Yet another wasted season!

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Sniffer

Bolton didn't win much either on the field or in terms of filling the stands. It's hardly like they were arsenal a few years ago, boring but winning the league. That I can take. Boring and winning nothing is a different story.

Once again the intransigence of the holder of the purse strings at NUFC, has consigned us fans to yet another season of mediocrity.

Granted we have brought in a lot of decent players for around £21m, but none are particularly world class or young enough to make them a decent long term investment, whilst we have sold two current England internationals in Parker and Dyer for a total of £14 to £15m.  That makes our outlay a miserly £6/7m.

If Allardyce/Ashley/Mort think that is enough to get us into Europe or win cups etc this season, then great if we do, but I fear we will end up mid table yet again with nothing in the trophy cabinet but 40 year old dust, and we will again be unable to attract quality players next close season due to the lack of European football at SJP.

I live in hope that the big investments are made over the next week, but somehow I doubt it.

Jesus.

If this isn't a wind-up, kindly fuck off.

Guest Magpiecn

Bolton didn't win much either on the field or in terms of filling the stands. It's hardly like they were arsenal a few years ago, boring but winning the league. That I can take. Boring and winning nothing is a different story.

If its that case,Sam will be sacked.Ashley wont like to see a empty Gallowgate stand.

I think comparing Bolton pre-Allardyce to what they achieved with him is a fairer comparison than with George Graham's Arsenal.

Once again the intransigence of the holder of the purse strings at NUFC, has consigned us fans to yet another season of mediocrity.

Granted we have brought in a lot of decent players for around £21m, but none are particularly world class or young enough to make them a decent long term investment, whilst we have sold two current England internationals in Parker and Dyer for a total of £14 to £15m.  That makes our outlay a miserly £6/7m.

If Allardyce/Ashley/Mort think that is enough to get us into Europe or win cups etc this season, then great if we do, but I fear we will end up mid table yet again with nothing in the trophy cabinet but 40 year old dust, and we will again be unable to attract quality players next close season due to the lack of European football at SJP.

I live in hope that the big investments are made over the next week, but somehow I doubt it.

A club is developed in phases and a well thought through strategy that inc investment behind the scenes and in the overall knowledge base. To build a team from solid foundations as SA is doing is nothing to be scoffed at and not something that shows lack of foresight or spending power. We have the ability to spend and this has been made clear often enough by Mr Mort and other communications from the club.

£30m has been wiped off the debt and a lot of stragglers have been cleared out. We already show signs of a dynamic and competitive midfield that is less likely to roll over away from home and our strike force is as good as any in the league on paper.

Def issues have been addressed and will continue to be addressed. Throwing silly money at players is not out policy any longer and a good thing that is too. SA has highlighted the need to compete and keep clean sheets as part of his philosophy to develop a side that is hard to beat, witness the seachange in Liverpool with the arrival of Benitez, it was safety first and still is to an extent and the same goes for Chelsea.

Combine this with the fact that we have signed and excellent prospect and sought after left back at the fraction of the cost of the player that Spurs have acquired and I am more than happy.

The next step will be to add some creativity to the midfield and don't  assume that Sam isn't aware of this (witness the continuing rumours reg Deco). I don't think SA has any intention on relying on Emre alone and that will be the case as you'll see by the end of the transfer window.

We are moving in the right direction which I feel is clear to the majority of the support.

Jesus.

If this isn't a wind-up, kindly fuck off.

Or just fuck off anyway.

FFS

They must be brilliant then!

A club is developed in phases and a well thought through strategy that inc investment behind the scenes and in the overall knowledge base. To build a team from solid foundations as SA is doing is nothing to be scoffed at and not something that shows lack of foresight or spending power. We have the ability to spend and this has been made clear often enough by Mr Mort and other communications from the club.

£30m has been wiped off the debt and a lot of stragglers have been cleared out. We already show signs of a dynamic and competitive midfield that is less likely to roll over away from home and our strike force is as good as any in the league on paper.

Def issues have been addressed and will continue to be addressed. Throwing silly money at players is not out policy any longer and a good thing that is too. SA has highlighted the need to compete and keep clean sheets as part of his philosophy to develop a side that is hard to beat, witness the seachange in Liverpool with the arrival of Benitez, it was safety first and still is to an extent and the same goes for Chelsea.

Combine this with the fact that we have signed and excellent prospect and sought after left back at the fraction of the cost of the player that Spurs have acquired and I am more than happy.

The next step will be to add some creativity to the midfield and don't  assume that Sam isn't aware of this (witness the continuing rumours reg Deco). I don't think SA has any intention on relying on Emre alone and that will be the case as you'll see by the end of the transfer window.

We are moving in the right direction which I feel is clear to the majority of the support.

fair play to you... would have been easier to take the piss like i did.

Wasted your time if its a wind-up though  :razz:

Guest Sniffer

OK. I agree that SA did a good job to take BW from wherever they were to the premier league and eufa cup football. Playing a brand of football that didn't exactly fill the stands. On a relatively low budget compared to what he has with us now. My concern is that AS is too caught up in the technical side of things and shopping in the blue collar area to recognise that you need class to compete over a season. Buying six players at 2 mill ...all big strapping lads some of them pushing 30....may turn us into a team that can compete with the likes of blackburn but won't get us into the top four. That would be success at Bolton but I don't see it as success at Newcastle.

I also agree that it's early days for AS to mould a team but IMO, we need are crying out for a creative midfield player as much as a RB and more than another bruiser to play defensive midfield.

The players are in the main better than who we have let go. The killer for us supporters/Sam/Ashley will be the 4-3-3 in which none of our present front 4 would choose or want to play in.

It showed v Villa and 2nd half at Bolton it is a fucking negative boring style of play.

Guest firetotheworks

Is this thread a joke? Some people need to take a look at whats happened since we lost at home to blackburn last season and then get a fucking grip. We've got everything we've asked for and we've played 2 games and are unbeaten, yet STILL some people are finding things to moan about. Oh aye, and souness spent 50million, won the title didnt we?

Planning?

Guest elbee909

Which big money buys would want to come to Newcastle though? No Europeon football to offer the big names and considering that I think we've done a fine job recruiting this summer.

But, but... 'no-one's particularly world class'!

I think the original poster is someone who's winding himself up and doesn't even know it.

We have failed to expand the squad to any significant extent so far, which was a priority coming off the back of 2 injury plagued seasons.

I cannot see any reason why this point (a squad that may still struggle to achieve Europe simply through very little depth in quality) that BB seems to be putting forward gets people in such a tizzy. Seems less an attack the clubs long term plans, and rather a pretty valid concern regarding the current season to me.

Feel free just to call for his banning though. :frantic:

Guest elbee909

We have failed to expand the squad to any significant extent so far, which was a priority coming off the back of 2 injury plagued seasons.

I cannot see any reason why this point (a squad that may still struggle to achieve Europe simply through very little depth in quality) that BB seems to be putting forward gets people in such a tizzy. Seems less an attack the clubs long term plans, and rather a pretty valid concern regarding the current season to me.

Fair enough if we hadn't have needed a clear-out, but we did.  The improvements are better than what we had.  We've probably had more transfer activity in terms of sheer numbers than any pre-season for a long time.  Still, a wasted season...

Fair enough if we hadn't have needed a clear-out, but we did.  The improvements are better than what we had.  We've probably had more transfer activity in terms of sheer numbers than any pre-season for a long time.  Still, a wasted season...

Well, of course it isn't a wasted season....yet. Many on here said that despite Souness' shortcomings he would move the club forward by sorting out the players and get proper players in to replace them. I would argue that the Souness years were a waste. Some said Roeder would at the very least bring stability to the club. I would argue that the time under Roeder was a waste.

If we get through the transition, build, play decent football, and don't start the proccess all over again next year by sacking Sam, then despite not winning something, you would still hope that the season wasn't a waste but there are ultimately to many unknowns there. All BB is arguing is that in terms of tangible benifits this season (Euro qualification or trophies), he feels we are not strong enough to compete and he finds that frustrating considering the new regime.

I'm not going to hammer him just for thinking that.

Is this thread a joke? Some people need to take a look at whats happened since we lost at home to blackburn last season and then get a f****** grip. We've got everything we've asked for and we've played 2 games and are unbeaten, yet STILL some people are finding things to moan about. Oh aye, and souness spent 50million, won the title didnt we?

was that a dig at me? cos i was taking the piss mate...