough for our best XI, but neither will Brown or Fletcher at Man Utd. He's there to provide depth to the squad.

Say we lost Owen, Martins and Viduka to injury all at once, we could still field Ameobi, Smith and even Luque upfront.

Most Premiership clubs would envy that kind of forward depth.

Guest Andy_M

Good squad player, end of thread.

based on what positive attributes? Apart from a deceptive "one in two" under Roeder purple patch taken from a very small handful of games.

Guest Andy_M

Shola for us is like Fowler was for Liverpool last season. Loves the club, doesn't want to leave, happy to be back-up. A big club like Liverpool realise that he wasn't a good enough first team player, and that if you have big ambitions, that you need players as back up that are good enough to be in the first team as back up. They let Fowler go, despite him being content to be back up and despite his obvious natural ability.

For me, that's why we aren't a top club anymore. We settle for below par squad players where the big clubs replace them with better players. I'd player Fowler ahead of Shola every day of the week, yet the former wasn't a good enough squad player for Liverpool, so why should the latter be good enough for us.