England vs The Dirty Hun @ Wemberley

Keefaz

Guest SeattleToon

Seaman was a good goalkeeper...certainly not brilliant or world-class, though. I don't think anyone ever thought of him as being one of the top five in the world while he was playing, for example, and he was certainly not in the same class as Schmiechel, Kahn, Chilavert, or Buffon. If you look at the voting for Goalkeeper of the Year (www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/iffhs-gkoy.html), he had exactly one top-5 finish in his entire career.

Seaman was a good goalkeeper...certainly not brilliant or world-class, though. I don't think anyone ever thought of him as being one of the top five in the world while he was playing, for example, and he was certainly not in the same class as Schmiechel, Kahn, Chilavert, or Buffon. If you look at the voting for Goalkeeper of the Year (www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/iffhs-gkoy.html), he had exactly one top-5 finish in his entire career.

Not that it means anything anyway, but that says he had one 2nd place and three 5th places.

Seaman was brilliant. People just prefer to remember when he was past his best like Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002.

I think that one Ronaldinho goal did a lot to damage Seaman's reputation, and too many people remember him for that.  Shame really.

though g barry played well,  lampard was his usual "promise much, deliver little" self. 

Mclaffen really is a gutless twat, he continues to fluff the right chices.  AT least we didnt have to suffer downing last night.

Cole looked bright, but am not sure he  is in the right slot.  He should be in lampard position, as a creative attacking midfielder.......lampards passing is poor, at least he wrecked a few attacking moves last night. 

Cole has a tendency to keep comming inside and not deliver crosses from the edge of the box.

YOu either need width and good crosses or you need a creative attacking midfield behind the strikers.........we cant get either of these right, so no chance of doing both at once!!

maclaffen is starting to look as hapless as roeder...infact i think roeder would do a better job!!!

Guest SeattleToon

In addition to the Ronalinho goal there was also "Nayim from the halfway line"....

I don't think anybody outside of England ever considered him to be one of the best keepers in the world...he was on ESM's team of the month once in his entire career and never was on the team of the year.

The bigger question is why England no longer produces any world class keepers....Robinson is proving himself to be a joke, and David James was one too.

Isn't it kind of embarassing that there are only 5-6 English keepers in the Premier League? Compare that to the other top European leagues, where almost all the keepers are natives.

aye and we used to provide all the best keepers

Gordon Banks was the best I ever saw regularly though I did once see Lev Yashin play and he was bloody frightening - no messing about with HIM

Dyer showed that you can stretch a team if there's pace and movement there. He also displayed he's not very good at football. It's all very well looking dangerous, but if it never amounts to anything then is it worth it? He missed two very good chances and played the ball behind Lampard when a simple pass to the right space would probably have meant a goal.

On another note, the only players who impressed me were Richards, Cole and SWP. Cole really is a pleasure to watch when he's running with the ball, and the way SWP managed to wriggle between the two players stood next to each other near the end was brilliant.

Paul Robinson is an average goalkeeper whose mistakes seem to be as frequent as David James' ever were.  I hate his attitude too, he seems to never accept blame or to recognize his own faults.

Must be a fucking scouser then!

In addition to the Ronalinho goal there was also "Nayim from the halfway line"....

I don't think anybody outside of England ever considered him to be one of the best keepers in the world...he was on ESM's team of the month once in his entire career and never was on the team of the year.

The bigger question is why England no longer produces any world class keepers....Robinson is proving himself to be a joke, and David James was one too.

Isn't it kind of embarassing that there are only 5-6 English keepers in the Premier League? Compare that to the other top European leagues, where almost all the keepers are natives.

England's lack of a top-class goalkeeper is the national side's second-biggest worry after having a complete cretin as a manager, but why the fuck should anyone find this "embarrassing"?

Dyer showed that you can stretch a team if there's pace and movement there. He also displayed he's not very good at football. It's all very well looking dangerous, but if it never amounts to anything then is it worth it? He missed two very good chances and played the ball behind Lampard when a simple pass to the right space would probably have meant a goal.

On another note, the only players who impressed me were Richards, Cole and SWP. Cole really is a pleasure to watch when he's running with the ball, and the way SWP managed to wriggle between the two players stood next to each other near the end was brilliant.

Word, but I would say that you could argue that Cole looked dangerous without really amounting to anything.  TBF though, on another day, Joe Cole would've scored a goal, maybe two.

Gordon Banks was the best I ever saw regularly though I did once see Lev Yashin play and he was bloody frightening - no messing about with HIM

Agreed - Banks was superb and Shilton was also very good  although he had a weakness with ground shots.

We have never had a better keeper than Banks and the last couple have been dreadful.

Seaman was good, but not in Banks'class.

oliver kahn fucked up in the world cup final but i don't think people let it affect their view of him. and i don't think that best keepers in the world table thingy you posted has much credibility either, even tho seaman regularly finds himself in it, chilavert came top for three years ffs!

Guest firetotheworks

I think Carson will be pushing for a place soon. James' form has been good but he's not a long term solution and as soon as he puts a foot wrong the media will jump on the calamity james bandwagon again. I was canny pleased with a lot of Smiths passes through to Owen as well. Some nice touches. can only be good for us if you hoy Viduka into the equation as well.

Agreed - Banks was superb and Shilton was also very good  although he had a weakness with ground shots.

We have never had a better keeper than Banks and the last couple have been dreadful.

Seaman was good, but not in Banks'class.

In fairness, Banks is arguably just behind Yashin as the best goalkeeper ever so it isn't too surprising no one has surpassed him from England.

Clemence was a very good one too from Shilton's era. Nothing much between those two.

oliver kahn f***** up in the world cup final but i don't think people let it affect their view of him. and i don't think that best keepers in the world table thingy you posted has much credibility either, even tho seaman regularly finds himself in it, chilavert came top for three years ffs!

Kahn was definitely to blame for losing the final. But it was not so much the blunder itself but rather the fact that he chose to play on with an injured hand (which caused the blunder).