Bolton 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 11/08/07 - Post match thoughts from page 23

BlufPurdi

that first 15 minutes of bolton "pressure" in the second half, does not seem to have been a problem for our defence, apart from the goal obviously this looks really encouraging

Bolton----------------------Newcastle

63.10% Possession 36.90%

55.90% Territorial Adv  44.10%

Those stats are garbage from Sky, might be right for second half only though when we sat deeper and stifled the game.

We were terrible in the 2nd half.

im watching it now and we werent terrible at all, we contained them really well, the goal was a lapse, apart from that we were very defensive minded and very controlled ...compared with last season this is a godsend

I wasn't impressed second half either.

I thought the idea was to go 4-5-1 breaking up their possession in midfield before it got started. Midfield sat too deep and gave them way too much room for the formation, then when we went 5-4-1 and it was like inviting them to get a second.

Hope they get a bit more fluent at tactical changes. I know Sam will have a few video clips for them to watch.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Crumpy but you can't seriously think that.

Can'y seariously remember us having a meaningful shot on target. Noy very inspiring when the oppositios game plan is to get forward.

We conceded from our own corner.

Sounds like we closed it out in the second half, having obviously won the points in the first. Not a problem by me at a place like Bolton.

when i was listening to it on the radio i was panicking... but i think that was largely down to mick lowe.  watching it i agree closed the game down very well.. as Sam said thats what he tried to do by changing tactics and formation ... im dreaming

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Crumpy but you can't seriously think that.

Can'y seariously remember us having a meaningful shot on target. Noy very inspiring when the oppositios game plan is to get forward.

We conceded from our own corner.

Fair play. However considering the scoreline and it's implications for the 2nd half, I would still say "terrible" is a little harsh.

first half we were fantastic. intelligence,drive,team-spirit,purpose,organised everyone of the team knew their purpose and Bolton hardly has a sniff.  Second half as often happens we took the foot off the pedal conceded a goal early and had to ride a storm, however I dont know about some people but the second half pleased me more than the first as in all the years i have been a fan its great to see that we have a team that can kill a game stone dead after scoring and taking leads.

past few seasons the amount of times we have scored first to then weakly lose the game 2-1,3-1 its great to see some heart and no surrender attidude flowing through team.

p.s Carr next time when we are running counter attack drills in training dont drift off into lala land as in a match day situation you will find yourself 20 yards behind everyone else playing the forward onside hence goal against.

MOTD RUNNING ORDER

Sunderland v Tottenham

West Ham v Manchester City

Bolton v Newcastle

Aston Villa v Liverpool

Derby v Portsmouth

Middlesbrough v Blackburn

Everton v Wigan

Where did you find this out?

Lee Clark doing 'join the dots' there. :lol:

Can't believe anyone can moan about our second half performance (apart from Crumpy obviously, who just does it for the wind up) - for far too long we've been soft touches away from home, often we take leads and piss them up the wall because we haven't got the spine and the fight when our backs are against the wall.

Now we have, or at least we had today, and folk moan because we didn't go and beat them by 7. Unbelievable.