The 'daft footballers who can't talk properly' thread

brummie

It has always really, really annoyed me when football managers, whilst talking about the game, refer to "the football club" rather than "the club", in some kind of misguided attempt to appear deep and intelligent.

Example usage: "I want players here who want to play for the football club". Like we didn't know what kind of club they meant ....

I always considered Stuart Pearce to be the worst (although both MON and SA are occasional offenders), but today I've seen two interviews with Sammy 'Championship' Lee, where he uses the term about 12 times.

Is he the least intelligent manager in the league?

It has always really, really annoyed me when football managers, whilst talking about the game, refer to "the football club" rather than "the club", in some kind of misguided attempt to appear deep and intelligent.

Example usage: "I want players here who want to play for the football club". Like we didn't know what kind of club they meant ....

I always considered Stuart Pearce to be the worst (although both MON and SA are occasional offenders), but today I've seen two interviews with Sammy 'Championship' Lee, where he uses the term about 12 times.

Championship? Ye having a bubble bath surely? League One is above him.  :laugh:

I think Nolan said he had no idea whatsoever as to what he was meant to be doing on the pitch these days. Or something like that.

Bolton = doomed.

:yikes:

Fuking hell, thats a bad a slur as you can get.

Gartside showing his quality in this appointment.

Oh, I also hate the bizarre tense misusage footballers engage in (Alan Shearer was probably the worst ever for this).

Like this:

Pundit: "So, Alan, talk us through the goal"/

Shearer: "Well, I've looked up, and I've seen him making a run on the wing, so I've found myself a bit of space, he's put the ball in the box, and I've just got a touch on it"

STOP USING THE PRESENT PERFECT TENSE ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

PS Alan, shave that unconvincing hair island off, ffs.

Guest elbee909

Oh, I also hate the bizarre tense misusage footballers engage in (Alan Shearer was probably the worst ever for this).

Like this:

Shearer: "Well, I've looked up, and I've seen him making a run on the wing, so I've found myself a bit of space, he's put the ball in the box, and I've just got a touch on it"

It's mostly because they're in the strange position of commenting on their own actions that they're seeing replayed.

Like this:

It's mostly because they're in the strange position of commenting on their own actions that they're seeing replayed.

"I looked up, I saw him make a run on the wing, I found myself a bit of space ...". Not difficult.

Guest firetotheworks

'for sure' by a host of foreign managers gets me.

Aye Benitez and Jol do that a canny bit but interviews with managers and players after matches are always shite unless its a player who doesnt come out with every cliche in the book. The only ones Ive found are David Bentley, Henry, Joey Barton, Gordon Strachan aaaaaaand, perhaps Carragher on that radio interview. Thought he put his points across really well. Talking about yourself in third person reeks of self pedestal perching. 

It's actually subliminal identification. It's a defence mechanism that shows a sign of anxiety. ie Look I'm talking about 'the football club'...I'm not here don't look at me or blame me....etc...

It's actually subliminal identification. It's a defence mechanism that shows a sign of anxiety. ie Look I'm talking about 'the football club'...I'm not here don't look at me or blame me....etc...

but he was talking about the club,is he supposed to talk about it without mentioning it ?

I despise the way Jon Motson commentates on England games nowadays; i swear he's going senile. Whenever he or Lawrenson, sort of - figure something out...

... like for instance last night, when Wes Brown came on for Ferdinand, it being a bit of an odd or pointless sub, they realised that Brown was gonna go wide right so that Richards could come into the centre...

... Motson talks with this patronising, "ah yes of course" tone that Sherlock would have used, as if he's just worked out this mammoth equation or mystery.

Difficult to explain but it boils my piss either way.

Guest firetotheworks

I despise the way Jon Motson commentates on England games nowadays; i swear he's going senile. Whenever he or Lawrenson, sort of - figure something out...

... like for instance last night, when Wes Brown came on for Ferdinand, it being a bit of an odd or pointless sub, they realised that Brown was gonna go wide right so that Richards could come into the centre...

... Motson talks with this patronising, "ah yes of course" tone that Sherlock would have used, as if he's just worked out this mammoth equation or mystery.

Difficult to explain but it boils my piss either way.

I know what you mean, he's very descriptive, but maybe 2 minutes after everyone watching has realised for themselves. Motson always pronounces players names different to the way most people do aswell. Deedyay Drogbar for example. Im sure there's more. Jonathan Pearce pronouncing Luis Garcia as Luis Garthia as well.