Nobby to Portsmouth? - "No offers yet" says Allardyce

magorific

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Nobby called him at 4 am and played the trumpet down the phone to SBR, the relationship never recovered after that incident.

I think we can survive without Nobby because we seem to be trying to assemble a fairly big squad, but he gives us a lot off the field as well as on it, and used sparingly I think he could have been very effective for us this season. Let's not forget that he was brilliant for a good portion of last season, but he was overused because of a tiny squad and an escalating injury crisis. He was exhausted come the season's end and I think a lot of people are judging him on those performances. As part of a bigger squad, rested far more frequently, I think we'd see more of those performances like the one at home to Tottenham, where he simply ran the show.

Perhaps a bit of sentiment comes into it, but we're losing a seasoned professional, an example to the younger players and someone who would ease the transition of the club from the old era to the new. I think there'll be times this season where it'll feel like we've tried to change too much too fast and we'll want someone like Nobby around.

Ultimately he would probably have left in a year anyway, and he wants out, so the decision has been made easy for us, but I think he would have been an excellent squad player to have around this season. I think these conspiracy theories are a bit silly, Nobby has spent the majority of his career here, become a legend with the fans, turned down Liverpool to return - is it so difficult to believe that he has family issues, given he and his wife recently separated?

"We had a surfeit of players who could play in that wide right position - Nobby, Ambrose, Bowyer and Dyer. Solano remained potent on free-kicks, corners and crosses, but had stopped penetrating the space behind defenders."

"He was keeping young Darren Ambrose out of the side and i wanted to correct that anomoly."

"A problem with Nobby was his international tie-up with Peru. We gave him a new contract on the assumption that he'd cut down on games for Peru, and he pledged to do so, but the temptation was too great for him."

"I don't mean to be critical of him as a person. He was a smashing lad and i liked him very much. He used to bring his cornet in and play it in the dressing room, much to the delight of the other lads. I wish him nothing but the best."

"He was happy to go to Villa Park because he could see the competition building up on that side of the pitch."

to be honest, I always thought there was more in Robsons sale of Solano than was said

Such as? :D

to be honest, I always thought there was more in Robsons sale of Solano than was said

You mean beyond what SBR wrote in his book: "I thought Nobby's legs were going and he weas getting fatigued too easily." Seemed SBR was pretty straight forward. He liked us to have younger players (even to his detriment) and for an old codger he was always looking for a way to get rid of the older players (SHearer included) and it would seem on the surface for purely football related reasons.

for those reasons he should have been sold in the close season when we had time to find a replacement.

Solano was never the fittest, just though there must have been a different catalyst.

As for Robson's book, he also hinted at a problem with Solano's attitude as I remember. Leaving the Boro ground before the game was over after being sending off I think.

Aye, he did say that - Nobby left so he could go to Peru again. But he never mentioned an attitude problem at all, Robson's words were: "I guess that's the modern day footballer for you."

You mean beyond what SBR wrote in his book: "I thought Nobby's legs were going and he weas getting fatigued too easily." Seemed SBR was pretty straight forward. He liked us to have younger players (even to his detriment) and for an old codger he was always looking for a way to get rid of the older players (SHearer included) and it would seem on the surface for purely football related reasons.

for those reasons he should have been sold in the close season when we had time to find a replacement.

Solano was never the fittest, just though there must have been a different catalyst.

As for Robson's book, he also hinted at a problem with Solano's attitude as I remember. Leaving the Boro ground before the game was over after being sending off I think.

Aye, he did say that - Nobby left so he could go to Peru again. But he never mentioned an attitude problem at all, Robson's words were: "I guess that's the modern day footballer for you."

said with not even a hint of comtempt

Guest KeithKettleborough

I think Bobby was getting quite paranoid about players being selected for international teams apart from England. Think there was Lua Lua, maybe Speed, Acuna and Bellamy but memory not what it used to be.

As to the family problems Nobby has....well if his wife is Peruvian and only managed to live over here due to Nobby getting a work permit, surely she should be back in Peru if they are no longer married.  Wont keep him in Toon but surely she should be back in Peru if the reason she came here in the first place, no longer applies.

Guest SeattleToon

He won't go to Pompey because it's not in London....isn't his whole reason for wanting to leave that his wife wants to live in London?

And yet he was happy to keep Dyer, Bellamy and Robert - no doubt it was said with contempt!

And yet he was happy to keep Dyer, Bellamy and Robert - no doubt it was said with contempt!

That is an excellent point. SBR hardly tried to get rid of problem players... he collected them. Bowyer... Woodgate even. And its not like Nobby is even in the same league as them/

Guest onetallpoppy

problem i see with so many ppls attitude to this move and many others is that people try to paint it black and white. its either worst thing ever, or get rid of the useless shite. nobby has been a great contributer to the club over time and it is sad to see such a good player and good guy leave, but he is at that age were other things matter more. as well he isnt the player he used to be. why not let him leave when his heart clearly isnt here anymore. he isnt rejecting us, i doubt he is even preferring hammers. he just wants some stability in othe rparts of his life.

lets just say thanks nobby for the good times and best of luck. love to see you back sometime

problem i see with so many ppls attitude to this move and many others is that people try to paint it black and white. its either worst thing ever, or get rid of the useless s****. nobby has been a great contributer to the club over time and it is sad to see such a good player and good guy leave, but he is at that age were other things matter more. as well he isnt the player he used to be. why not let him leave when his heart clearly isnt here anymore. he isnt rejecting us, i doubt he is even preferring hammers. he just wants some stability in othe rparts of his life.

lets just say thanks nobby for the good times and best of luck. love to see you back sometime

The most sensible thing I've seen written so far.

Big Sam On Solano Latest

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce says that he would be sad to see Nobby Solano leave Newcastle United but concedes that could happen with the little Peruvian wishing to be closer to his family.

The Toon gaffer has been impressed by the 32-year-old during pre-season and has taken a particular shine to the likeable character of the former Boca Juniors star.

But, with Solano keen to be closer to his children in the South, Allardyce admits that the midfielder could be heading for pastures new.

"Nobby Solano has a similar problem to Kieron in that he wants to be nearer to his family and if that needs to be resolved then it could be the case that he leaves the club," said the 52-year-old boss.

"At the moment there has been no offer and I don't particularly want him to leave, but we will discuss these problems and see how things work out.

"Nobby's had a great pre-season and was disappointed not to start at Bolton last week.

"He is a smashing lad and I've particularly enjoyed listening to his band and I would be sad to see him go if that was to happen."

Would not be at all upset if we kept a hold of the little Peruvian. Surely a compromise could be reached?

Guest elbee909

Would not be at all upset if we kept a hold of the little Peruvian. Surely a compromise could be reached?

Michael Owen should lend him his bloody helicopter for trips to London.

I hope that he stays, not just a good squad player to have, but also a nice person who is good to have in the dressingroom and off the pitch. I believe that he's a clever man to have around.

I hope that he stays, not just a good squad player to have, but also a nice person who is good to have in the dressingroom and off the pitch. I believe that he's a clever man to have around.

not clever enough to wear a condom it would seem

Big Sam On Solano Latest

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce says that he would be sad to see Nobby Solano leave Newcastle United but concedes that could happen with the little Peruvian wishing to be closer to his family.

The Toon gaffer has been impressed by the 32-year-old during pre-season and has taken a particular shine to the likeable character of the former Boca Juniors star.

But, with Solano keen to be closer to his children in the South, Allardyce admits that the midfielder could be heading for pastures new.

"Nobby Solano has a similar problem to Kieron in that he wants to be nearer to his family and if that needs to be resolved then it could be the case that he leaves the club," said the 52-year-old boss.

"At the moment there has been no offer and I don't particularly want him to leave, but we will discuss these problems and see how things work out.

"Nobby's had a great pre-season and was disappointed not to start at Bolton last week.

"He is a smashing lad and I've particularly enjoyed listening to his band and I would be sad to see him go if that was to happen."

No once did we see Sam make the same comments about Dyer when his family problems suddenly appeared - speaks volumes really.

I will be sad if Nobby leaves, still one of the best technically gifted player we have, and has brought so many good memories for us. I'm also sure has a positive influence in the dressing room and is a leader in his own quiet way.

But if he wants to leave for family reasons (and I believe him unlike Dyer), then I hope he gets the fans' blessings and will be warmly applauded when he returns. Nobby was second to only Shearer as the most loyal servant NUFC had for the last 10 years. Even when he was sold off to Villa, you could sense that his heart was with us. 

I will be sad if Nobby leaves, still one of the best technically gifted player we have, and has brought so many good memories for us. I'm also sure has a positive influence in the dressing room and is a leader in his own quiet way.

But if he wants to leave for family reasons (and I believe him unlike Dyer), then I hope he gets the fans' blessings and will be warmly applauded when he returns. Nobby was second to only Shearer as the most loyal servant NUFC had for the last 10 years. Even when he was sold off to Villa, you could sense that his heart was with us. 

He is thrid behind Shearer and Given tbf.

Sorry Given is a great player but I would not put him ahead of Solano. Despite our fans raving bout him every week, he never really got a better offer from a bigger club whereas Nobby could have easily stuck his middle finger at us after the way Robson sold him to Villa (for what to develop Ambrose!).

Plus Given whines and complains whenever he is not in the first team even in cup games against second rate opponents, whereas I can't remember Nobby saying anything negative regardless of what position he is asked to play in and even when he is on the bench. 

Sorry Given is a great player but I would not put him ahead of Solano. Despite our fans raving bout him every week, he never really got a better offer from a bigger club whereas Nobby could have easily stuck his middle finger at us after the way Robson sold him to Villa (for what to develop Ambrose!).

Plus Given whines and complains whenever he is not in the first team even in cup games against second rate opponents, whereas I can't remember Nobby saying anything negative regardless of what position he is asked to play in and even when he is on the bench.   

Well i dont want to argue about it as they are both 'great' in my eyes. However, i think you are under-valuing the contribution of Given to the club and are basically making things up about him whining when he isnt in the first team. He is only ever out of the first team due to injury anyway.

Also, trying to nail a point comparing a goalkeeper to an outfield player by saying the outfield player will 'play anywhere' is absurd and needs one of these  :razz:

Well i dont want to argue about it as they are both 'great' in my eyes. However, i think you are under-valuing the contribution of Given to the club and are basically making things up about him whining when he isnt in the first team. He is only ever out of the first team due to injury anyway.

Also, trying to nail a point comparing a goalkeeper to an outfield player by saying the outfield player will 'play anywhere' is absurd and needs one of these  :razz:

How many transfer requests has Given handed in?