Aston Villa (H) Pre-Match Thread

NSG

Thinks this game will be harder than some people think and just because we beat Bolton doesnt mean we will easily win villa have got potential match winners and pace which will threaten our defence.

I think we will win but just sneak it 1-0

Much will depend on how we limit then supply to their players out wide, as our full-backs are still the worry.

This is my main concern. They will surely look to exploit our full back positions, where we'll probably have N'Zogbia, a makeshift left back, and Carr, who can be a liability at times and isn't the quickest. Hopefully Rozenhal can deal with Carew whose aeriel threat caused us problems here last time.

If N'Zogbia is having trouble I expect Enrique will be on the bench to replace him at left back, while Geremi can always go to right back if Carr is getting murdered down that side, so we do have options. Enrique is said to be very quick and handled Messi no problem according to the Villarreal fans, so he might be the man for this game if Allardyce feels he's ready.

Can we afford to use two sub's to try and sort out our defence?

I'm more worried about Carr than N'Zogbia, N'Zogbia can at least use a bit of pace if he gets into trouble, Carr might as well just give up.  If Nobby is still a Newcastle player at the weekend I'd stick him in place of Carr and not take any chances with him, Carr is still an accident waiting to happen.

Can we afford to use two sub's to try and sort out our defence?

I'm more worried about Carr than N'Zogbia, N'Zogbia can at least use a bit of pace if he gets into trouble, Carr might as well just give up.  If Nobby is still a Newcastle player at the weekend I'd stick him in place of Carr and not take any chances with him, Carr is still an accident waiting to happen.

Well I'm highlighting the worst case scenario, that if we're getting raped down both flanks we do have options to switch it around with Enrique and Geremi.

N'Zogbia's pace will help him in a race but his defensive abilities look a bit suspect. Like many wingers when they're trying to defend he seems happy enough to stand off, giving the winger enough time to look up and pick out a dangerous cross. You can see he's a makeshift left back but if he does play hopefully this won't affect him, and I certainly prefer playing him there over someone like Ramage any day of the week. Giving Enrique his debut is a definite possibility, but a midfielder would have to be dropped and the way they've been playing, I don't think that'd be the best thing to do.

Seeing Ashley Young getting the better of Finnan on the highlights did make me worry about Carr, but I'd still start him. I think starting the same 11 that controlled the game against Sampdoria and against Bolton would be the sensible thing to do, switching to 4-4-2 if need be.

I am worried about Carr and I refuse to get carried away so I predict a modest 5-0 - an Oba hat trick followed by an unlikely brace from Zoggy.

And if Carr doesn't play?

I am thinking we'll just edge it 7-0 in that case.

Well I'm highlighting the worst case scenario, that if we're getting raped down both flanks we do have options to switch it around with Enrique and Geremi.

N'Zogbia's pace will help him in a race but his defensive abilities look a bit suspect. Like many wingers when they're trying to defend he seems happy enough to stand off, giving the winger enough time to look up and pick out a dangerous cross. You can see he's a makeshift left back but if he does play hopefully this won't affect him, and I certainly prefer playing him there over someone like Ramage any day of the week. Giving Enrique his debut is a definite possibility, but a midfielder would have to be dropped and the way they've been playing, I don't think that'd be the best thing to do.

Seeing Ashley Young getting the better of Finnan on the highlights did make me worry about Carr, but I'd still start him. I think starting the same 11 that controlled the game against Sampdoria and against Bolton would be the sensible thing to do, switching to 4-4-2 if need be.

Carr is liable to try and attack and be left stranded out of position, I expect that to happen every game, it doesn't always happen but it's still too often when it does.  I would prefer him to become less adventurous but that would weaken us down that side so that's probably not going to happen.

Cannot wait for this game. The fact that we're at 4 pages already, with the game over four days away makes me think I'm not the only one.

Good times already, imagine if Owen plays and we win!

Seeing Enrique or Cacapa play would be a bonus, but hopefully we won't need them.

This will be a hard-fought game - it would have been better for us if they had managed to sneak something from Liverpool, as they will now be desperate to get at least a point on the board.

O'Neill will have them well organised & wound up for this one - expect them to defend in depth & hit us on the break if they can.

If we win 2-1 in a tough game I will be well-pleased & consider we are making the right sort of progress - success is all about confidence and we need to learn to grind out results when teams try to snuff the game out.

I too expect a defender to be one of our scorers, most probs from a set-piece.

can't wait to WATCH this one. it's the only game FSC is showing of newcastle in the first two months of the season..pissed me right off. as for how i see things going it's all down below

Can't believe people would settle for anything less than a win at home to Villa.  A draw would be frustrating, a loss very poor.  We have the firepower to see us through this game and I don't think Villa are ready for it going by the Liverpool game.

3 - 1 to us.

Home game and if Cacapa and Enrique and fit and ready them time to drop Butt and Carr,,

----------------------Harper

Caca--------Taylor---------Roze----------Emrique

Milner------Geremi---------Smith---------Zoggy

-----------------Martins

----------------------------Viduka

BENCH

Forster

Carr

Ramage

Butt

Owen