Say we DON'T sign a creative midfielder...

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think it's pretty unlikely we'll sign anyone else after the expected/hoped Faye and Belletti, despite Parky's protestations. :razz:

Assuming we don't, who do you think we should use as our main driving force from midfield?

Emre seems to be a forgotten man due his injuries; I'm excited to see what he can do under Allardyce. I think he's a talented player who could thrive next to Geremi or Butt in a 4-4-2. But then there's Barton who I see as a dynamic player, with good qualities going forward. He's Allardyce's signing, and scores a couple, too. N'Zogbia claims to prefer the position and looked good in some spells in pre-season, but I'm still unconvinced of his overall strength for the Premier League there. Can't remember if Milner has ever played there for us, hasn't he done so for the U21s?

I think it'd be worth trying

------Geremi------

Barton------Emre

for home games at least, it'll give us a lot of options in midfield. Might be worth bringing in Butt or Smith for Emre away from home, where he seems to go missing more often than not. For the time being, with both Barton and Emre out I'd be looking to get Enrique in asap and use Zog through the middle to give us some much needed drive. Don't know what option to vote for though!

The clear choice is Emre, but he is too in and out of games for my liking and he hasn't the ability to hurt the opp with his creativity. A nice player with a good touch he might be and ocassional good short/mid range passing, but sorely lacking in vision to really excel at the role. We need to buy one for when teams shut up shop at SJP. A player who will start most home games and has the ability to change a game coming on as sub in the away games percieved too tight for him to perhaps start.

In saying that it isn't a crisis and I'm very happy with the start we've made and things will come together. Would be nice to have the snipers rifle in the locker mind. :razz:

The reason I started the other thread is that I'm fairly certain we're getting one and if not now then in Jan.

I think it'd be worth trying

------Geremi------

Barton------Emre

for home games at least, it'll give us a lot of options in midfield. Might be worth bringing in Butt or Smith for Emre away from home, where he seems to go missing more often than not. For the time being, with both Barton and Emre out I'd be looking to get Enrique in asap and use Zog through the middle to give us some much needed drive. Don't know what option to vote for though!

Agree completely. I think we could still use the 4-3-3 at home but with Barton and Emre in the midfield three. This would make a massive differnce I think. Also, when our new fullbakcs (enrique and Belleti hopefully!) are up to speed this will also offer additional width and attacking play, as both are good at getting forward.

Voted Barton (sad really, that he's our playmaker) since we've seen Emre fail at playing that role before, granted under sh*te management, but i just don't see emre coming back from a long injury, and not to mention a season of mediocrity (had a few good games) and being our outlet in midfield. I do hope i'm wrong and emre stuns us all

Emre may be the only one on the list who is good enough at this point, but that is not consistent - he disappears far too much, and clearly isn't technically a great player.

What you mean by that? As in poor technique? Poor first touch?

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5916/topdx6.gif                          http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6346/emre0104ph2.jpg

Emre                                                                                              A spinning top

If we don't sign a playmaker we don't have one as far as I'm concerned so I'd go for a 4-4-2 (especially at home) with the box-to-box qualities of Geremi and Barton (when he returns) and I'd play Milner and N'Zogbia as wide men to provide service to the front men. I'd hope that Enrique and a new RB (here's hoping) would also provide some good width.

Emre may be the only one on the list who is good enough at this point, but that is not consistent - he disappears far too much, and clearly isn't technically a great player.

If your trying tell me that Emre isn't good technically then your off your head. Apart from Nobby noone in a our squad has the abilty on the ball that Emre does.

Can't argue on the consistancy side though, spot on. However, i think Allardyce's set up would suit him better and he would have extra fitness and motivation.

With Dyer gone, Emre is the only player who will actually run with the ball at defenders, which can open up some space. Haven't seen enough of Joey Barton to comment but I don't think he is a playmaker, more of a midfield general of which we have plenty now.

We don't need one, we need more players like Alan Smith who graft and give 100% rather than some fancy fucker strolling around and not getting stuck in...

Doesn't do any harm to have another option though. Probably why Sam bought Djorkiouff tbh.

With Dyer gone, Emre is the only player who will actually run with the ball at defenders, which can open up some space. Haven't seen enough of Joey Barton to comment but I don't think he is a playmaker, more of a midfield general of which we have plenty now.

Your right about Emre but Barton is very much a creative player. He may not "run at" defences but he has quick pinpoint passing and an abilty to assist and score goals. It's about drive going forward in midfield. Barton takes no time getting from defence to attack in one quick move.

We don't need one, we need more players like Alan Smith who graft and give 100% rather than some fancy fucker strolling around and not getting stuck in...

Doesn't do any harm to have another option though. Probably why Sam bought Djorkiouff tbh.

Major woosh.

Your right about Emre but Barton is very much a creative player. He may not "run at" defences but he has quick pinpoint passing and an abilty to assist and score goals. It's about drive going forward in midfield. Barton takes no time getting from defence to attack in one quick move.

Fine, but in crowded midfield battles like we had on Wednesday, it's quite hard to make pin point passes as players are tightly marked. That's where a player who can beat a man can open up some space which is why a player like Emre could give another option to change the game.

However, i think Allardyce's set up would suit him better and he would have extra fitness and motivation.

I've heard he's working his bollocks off in training btw.

Wouldn't you? hes just been shoved down the pecking order.. fighting for a place, showing some passion- i love it

If your trying tell me that Emre isn't good technically then your off your head. Apart from Nobby noone in a our squad has the abilty on the ball that Emre does.

Can't argue on the consistancy side though, spot on. However, i think Allardyce's set up would suit him better and he would have extra fitness and motivation.

I don't think he's that great techniclaly. At set pieces he was predominantly poor, and he never created as much as some performances hinted at.

I'm not saying he's shite, just that he's a decent player, no more.

Who did Barton play alongside most of the time for City?

My guess is Reyna.

Aye, that's who I would have said.

Its who I would have said too. Thats certainly when he/we were at our best in the past few years.

Also, Ireland, Hamann, Johnson, and Dabo in the recent past, most of which time was in a 3. Before that, when KK was in charge and Barton was on the fringes he would have played a bit with Paul Bosvelt.