Bolton 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 11/08/07 - Post match thoughts from page 23

BlufPurdi

I'm expecting West Ham to qualify for the Champions League this season now they've got Bellamy, Isn't that the way it works?

Well, he was instrumental in propelling Newcastle and Blackburn up the league, so who's to say he won't with West Ham.

They have a shite manager though, so he probably can't do it on his own, even though this is undoubtedly the "plan"  :coolsmiley:

I don't think they will get relegated, but when whatisnameiclandicman realises Curbishley is mediocre at best he'll be gone

On what are you basing your opinion that Curbishley is a shite manager?

His achievements at Charlton were as good if not better than Big Sam's at Bolton. And he kept them up last season, with a little help from Tevez, which was nothing short of a miracle.

How do you work that out? He did nothing to push Charlton forward once they got promoted, they never finished in the top half, rarely beat the top 4 and never got to a cup final. All things Bolton did with a similar budget.

I'm expecting West Ham to qualify for the Champions League this season now they've got Bellamy, Isn't that the way it works?

Well, he was instrumental in propelling Newcastle and Blackburn up the league, so who's to say he won't with West Ham.

They have a s**** manager though, so he probably can't do it on his own, even though this is undoubtedly the "plan"  :coolsmiley:

I don't think they will get relegated, but when whatisnameiclandicman realises Curbishley is mediocre at best he'll be gone

Having a shit manager doesn't matter, the lad is that good he should get them there on his own.

Ok he got relelgated with Coventry and was shown to be average at Liverpool, mark my words though this lad turns average teams into CL one's single handedly, West Ham for the top 4! :clap2:

of course. That is their plan. So therefore it must succeed.

I love it how those tosser trotters were banging on about how the wanted attacking football at the Reebok, and it was no great loss that SA walked out on them and they've now got the man to bring that attacking style to their team.

Well their ex manager delivered it with style in the 1st half, and laughed at them all the way to full time in the 2nd. They were piss poor and resorted to long ball as soon as they couldn't break us down, it was a woeful display by them and a sign of the times to come for both teams. We will get stronger as the season goes on, i think Lee has got to be in the top 3 for the chop along with the other 2 talentless in-house promoted managers, Southgate and Hutchings.

Fuking Sammy Lee  mackems.gif going to be better than Big Sam.  bluelaugh.gif

Complacency does strange things to people TT. The chairman seems to think that he is the person responsible for Bolton's rise. Sometimes fans become equally complacent. The manager is the most important person in a football club, underestimate his worth to you at your peril.

I was watching the Jimmy Hill show this morning [without Jimmy Hill  ;D] and they were saying that Bolton will suffer badly without Sam and could even go down, if they try to change too much or they can't shake out of his shadow. They could be right. Likewise our dear cockney eastenders, who should be down already. I'm quite impressed with the backing this icelandic bloke has gave his manager, but pretty much like we did with Souness, he's backing a knackerjack of a manager.

Other than that, I think the Wigan may go down, that Chris Hutchings doesn't seem to have much about him, and they are too small to survive now that Jewell too has gone.

West Ham have got one of the lowest net spends in the prem this transfer window iirc, they've re-couped a lot of money losing Tevez, Reo-Coker, Konchesky, Harewood, Mears and Benayoun.

that is in fact correct, I read this somewhere today, didn't seem to be the case though. There you go, its amazing what a false impression outsiders can get of football clubs.

Still, he's stated his ambition to reach the top 4, so he'll have to do better than this !

They have a shite manager though, so he probably can't do it on his own, even though this is undoubtedly the "plan"  :coolsmiley:

On what are you basing your opinion that Curbishley is a shite manager?

His achievements at Charlton were as good if not better than Big Sam's at Bolton. And he kept them up last season, with a little help from Tevez, which was nothing short of a miracle.

Call it a hunch, call it an aura I look for in a good manager. Charlton suited him, small club, small budget but lacking the personality to move higher. Allardyce on the other hand, has that and more.

I noticed that when he was asked about being interviewed for the England job, he lost his rag at being pestered. There was something in his body language that spoke volumes, I thought when I saw that, that he didn't have the temperament to cope with being at a bigger club more in the spotlight.

They have a s**** manager though, so he probably can't do it on his own, even though this is undoubtedly the "plan"  :coolsmiley:

On what are you basing your opinion that Curbishley is a s**** manager?

Call it a hunch, call it an aura I look for in a good manager. Charlton suited him, small club, small budget but lacking the personality to move higher. Allardyce on the other hand, has that and more.

I noticed that when he was asked about being interviewed for the England job, he lost his rag at being pestered. There was something in his body language that spoke volumes, I thought when I saw that, that he didn't have the temperament to cope with being at a bigger club more in the spotlight.

Looked a broken man with 7 or 8 games left to go in the Prem lasts season, seemed so downbeat in his interviews and looked resigned to going down.

Amazed they stayed up, agree with your assesment of him.

Guest elbee909

In the background - since when did David Beckham play for Bolton?

Ah no, it's Gary Speed.  More glamorous, obviously.

Guest elbee909

On widescreen monitors (16:10), resize it to 85% to get the full image, with black bars top and bottom (only small ones, mind).

On what are you basing your opinion that Curbishley is a s**** manager?

In the 6 years they were in the Premiership under Curbishley did Charlton show any sign of improvement? They came up finished mid-table, and they never ever threatened doing any more. Similar sized clubs who came up around that time, Boro came up, established themselves, won a Cup and got to Finals, Bolton came up challenged the top 6 and got to a final, Blackburn came up, won a Cup and finished top 6. Charlton were about as meh as you could get. A nothing club. They were on the way down well before Curbishley left.

The League Managers Association five-man Performance of the Week panel, comprising Chairman Howard Wilkinson, Sir Alex Ferguson, Joe Royle, Dave Bassett and Barry Fry, were in agreement that this week, the first week of both the Barclays Premier League and the Coca Cola Football League season, the F&C Investments Performance of the Week Award should go to Newcastle United following their 3-1 win at Bolton Wanderers.

Manager Sam Allardyce will receive a specially engraved crystal football in a presentation to be screened on Sky Soccer Saturday this weekend.

The new Newcastle manager celebrated his first league game in charge with victory over his former club.

Charles N'Zogbia scored the first of three first-half goals, in the 11th minute, with a curling free-kick that eluded everybody.

On 21 minutes Obafemi Martins hit a spectacular overhead kick, followed six minutes later by a long-range strike six minutes past Jussi Jaaskelainen as Newcastle led 3-0 at the break.

Nicolas Anelka finished a blistering break five minutes after the restart but the Magpies deserved their win.

Sam Allardyce was naturally delighted with the result, saying after the game: "It is a great start to the season for me and my players.

"The application by the players was terrific and I think that the quality of the finishing was the difference between the two teams.

"I'm not sure what level these players are at yet but they are starting to hit a standard I don't want them to drop."