Bitter? I Think so!

BONTEMPI

He's spot on, IMO.

He's not, like. Players don't want to move to Sunderland because it's Sunderland and players don't want to play for for SAFC because they're shit.

It's not just about the mackems though. He mentions Juventus as well.

He's spot on, IMO.

He's not, like. Players don't want to move to Sunderland because it's Sunderland and players don't want to play for for SAFC because they're shit.

It's not just about the mackems though. He mentions Juventus as well.

Eh? But players actually DO want to go to Juventus.

Are we not seeing that right now with Dyer and Nobby? Players nowadays are clearly struggling with balancing family and football. Keane is spot on with his rant and in fairness to the mackems, yes that's right... shoot me now, Sunderland are better than some London teams, like QPR and I guess Fulham.... and yes the place might be a shitehole but its unfair to them that players families don't move to where they play their football.

If this is about Keane's rant against the so-called WAGS of English football, then this is one thing that i DO agree with him about.

Its not just Sunderland who would have a problem getting certain players to sign for them - we also would have the same difficulty, despite Newcastle being one of the most lively & progressive cities in the UK .

People like Beckham's wife are a pain in the butt, and have far too much influence over the players - as Keane says, the players & wives that come into that category are weak and also thick - they probably still think the North East has stacks of coal-mines, chimneys with thick smoke, and all the fans wear cloth caps & have whippets/pigeons etc. etc.

This is a common phenomenum when the women are from London/S.east - most of them have never been north of Watford anyway, and foreign players , esp Southern Europeans, think that London is the centre of everything - even if the lifestyle is crap.

At least when Hamman & his wife were based in the North East, he did say that he really enjoyed all the lovely countryside around the area and they both used to drive into Northumberland etc at weekends or days off.

That is why it is SO important that NUFC has a really good Academy system, not just in the UK, but eventually overseas in order to dispel these myths and get in players who REALLY want to play for the club and not just pick up their oversized wages so their particular WAG can go shopping in London......

I believe that these WAGS were partly to blame for England's pathetic showing at last year's WC - too much concentration on pleasing the girls instead of total concentration on the games.

Keane is correct. Of course players are entitled to think about their family when they move, but going somewhere for the shopping (or rejecting somewhere else) is laughable.

I agree he has a point, but not in regards to why players don't want to go to Sunderland. Why would a player choose Sunderland? Even for 'football reasons'?

People like Beckham's wife are a pain in the butt, and have far too much influence over the players - as Keane says, the players & wives that come into that category are weak and also thick - they probably still think the North East has stacks of coal-mines, chimneys with thick smoke, and all the fans wear cloth caps & have whippets/pigeons etc. etc.

What?! We don't?!

What?! We don't?!

Weeeellll - don't tell 'em...!!

I agree in principle with what he's said although i think a lot of Keane's problems with attracting players is the fact that they're shite.

For while i agree that a player needs to converse with their wife or whatever, i think it's a fucking joke that they turn down a club just so their lass can go shopping in London.

I have to agree that some player's need to grow some balls and tell their lass that they can go shopping in London all they want in a few years time, but for now stop your fucking moaning.

It's not as if it's the dark ages or something up here (Smogland and Scumland accepted or course O0)

For fear of being shot down, I would say that Sunderland, with the potential of playing in front of 40,000 every home game, is a pretty good offer for the likes of player that Keane would have been going for. Certainly better than the likes of Fulham, Portsmouth, Blackburn etc

Granted Sunderland isnt much of a tempting offer as a city but any footballer looking to improve himself and his career should see that playing under Keane would be a decent choice.

We were very lucky to get Keegan who was a major attraction for a lot of players as his name went around the world. It could have been very easy for us to have been in the same position as Sunderland and be ignored by load of players just because we were too far north.  Thats was Rob Lee's impression and he is a sensible bloke

If this is about Keane's rant against the so-called WAGS of English football, then this is one thing that i DO agree with him about.

Its not just Sunderland who would have a problem getting certain players to sign for them - we also would have the same difficulty, despite Newcastle being one of the most lively & progressive cities in the UK .

This is a common phenomenum when the women are from London/S.east - most of them have never been north of Watford anyway, and foreign players , esp Southern Europeans, think that London is the centre of everything - even if the lifestyle is crap.

At least when Hamman & his wife were based in the North East, he did say that he really enjoyed all the lovely countryside around the area and they both used to drive into Northumberland etc at weekends or days off.

That is why it is SO important that NUFC has a really good Academy system, not just in the UK, but eventually overseas in order to dispel these myths and get in players who REALLY want to play for the club and not just pick up their oversized wages so their particular WAG can go shopping in London......

I believe that these WAGS were partly to blame for England's pathetic showing at last year's WC - too much concentration on pleasing the girls instead of total concentration on the games.

I have a whippet, ironically he's called Merlin.

Good post though.

So no one else just thinks it's a crap excuse for not getting players in, then? Easier for mackems to stomach 'x player doesn't want to come because his missus is a dizy bint and he's got nee balls' than 'x player doesn't want to come because he thinks we're shit and he doesn't want to be playing in the Championship next season'.

Roy Keane is bang on the money with that statement.  Well said Roy.  To many of these Soccer AM footballers kicking around at the moment worrying about where they can buy D&G slacks from instead of focusing on a career in football.