Bolton 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 11/08/07 - Post match thoughts from page 23

BlufPurdi

I was most impressed with our determination and desire right from the kick off. For the 1st half hour we closed them down quickly and we were first to every 2nd ball, this was  in stark contrast to our sloppy starts in the vast majority of away games over the past 4 or 5 seasons. Bolton didn't know what had hit them and we made them look shite.

I would have liked to have seen us keep possession better in the 2nd half when they started to come at us, instead we reverted to type and started to lump the ball aimlessly up field. We now have enough good footballers to be able to play it from the back and if we'd done this we could have made Bolton look like mugs. I think this will come when Sam's had some more time on the training ground with the squad.

We can take a lot of positives out of the game though, Rozenhal, Viduka, Smith and Geremi look good acquisitions. Martins looked lively and he could grow into that right sided position and, with his pace and shooting power from either foot, could become almost unplayable.

Big Sam's imposing himself on the club and it's looking good, but there's still a lot of work to be done but I've not been this optimistic for a very long time.

Have to say Jaaskelinan was pathetic for our third goal :lol:

Quality first half performance. Bolton came out all guns blazing in the second half and scored a very good goal. But after that we contained them well as they pressed to get back in the match. Chuffed with the performance but still many ways we can improve.

I think the thing for the goal is that you shouldn't concede goals from your own corners. You always know there's a risk, so you should be able to stamp it out. Two mistakes were made, Geremi, who was lurking outside the area presumably with a brief to break up this kind of thing was too close to his man so when the ball came out he couldn't get in a decent tackle.

Then once the pass was made we ended up with Anelka vs Carr, which was about giving the job to the wrong person. Of the fullbacks we had out yesterday N'Zogbia might have been the better choice, although probably without the defensive experience for those situations. Allardyce is always going to have the centrebacks in the oppositions box for a corner though, so it's got to be one of the full backs doing the job.

So if you were to change it - at 3-0 up maybe you want to leave both fullbacks back instead of one, and Geremi to sit a little deeper so he can attack balls dropping rather than being turned by them.

Can't fault the keeper though.

Agree with your analysis of that there.

In addition, where abouts was James Milner during that corner? I'd imagine he'd be best deep outside the box too, given his long range shooting ability, and his determination to track back.

I think the thing for the goal is that you shouldn't concede goals from your own corners. You always know there's a risk, so you should be able to stamp it out. Two mistakes were made, Geremi, who was lurking outside the area presumably with a brief to break up this kind of thing was too close to his man so when the ball came out he couldn't get in a decent tackle.

Then once the pass was made we ended up with Anelka vs Carr, which was about giving the job to the wrong person. Of the fullbacks we had out yesterday N'Zogbia might have been the better choice, although probably without the defensive experience for those situations. Allardyce is always going to have the centrebacks in the oppositions box for a corner though, so it's got to be one of the full backs doing the job.

So if you were to change it - at 3-0 up maybe you want to leave both fullbacks back instead of one, and Geremi to sit a little deeper so he can attack balls dropping rather than being turned by them.

Can't fault the keeper though.

Agree with your analysis of that there.

In addition, where abouts was James Milner during that corner? I'd imagine he'd be best deep outside the box too, given his long range shooting ability, and his determination to track back.

What utter, utter, utter - well actually you have a point as a general rule but there really was only one person to blame for the goal against us, fatty Carr. All he had to do was step up instead of trying to chase down Anelka and Anelka would of been clearly offside.

Anelka's run was sh!te, it was straight and direct, there was no angle but fatty was to busy trying to show us how quick he now is(n't), tw@t!

Bit worried about Allardyce. He got all excited yesterday when we beat his old club, just like Glenn Roeder did when we beat West Ham at Upton Park last season and he lost focus on the rest of the season. Hopefully Allardyce is more capable of keeping his feet on the ground.

Bit worried about Allardyce. He got all excited yesterday when we beat his old club, just like Glenn Roeder did when we beat West Ham at Upton Park last season and he lost focus on the rest of the season. Hopefully Allardyce is more capable of keeping his feet on the ground.

Their names shouldn't be put in the same sentences TBH.

They aren't. :razz:

I deserve that for being a clever cunt. Lesson learnt.

I deserve that for being a clever c***. Lesson learnt.

>:D

Guest Hodgson09

Imagine my surprise yesterday I flick on foxsports here in australia and the football is on, i look at the top right hand corner and it says push red so i do, What do I find?

The choice of four other matches would you believe it including Newcastle v Bolton. I was over the moon need I say anymore.

Is this going to be a common occurrence?

It should be, Fox is saying it will be, and should if enough people use it.

I thought i was getting it, stayed up, turned it on, and the "press red" thing aint up....

Turns out atm only foxtel people are getting it, not austar  :weep: but it should be coming to austar, just different decoders or something apparently..

Anyone else have any problems?

Mr Burns style excellent.

Guest Craig_NUFC

People who were at the match yesterday...When Bolton scored did they play the music and have the 2 guys running up and down with the flags. i can't remember hearing the music or seeing them and they usually have it everytime they score whether they are losing or not

Guest Knightrider

I loved the second half, I've never seen NUFC nullify an opposition in that way before, hell it was boring, but very very effective. I mean we didn't even panic, not once. This isn't NUFC, we would have fell apart after they grabbed their goal.

Anyway, most impressive in every department, and every player played well. Lets not forget this was the opening day, we played a high tempo game first half, and were playing away from home where the home side is bound to get some control of the game.

Whenever we play Bolton, they literally pepper our goal, either with shots, crosses or simply by pushing.

Well, the defence had a comfortable afternoon and we dominated in midfield, while the pace and guile of our forwards punished them, despite not creating many clear cut chances ourselves.

Guest sombrero

top of the league, top of the leaguee!, howay the toon army, were gona kick sum ass this season, loviing every bit of that bicycle kick and i still havent even seen it! is it on youtube ppl?

If you weren't there yesterday, you missed a cracking trip, I doubt there will be another match like that in the near future.

I love it how those tosser trotters were banging on about how the wanted attacking football at the Reebok, and it was no great loss that SA walked out on them and they've now got the man to bring that attacking style to their team.

Well their ex manager delivered it with style in the 1st half, and laughed at them all the way to full time in the 2nd. They were piss poor and resorted to long ball as soon as they couldn't break us down, it was a woeful display by them and a sign of the times to come for both teams. We will get stronger as the season goes on, i think Lee has got to be in the top 3 for the chop along with the other 2 talentless in-house promoted managers, Southgate and Hutchings.

Fuking Sammy Lee  mackems.gif going to be better than Big Sam.  bluelaugh.gif

If you weren't there yesterday, you missed a cracking trip, I doubt there will be another match like that in the near future.

I bet there will.

cant be more special, first game of season, big sams return, obas magic, nice sunny day  :smitten: what more can you ask for?

Have to say Jaaskelinan was pathetic for our third goal :lol:

Quality first half performance. Bolton came out all guns blazing in the second half and scored a very good goal. But after that we contained them well as they pressed to get back in the match. Chuffed with the performance but still many ways we can improve.

agree, poor effort. Nobody has slaughtered him for it either eg Hansen etc

I bet there will.

cant be more special, first game of season, big sams return, obas magic, nice sunny day  :smitten: what more can you ask for?

O0

If Oba's overhead kick had been scored by Roon or Ronaldo we would of been seeing it on SSN all weekend. Good bit of skill from someone many people (me included) reckon can only run quick & kick a ball really hard.

Good point actually

I love it how those tosser trotters were banging on about how the wanted attacking football at the Reebok, and it was no great loss that SA walked out on them and they've now got the man to bring that attacking style to their team.

Well their ex manager delivered it with style in the 1st half, and laughed at them all the way to full time in the 2nd. They were piss poor and resorted to long ball as soon as they couldn't break us down, it was a woeful display by them and a sign of the times to come for both teams. We will get stronger as the season goes on, i think Lee has got to be in the top 3 for the chop along with the other 2 talentless in-house promoted managers, Southgate and Hutchings.

Fuking Sammy Lee  mackems.gif going to be better than Big Sam.  bluelaugh.gif

Complacency does strange things to people TT. The chairman seems to think that he is the person responsible for Bolton's rise. Sometimes fans become equally complacent. The manager is the most important person in a football club, underestimate his worth to you at your peril.

I was watching the Jimmy Hill show this morning [without Jimmy Hill  ;D] and they were saying that Bolton will suffer badly without Sam and could even go down, if they try to change too much or they can't shake out of his shadow. They could be right. Likewise our dear cockney eastenders, who should be down already. I'm quite impressed with the backing this icelandic bloke has gave his manager, but pretty much like we did with Souness, he's backing a knackerjack of a manager.

Other than that, I think the Wigan may go down, that Chris Hutchings doesn't seem to have much about him, and they are too small to survive now that Jewell too has gone.