Sam chuffed with signings so far

NSG

.cock

Big Sam On Summer Signings

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce believes that he has captured the right blend of youth and experience during a summer which has seen him bring seven new faces to St.James' Park.

The Toon gaffer always maintained that he wanted players with Premiership experience to bolster his United ranks, as well as a mixture of fresh foreign talent new to the English top flight.

And Big Sam is confident that he has achieved that goal as he sets about stamping his mark on a new-look United.

"I think my initial intake into the football club in terms of players was how much Premiership experience is out there and how quickly can we get it in," the Magpies boss told the League Manager's Association.

"So we ended up with Mark Viduka who is an experienced player and Geremi from Chelsea who is a very experienced Premier League player.

"Then we had the younger end by purchasing Joey Barton and Alan Smith, so there was a great capture of four very, very experienced players in the Premier League; two still what we call of prime age in Alan and Joey and two of the experienced age which is Mark and Geremi."

And Allardyce, who has also signed centre-backs David Rozehnal and Claudio Cacapa from the French league and Jose Enrique from Spain, believes it is important to allow those foreign players a bedding-in period.

"The experience of the Premier League is crucial to bringing you success," he added.

"Behind that you find players from abroad now as well as developing your own players in your own academy.

"That's where a lot of clubs over the last few years have slipped up, where the foreign element has made up a lot of the intake they've been asked to play immediately and then found life difficult to adjust.

"They've then got a lot of criticism for the way they've performed because the expectation was so much bigger that they couldn't actually deliver, until they got used to a change of culture, environment, and language."

If Faye comes as well he'll have signed 5 quality players who all have a good amount of Premiership experience, which is exactly what he said he was looking for. In Smith, Geremi, Viduka and Barton he has also signed four "leaders", which is also exactly what he said he was looking for (I'm not sure what Faye's character is like). It's brilliant to have a manager who has a gameplan and - for the most part - sticks to it.

Even when he's bought from abroad, Enrique aside, (which was a good signing in it's own right because of the potential of the lad) he's brought in Lyon's captain and Rozehnal, who looks a natural defender in the Woodgate-mould to me, which instantly leads by example to people like Taylor.

Fantastic work from him, Mort and Cushing so far - with more to come as well.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Is how it's potentially looking so far, with a mooted "replacement" for Srnicek's former role being worked on as well, not to mention another potential signing for the defence.

Looks great, on paper.

If Faye comes as well he'll have signed 5 quality players who all have a good amount of Premiership experience, which is exactly what he said he was looking for. In Smith, Geremi, Viduka and Barton he has also signed four "leaders", which is also exactly what he said he was looking for (I'm not sure what Faye's character is like). It's brilliant to have a manager who has a gameplan and - for the most part - sticks to it.

Even when he's bought from abroad, Enrique aside, (which was a good signing in it's own right because of the potential of the lad) he's brought in Lyon's captain and Rozehnal, who looks a natural defender in the Woodgate-mould to me, which instantly leads by example to people like Taylor.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Is how it's potentially looking so far, with a mooted "replacement" for Srnicek's former role being worked on as well, not to mention another potential signing for the defence.

Looks great, on paper.

And all for a net spend of well under £10 million  :thup:

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

You could possibly argue with the "quality" statement about all 5 - we know Barton and Geremi are decent players, i think Faye is alright, Smith depends on where he plays, and i'm not a fan of Viduka's personally, he's had the odd good season, he's never really done it for me.

But what CAN'T be argued with is that Allardyce has come in acknowledged the problems (first manager for a while to honestly do that), shifted some of the crap, and brought in better payers.

And he's done it on a small net outlay. If it all comes together, we'll be a canny side. And if it doesn't, at least we have a manager who did the right thing, unliek the last 2 monkeys.

I agree. We've developed, for very little outlay, a strong squad that can be relied upon to do a good job in almost all circumstances. If we have a decent year in the league we've got the foundations laid beautifully for bringing in some really top class players next summer.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

the man speaks so much sense, it makes you feel more assured about the club and the team, and in my case, makes me more likely to back him when we go through a rough patch, because so far, hes done nothing wrong, and therefore is justified in expecting people to give him the time. This is unlike souness who wouldnt give robert and bellamy a correct position. Roeder when scouted dirk kuty 1,304,193 times and was still unsure

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

i agree and overall can't complain, but the only thing that would concern me is Geremi and Smith replacing Dyer and Solano. I think the latter two probably offer a little more, even though the new lads have impressed me a great deal. Geremi and Smith are well rounded players, very dependable types who work hard, but they don't really have any exceptional qualities. perhaps Geremi's delivery counts but he's not exactly fashioned his career around exploiting it so it isn't used as much as it could be. Dyer and Nobby, for all their weaknesses (stamina and mobility for solano, injuries and invisibility for dyer) both have exceptional qualities that 95% of premiership players don't have, namely ridiculous pace for dyer, and unimpeachable vision for solano. personally if these two go i'd like us to bring in a right sided attacker who could go someway to replacing what we've lost. Maybe Zoggy's re-emergence goes some way to replacing Dyer, while Diouf would be a good addition, and a fast wing-back in the mould of Miguel or Alves wouldn't go amiss.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

i agree and overall can't complain, but the only thing that would concern me is Geremi and Smith replacing Dyer and Solano. I think the latter two probably offer a little more, even though the new lads have impressed me a great deal. Geremi and Smith are well rounded players, very dependable types who work hard, but they don't really have any exceptional qualities. perhaps Geremi's delivery counts but he's not exactly fashioned his career around exploiting it so it isn't used as much as it could be. Dyer and Nobby, for all their weaknesses (stamina and mobility for solano, injuries and invisibility for dyer) both have exceptional qualities that 95% of premiership players don't have, namely ridiculous pace for dyer, and unimpeachable vision for solano. personally if these two go i'd like us to bring in a right sided attacker who could go someway to replacing what we've lost. Maybe Zoggy's re-emergence goes some way to replacing Dyer, while Diouf would be a good addition, and a fast wing-back in the mould of Miguel or Alves wouldn't go amiss.

Dyer didn't do fuck all with his pace, he really is no great loss whatsoever.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

Good post and extra points for the use of unimpeachable ;)

I have to nip out very swiftly, but in regards to that post Johnny, you cannot underestimate Alllardyce's new formation, Solano's age and Dyer's injury problems - plus the fact that we might be bringing in another play if Solano leaves, as well. If you know what I mean. So then we'll have 3 players replacing O'Brien, Dyer and Solano, which will look a mile better on paper.

Geremi was brought in as an aside to Solano and probably with Sam thinking both would play together (their link-up play in some of the friendlies was fantastic), so I could still see us getting another "forward" player in if Nobby does indeed leave, your shouts for the type of player we need is exactly right.

I know what you're saying about Dyer's pace and Solano's vision, but with Allardyce comes a completely different system and I'm not sure there was a place for either in the first eleven if he ever had his full squad available with them still here. Perhaps Dyer, but Solano wouldn't have had a sniff, IMO.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, but I see Geremi and Smith as being better than Solano and Dyer in the current climate, especially considering we'll have paid about £2-3M less for the pair of them.

Guest lebowski

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

You could possibly argue with the "quality" statement about all 5 - we know Barton and Geremi are decent players, i think Faye is alright, Smith depends on where he plays, and i'm not a fan of Viduka's personally, he's had the odd good season, he's never really done it for me.

But what CAN'T be argued with is that Allardyce has come in acknowledged the problems (first manager for a while to honestly do that), shifted some of the crap, and brought in better payers.

And he's done it on a small net outlay. If it all comes together, we'll be a canny side. And if it doesn't, at least we have a manager who did the right thing, unliek the last 2 monkeys.

I know what you say about Viduka except that all the neutrals I know (and that know football) rave about what a talented footballer he is. I hope they are right and he does  a job for us this season, which I guess may not necessarily be scoring goals himself.

Can't wait to watch us play again. Such a change from the end of last season when I wanted the season to end as soon as possible.

The only two things we really lack are pace and vision in the form of a dominating midfielder who can see a great pass on in an instant - these 2 things are vital, esp in away games if you are trying to catch a team on the break - that is why I think this Saturday's game will be a good guide as to how we deal with a team with these qualities.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

Dont mean to shit on your post buddy, but i dont think its safe to count Enrique as an improvement over anyone, most of us have never seen him kick a ball, same goes for Cacapa.

Although i did watch Cacapa play in the CL, and he did look sound, not really anything to go by, as it was against a very boring real madrid side.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

Dont mean to s*** on your post buddy, but i dont think its safe to count Enrique as an improvement over anyone, most of us have never seen him kick a ball, same goes for Cacapa.

Although i did watch Cacapa play in the CL, and he did look sound, not really anything to go by, as it was against a very boring real madrid side.

anyone who can kick a ball is an improvement to Bernard.. has he retired yet?

Guest mugcheese

Don't think I can make topics yet so I'll post it in here. Mike Forde, the Bolton performance director who we all assumed had followed Allardyce here is going to Chelsea: http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2150679,00.html

"Forde had been expected to rejoin his former manager at Bolton, Sam Allardyce, at Newcastle United only for the two clubs to fail to agree a compensation package to prise him from his rolling contract at the Reebok Stadium."

Pretty suprised and disapointed that we couldn't agree terms to bring him here, I thought this guy was a major part of Allardyce's Bolton setup?

And all for a net spend of well under £10 million 

Anyone know why this phrase became the in thing to say this summer? Is it pop at  new board to say they have only spent this? Is it to highlight Sam as wheeler dealer? Why don't people not talk about total spent anymore?

In Mark Viduka we have THE best hold up center forward, certainly in the Prem and possibly Europe. Forget about the fact that he looks slow and at times lazy, he is a back to goal forward, not a pacy run on to passes type, or fox in the box type. Before anyone has a go at him just watch the way he takes a pass, controls it looks to either roll the defender if he is too close or pops off a pass if he has a run from someone or turns quick and attacks the defender. He must be a nightmare to mark (no pun here). Class player who is vital to us having a season to remember.

Rozehnal - Bramble

Cacapa - Moore

Faye - Onyewu

Enrique - Bernard

Smith - Dyer

Geremi - Solano

Barton - Parker

Viduka - Sibierski

Looks great, on paper.

Dont mean to shit on your post buddy, but i dont think its safe to count Enrique as an improvement over anyone, most of us have never seen him kick a ball, same goes for Cacapa.

I have seen both play more than once, in fairness (Enrique for a full match in the flesh at SJP last season and numerous times on SkySports), though of course I haven't been avid watchers of the pair of them, or paid particular attention to them. Like you said, you cannot really compare it to how they'll fair in a new team and a new country, but I'm fairly confident that they don't have to do that well to be a step-up from Ollie and Craig.

I'd be shocked if Enrique does less for us than Bernard did last season, put it that way. Of course there's a chance he'll get crocked and miss every game of the season while collecting his wages, but surely the odds are in his favour that he'll be an improvement on Bernard? Seems logical enough to me. If he plays a solitary minute of a game he'll be an improvement, unless he scores an own goal or gets sent off in that minute :lol:

As for Cacapa and Moore, it's a similar story, I know the Brazilian has had his share of injury problems in the past but Craig Moore made 29 starts for us in two years, along with 2 sub appearances - which is fucking ridiculous, and he wasn't even very good when he did play. Cacapa comes with huge pedigree and experience (i.e. he hadn't "failed" at Palace and been released by a club for drinking, allegedly).

I really don't see it as much of a stretch to say both will be improvements, the odds are heavily in-favour.

And all for a net spend of well under £10 million 

Anyone know why this phrase became the in thing to say this summer? Is it pop at  new board to say they have only spent this? Is it to highlight Sam as wheeler dealer? Why don't people not talk about total spent anymore?

It is the best measure of how much the club has actually invested in the squad. It takes account of the fact that funds were received for departing players (good sums for both Parker and Dyer imo) and is therefore relevant to the point made in the opening post. Its been a good summer's business so far is the point. No pop intended at any board tbh.