Smoggies VS Newcastle

Decky

Guest graemeh72

Has anybody checked the weather forecast for the weekend?

You know what the RIversides like - odd bursts of snow resulting in bizzarre postponements

Geremi and Martins might not be fit to play after they couldn't feature for their countries yesterday.

Geremi stayed behind because he's applying for citizenship, not because he was injured.

Yup, saw the story and have commented on it in other threads. Will edit.

The 4-3-3 only worked at Bolton because they were utter shite, we need to face upto that fact!!

It worked at Bolton because we actually played good football without long-ball. We did the opposite in both respects against Villa. I wouldn't change the formation.

Harper

Carr   Taylor   Rozehnal   N'Zogbia

Butt

Smith      Geremi

Milner          Viduka          Martins

... again and fuck long-ball.

Bench: Forster, Cacapa, Enrique, Ameobi, Owen

If we play with the mindset that we had at Bolton, then we'll hammer this Boro side. Someone said it earlier, but they've arguably got their entire backline out injured at the moment and we can really stun their defense if we drive at them like we can. Get shot of this bloody long ball, it did no one any favours; Viduka can't hold up the ball aerially and Butt can't play a decent long, high pass if the Villa game's anything to go by - so there's little point.

Bolton gave us time on the ball and allowed us to play, they were well out of sorts, but in the 2nd half when they came out fighting they caught us and started to gain a hold on the game.

Villa who were much more sorted as a team kept us well ay bay really when we were a 4-3-3 and us the home team too.

I just do not think we have the right players to play a decent 4-3-3 formation.

I actually agree with Skirge, our win was as much about how poor Bolton were first half as how good we were in that period.

Bolton gave us time on the ball and allowed us to play, they were well out of sorts, but in the 2nd half when they came out fighting they caught us and started to gain a hold on the game.

Villa who were much more sorted as a team kept us well ay bay really when we were a 4-3-3 and us the home team too.

I just do not think we have the right players to play a decent 4-3-3 formation.

Its very early days with this new formation so in reality it will take time to bed in, i.e good against bolton, not so good against villa. I think its a tailor made away formation, but your right the jurys out on whether we have the players at this juncture to effectively use the 4-3-3.

What is true though, is that if these players are ever going to learn to play 4-3-3, then they need practice! Give it a go thats what i say

Well, either way - i'd start with 4-3-3. We can go to 4-4-2 very easily with Owen and Shola, or whoever, on the bench. I think we should stick with it for now, because we could do so well with it. Like i say, it's easy enough to switch - i just hope Allardyce does this time if he needs to. We should win either way in all honesty.

Take whatever formation was more profitable into the Wigan game.

I think however the boro match goes, Sam should go 4-4-2 against wigan. Stick zoggy and milner on the flanks and try to really stretch wigan.

Well, either way - i'd start with 4-3-3. We can go to 4-4-2 very easily with Owen and Shola, or whoever, on the bench. I think we should stick with it for now, because we could do so well with it. Like i say, it's easy enough to switch - i just hope Allardyce does this time if he needs to. We should win either way in all honesty.

Take whatever formation was more profitable into the Wigan game.

Yes, i've changed my mind. We should stick with the 433 for Boro until the game has calmed down. Once we have a foothold in the game we can change the side to suit the flair players.

I'd be tempted with:

Harper

Taylor        Cacapa      Rozehnal    Enrique

Butt

Geremi            Smith

Milner              Owen                Viduka

My reasoning is that we can play angled long balls to Viduka in order to exploit their full backs. It also allows Owen to start the game, which he is ready for. If the game becomes stale we don't need to make subs to change the system, just reshuffle.

In all honesty anything less than a win is abysmal.

I reckon owen is fit enough, and if martins is injured stick viduka up front- just want to see those two together really.

Away game. Derby. Anything less than a win is abysmal. Pretty much like the thread by Brazilianbob you've just been taking the piss out of.

I reckon owen is fit enough, and if martins is injured stick viduka up front- just want to see those two together really.

Away game. Derby. Anything less than a win is abysmal. Pretty much like the thread by Brazilianbob you've just been taking the piss out of.

except mine is more positive :)

We really should be beating Boro tbh. Abysmal is maybe be pushing it, but a draw would be a disappointment.

On the whole though (we'll beat Wigan), two wins and two draws would be a decent start, and a nice change. Still, three wins and one draw should be expected. I can imagine Allardyce will have set that as his benchmark, actually.

And it's not a derby. ;)

2-1 Newcastle. Smith to bag a couple. :D

slightly the opposite of what BB said tho.. keep up mate  :rolleyes:

he said that we have a dissappointing season lined up.. i said i'll be dissappointed if we don't win..

You said anything less than a win away to Middlesbrough is "abysmal", actually.

I'd be satisfied with a point as it would equal the start we made in 01/02 in our first three games against similar level opposition (Chelsea away, Sunderland home, Middlesbrough away).

5 points from three games, two of which are away, would not be a bad start at all.

I'd be satisfied with a point as it would equal the start we made in 01/02 in our first three games against similar level opposition (Chelsea away, Sunderland home, Middlesbrough away).

5 points from three games, two of which are away, would not be a bad start at all.

wouldn't it? If we want to reach that high european echalante we need to be beating teams like boro (expecting to struggle) home or away. we can't just be content with draws against teams we'r better than.. don't see the problem with that. That's just my view anyway- its not like i'm talking about manyoo here, just saying i'll  be dissappointed if we don't win.

Guest firetotheworks

wouldn't it? If we want to reach that high european echalante we need to be beating teams like boro (expecting to struggle) home or away. we can't just be content with draws against teams we'r better than.. don't see the problem with that. That's just my view anyway- its not like i'm talking about manyoo here, just saying i'll  be dissappointed if we don't win.

Fair enough like. Saying it would be abysmal is different to saying you'd be disappointed though. I'll be a little disappointed if we dont win but I wont be too disheartned were we to draw.

Fair enough like. Saying it would be abysmal is different to saying you'd be disappointed though. I'll be a little disappointed if we dont win but I wont be too disheartned were we to draw.

You get what i mean, you know it's a game we should win.

With these Ferrero Rocher you are really spoiling us.

Boro look very vulnerable and if we get at them I think this is a very winnable game as far as away games go. Without Huth and Woodgate their defence looks very dodgy and without Viduka and Yakubu you have to wonder who will be putting the chances away at the other end. We have to go for 3 points here, and I think 4-4-2 would be the best way of achieving that because it would play to our strengths and would ask more questions of their defence.

A point wouldn't be a disaster, but it wouldn't be a great achievement either given the circumstances.