Do you trust Mike Ashley?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As far as I can see there's no reason to think ill of him so far? Provided some funds without irresponsibly splashing round stupid money ala Magnusson and cleared a sizeable chunk of the debt

After years of clamouring for Shepard out you're already looking for faults in the new owner? Give him a chance first

The last thing this club needs is uncertainty, we've had it at just about every level for over 40 years now, and is one of the major reasons why we're so unpredictable as a club, or blow hot and cold. If we can get 10 good years out of Ashley I'd be happy, delighted even, because I think he'd do everything within reason to make a huge success of the club, but 5 years, figures like that? Sorry but that's of no use to Newcastle United Football Club and that will always be a concern for me, while he's the owner I suppose.

Why is that a concern while he's the owner?  Who's suggested "figures like 5 years"?

Trust him with what exactly? I guess that the original post is aimed at asking whether we believe his motives are ahem "honourable" as far as our club is concerned.

Maybe. He'll make sure the club is run in a professional and business like manner. Mort is a good pro but at the end of the day he's is just that. Its a business investment. Ashley will face the decisions that every businessman faces on what level to invest to maximise the value of his asset. Very unlikely that the answer will be zero tbh. He will strike a balance based on his own judgement and I think we've seen that policy so far - sensible buying and selling resulting in a far better squad (in my opinion).

If anyone thinks Ashley has suddenly become a passionate Geordie who is prepared to take the club on a mad and unplanned spending spree in the vague hope of success - then I would disagree. And if anyone thinks Chris Mort is anything other than an extremely competent and professional business administrator - well I think not. From my perception there's far more positives than negatives in all that though,

And if the rumours are true and Ashley takes a business decision and decides that the time is right to sell - as long as the new owners commit to the good work that has been done and don't try and reinvent everything then we'll be fine.   

The last thing this club needs is uncertainty, we've had it at just about every level for over 40 years now, and is one of the major reasons why we're so unpredictable as a club, or blow hot and cold. If we can get 10 good years out of Ashley I'd be happy, delighted even, because I think he'd do everything within reason to make a huge success of the club, but 5 years, figures like that? Sorry but that's of no use to Newcastle United Football Club and that will always be a concern for me, while he's the owner I suppose.

Why is that a concern while he's the owner?  Who's suggested "figures like 5 years"?

quoted as saying he has a 5 year plan for the club.. in which we'll be in the champs league.

That said, i have no reason not to trust him

quoted as saying he has a 5 year plan for the club.. in which we'll be in the champs league.

Link?

Guest sicko2ndbest

The only reason people voting No are voting on the basis of what they hear in the local rags. How often does Malcolm Glazer go to Man utd games, Randy Learner to Vlla games. Very few people know the owner of big coorperations as they stay in the background.

Look at all the stories coming out a few weeks ago the the Glazers were going to sell. It is pure speculation, in the vain hope of getting a response. NUFC, because of our goldfish bowl nature is a place where news spreads like wildfire coupled with the scepticism of the fans means the club nearly always have to make a statement.

I voted aye because as of yet he has done nothing but improve the club.

Link?

Took me ages because it's old as f*ck but heres an extract from an article:

"Ashley is also expected to talk about his plans and ambitions for the club once he has reached the 90% ownership target. Initial suggestions were that he wanted the Magpies to be able to win the Premiership League Title within three years and be competing for the European Champions League within five years. That is a very aggressive plan to say the least"

heres the link if you want it.      http://nufcblog.com/mike-ashley-gets-closer-to-taking-newcastle-united-private/

It would be naive to think that Ashley has bought the club out of the goodness of his heart. He simply hasn't. In my opinion, he's bought us so he can make a few quid. Hopefully he realises that the best way to use NUFC to make money is to make it as successful as possible on the park and maximise the income it will generate.

We've got no safety net though. If it goes tits-up and he drops us like a hot potato then we'd be left well and truly in the shit. It's a risky situation for all concerned tbh. For him and for us. I'd like to think he trusts us to continue backing the team and buying tickets, merchandise etc but we've also got no choice but to trust him too. The thought of him selling the club for a knockdown price to anyone, should it go tits-up, doesn't bear thinking about.

We've got no choice - we've got to trust him. 

Link?

"Ashley is also expected to talk about his plans and ambitions for the club once he has reached the 90% ownership target. Initial suggestions were that he wanted the Magpies to be able to win the Premiership League Title within three years and be competing for the European Champions League within five years. That is a very aggressive plan to say the least"

heres the link if you want it.      http://nufcblog.com/mike-ashley-gets-closer-to-taking-newcastle-united-private/

It's on nufcblog, it might as well be written in stone as far as I'm concerned. 100% nailed on.

Link?

It's on nufcblog, it might as well be written in stone as far as I'm concerned. 100% nailed on.

Nah it was pretty wide spread when he first took over, remember that myself.

Link?

knew somebody would have a dig.. he asked for a link and thats the only place i could find it... there were some direct quotes from the big man's representatives, but since its been ages the story's problaby long gone.

Not questioning his intentions.. just responding

Link?

knew somebody would have a dig.. he asked for a link and thats the only place i could find it... there were some direct quotes from the big man's representatives, but since its been ages the story's problaby long gone.

Not questioning his intentions.. just responding

Sorry, chap. Didn't mean to put down your efforts.

It would be naive to think that Ashley has bought the club out of the goodness of his heart. He simply hasn't. In my opinion, he's bought us so he can make a few quid. Hopefully he realises that the best way to use NUFC to make money is to make it as successful as possible on the park and maximise the income it will generate.

We've got no safety net though. If it goes tits-up and he drops us like a hot potato then we'd be left well and truly in the shit. It's a risky situation for all concerned tbh. For him and for us. I'd like to think he trusts us to continue backing the team and buying tickets, merchandise etc but we've also got no choice but to trust him too. The thought of him selling the club for a knockdown price to anyone, should it go tits-up, doesn't bear thinking about.

We could equally not trust him. It won't make much difference either way.

That's fair enough.  blueyes.gif

I was just trying to point out that we don't really have any choice in the matter. He owns the joint lock stock and barrel. He can do what he wants, whe he wants, how he wants and there's not a thing we can do about it. He's taken us off the Stock Market, which is his prerogative, and I'm assuming that the club won't be publishing any accounts for the foreseeable... 

We've got a choice - back him and the club, whilst crossing our fingers behind our backs, or turn on him and question his intentions.

I'll go for the former thanks.  :lol:

I was just trying to point out that we don't really have any choice in the matter. He owns the joint lock stock and barrel. He can do what he wants, whe he wants, how he wants and there's not a thing we can do about it. He's taken us off the Stock Market, which is his prerogative, and I'm assuming that the club won't be publishing any accounts for the foreseeable... 

We've got a choice - back him and the club, whilst crossing our fingers behind our backs, or turn on him and question his intentions.

Thing is though this is how all football clubs were run 15 years ago

Thing is though this is how all football clubs were run 15 years ago

Thing is also, though, that this is how the most successful clubs are being run today.

Actually, it's true that if we choose to trust him -- because trusting or not trusting is actually a choice -- the result will be a happier, more confident club.

Actually, it's true that if we choose to trust him -- because trusting or not trusting is actually a choice -- the result will be a happier, more confident club.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Don't see how questioning his intentions will do any good whatsoever tbh. My glass is half full and I'm pleased a billionaire owns us and, by all accounts, wants to make a go of things up here. He deserves a bit of backing/trust imo.  :thup:

Just my 2 cents.

I trust Ashley to run the club in a professional manner which will see results on the pitch. What I like about Ashley is that he appears to be the most successful business man to take over a club. Who knows how Ambramovich made his money but we can all guess, Shinawatra at Man City, well we can guess again there, and all the American owners appear to have got some big loans to buy the clubs (Not sure about Learner at Villa) and I most certainly would not want West Ham’s owners. Actually I think the decision to buy Newcastle shows that Ashley has his head screwed on as I think it has more going for it than a lot of clubs who have been taken over.

I'm actually glad that Ashley's in it for the money because I would seriously question someone who was doing it out of the "goodness of their heart". What I mean by this is that the days of Jack Walker at Blackburn when he won the league with I don't know say approximately £30million are long gone. To be successful these days you need to spend a lot more than that and I do not know how it can be justified. If I had the money Ashley has and wasn't after a return on my money I'd help the less fortunate people in the world.

As far as I can see there's no reason to think ill of him so far? Provided some funds without irresponsibly splashing round stupid money ala Magnusson and cleared a sizeable chunk of the debt

After years of clamouring for Shepard out you're already looking for faults in the new owner? Give him a chance first

Nailed it!

Everything that has happened this summer has been exactly what was needed. Nothing knee-jerk, just steadying of the ship, turning it round, and seting off in the right direction. Planning and patience is what we need now.