Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

can't believe so many people are latching onto this cliche [crap] about bringing in youth on the cheap, in the hope that the best youngsters will somehow choose us before the top sides, laughable in itself, but its compounded by the fact that when we find a decent defender of our own, they slate him to death.

There's nowt wrong with Taylor that moving into a better team with better players won't improve, and that may not be Newcastle the way we are going.

Those young players we have just now must be some prospects ........

How come Bassong (you know, him who cost fuck all) has come in alongside Coloccini and instantly looked better than Taylor then?

Btw it's fucking laughable that you can't help yourself but implicitly bring the new/old board shite into what is a pretty basic discussion about whether one of our players (who was here before any of us had even heard of Mike Ashley) is good enough or not.

He's average at best.

I don't see a problem with having 3 good central defenders at the club. Thats what we have, and I must admit I don't think Colocinni is as good as I thought he was but having said that neither is Taylor the complete package either. What he IS, is still young, who would benefit massively from playing in a better side more often. Same as Zoggy really.

My comment about the youth policy is justified. People are spouting this cliche about it being the way to go etc. but its bollocks. There is absolutely no guarantee they wouldn't go this way, get relegated, and find the bright new kids are no better than the ones we have always produced ie only one or two make the grade even as decent premiership players, or even turn out to be as shit as a player who has captained the England under 21 team.

My issue with that is the huge amount of football he's played in the Premiership, without showing any discernible signs of learning or improvement. I don't think he's completely useless, but I wouldn't want him to be a regular for us any time in the near future.

can't believe so many people are latching onto this cliche [crap] about bringing in youth on the cheap, in the hope that the best youngsters will somehow choose us before the top sides, laughable in itself, but its compounded by the fact that when we find a decent defender of our own, they slate him to death.

There's nowt wrong with Taylor that moving into a better team with better players won't improve, and that may not be Newcastle the way we are going.

Those young players we have just now must be some prospects ........

How come Bassong (you know, him who cost fuck all) has come in alongside Coloccini and instantly looked better than Taylor then?

Btw it's fucking laughable that you can't help yourself but implicitly bring the new/old board shite into what is a pretty basic discussion about whether one of our players (who was here before any of us had even heard of Mike Ashley) is good enough or not.

He's average at best.

I don't see a problem with having 3 good central defenders at the club. Thats what we have, and I must admit I don't think Colocinni is as good as I thought he was but having said that neither is Taylor the complete package either. What he IS, is still young, who would benefit massively from playing in a better side more often. Same as Zoggy really.

My comment about the youth policy is justified. People are spouting this cliche about it being the way to go etc. but its bollocks. There is absolutely no guarantee they wouldn't go this way, get relegated, and find the bright new kids are no better than the ones we have always produced ie only one or two make the grade even as decent premiership players, or even turn out to be as shit as a player who has captained the England under 21 team.

My issue with that is the huge amount of football he's played in the Premiership, without showing any discernible signs of learning or improvement. I don't think he's completely useless, but I wouldn't want him to be a regular for us any time in the near future.

every player with ability, at whatever position, only reaches his limit when he plays with better players in better teams. Players like Steve Howey, Steve Watson and Lee Clark played the best football of their careers here at Newcastle in the Keegan era and the aftermath of it. Its because they are in a better team, they develop more confidence, a winning habit and mentality and more authority in their game. They all went backwards when they left. Taylor and zoggy are the same. They both have a lot more than they have shown us but will only step up when they play for better teams.

Taylor is rash at times, but in his case, its his judgement and composure which would improve, as a defender. He's got the physical attributes and determination that he needs.

Guest Heneage

Taylor was raised up here.

Sorry ignore whether he is good or not to have a go at him claiming he plays the crowd is a joke. To play for Newcastle would give any fan a tremendous amount of pride, so the fact he savours every game is in noway him playing the crowd, hes just loving it.

So you don't think stupidly risking a red card to foul Reina was playing up to the crowd? It was pure idiocy from where I was sitting.

I love this about you. You read what I say and just put whatever you fancy so i'll try it.

So you think Asprilla signing didn't disrupt the squad?

But seriously, if he did that fine but when it comes to encouraging the crowd fist pumping itsp robably because he's jus loving playing for the club, I'm not talking about his performances in any context, I'm simply discussing his supposed playing to the crowd.

Sorry ignore whether he is good or not to have a go at him claiming he plays the crowd is a joke. To play for Newcastle would give any fan a tremendous amount of pride, so the fact he savours every game is in noway him playing the crowd, hes just loving it.

So you don't think stupidly risking a red card to foul Reina was playing up to the crowd? It was pure idiocy from where I was sitting.

I love this about you. You read what I say and just put whatever you fancy so i'll try it.

But seriously, if he did that fine but when it comes to encouraging the crowd fist pumping itsp robably because he's jus loving playing for the club , I'm not talking about his performances in any context, I'm simply discussing his supposed playing to the crowd.

yep I agree with this, and I'd take it any day rather than someone who doesn't particularly want to play etc etc, and we've had more than enough of those, and still have some. I wish Ameobi would start getting stuck in ........

I think Bassong's performances have just highlight how shit Taylor really is.

He's younger than Taylor and has played less professional games in a weaker league yet he's come here and been head and shoulders above him in every aspect of his game, for a player (Taylor) who's 23 in a few weeks that has made over 100 appearances for the club since making his debut nearly 5 years ago he's fucking rubbish.

Guest Heneage

But seriously, if he did that fine but when it comes to encouraging the crowd fist pumping itsp robably because he's jus loving playing for the club , I'm not talking about his performances in any context, I'm simply discussing his supposed playing to the crowd.

yep I agree with this, and I'd take it any day rather than someone who doesn't particularly want to play etc etc, and we've had more than enough of those, and still have some. I wish Ameobi would start getting stuck in ........

I'm not saying the lad should start I prefer Bassong, but people slating him for showing passion is lunacy, how can you be-moan players like Duff for hsowing no passion and in the same instance claim Taylor, a local lad of sorts for showing fake passion.

I'm not saying the lad should start I prefer Bassong, but people slating him for showing passion is lunacy, how can you be-moan players like Duff for hsowing no passion and in the same instance claim Taylor, a local lad of sorts for showing fake passion.

Yep, I completely agree.

Some people actually preferred Cacapa  mackems.gif

Guest Brazilianbob

He was born in London and then brought up to Newcastle as a baby, something other people (and he) gloss over when describing him as a 'local lad, born and bred' etc.

He isn't 'still young' ffs. He's had plenty of Premiership (and European) experience aqnd he's showing himself as simply not good enough.

And here is proof:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2176/frankentaylscopy2eo3.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/frankentaylscopy2eo3.jpg/1/w320.png

He was actually born in Greenwich, London to geordie parents, and then they returned to Newcastle where he was brought up.  I think that pretty much makes him as much a local lad as most don't you think!

Yep, I completely agree.

To be fair, I remember quite a few people saying, "all Taylor needs is a good partner" in comparison with Boumsong, Bramble, O'Brien, Elliott, Moore, etc. who he's played alongside over the past few seasons, well now there's two better centre-backs than him to play alongside and he's still no better.

Yep, I completely agree.

To be fair, I remember quite a few people saying, "all Taylor needs is a good partner" in comparison with Boumsong, Bramble, O'Brien, Elliott, Moore, etc. who he's played alongside over the past few seasons, well now there's two better centre-backs than him to play alongside and he's still no better.

We are still essentially a team playing back to front though ie under pressure due to lack of quality up front and in midfield. Thats why we are struggling, and unfortunately these players cost more money than defenders.

Yep, I completely agree.

Faye and Cacapa looked very good in the spell they had together tbh. In that period where Keegan had just come in, Cacapa saved our skins on a few occassions. Almost single-handedly prevented a loss at home to Boro. Was a bit of a joke that Taylor kept his place, and Claudio didn't, when Faye came back from the ACN, as far as gaining a place on merit goes. Fortunately, they managed to forge a capable enough partnership together with a decent run.

Guest firetotheworks

Yep, I completely agree.

We are still essentially a team playing back to front though ie under pressure due to lack of quality up front and in midfield. Thats why we are struggling, and unfortunately these players cost more money than defenders.

Then how come Bassong coped alright alongside this lack of quality up front and in midfield?

Yep, I completely agree.

Then how come Bassong coped alright alongside this lack of quality up front and in midfield?

eer........welll..........there must be some reason why we are down near the bottom of the league and in a crisis, or a sort of crisis, unless you think because we have Bassong it cures all the huge weaknesses in the rest of the team.........

Do you think when Bassong comes back we are going to race up the league or something  :coolsmiley:

Yep, I completely agree.

Faye and Cacapa looked very good in the spell they had together tbh. In that period where Keegan had just come in, Cacapa saved our skins on a few occassions. Almost single-handedly prevented a loss at home to Boro. Was a bit of a joke that Taylor kept his place, and Claudio didn't, when Faye came back from the ACN, as far as gaining a place on merit goes. Fortunately, they managed to forge a capable enough partnership together with a decent run.

are you Yorkie-Geordie ?

Cacapa is rubbish by the way. The stick that Taylor gets should be hurled at him for truly gutless and awful performances. I think Taylor has more in him and will show it if he moves on or we improve ie if he doesn't allow his career to stagnate by continuing to play for an aimless club going nowhere with a shite owner who is happy with premiership survival and that is all.

Guest firetotheworks

Yep, I completely agree.

eer........welll..........there must be some reason why we are down near the bottom of the league and in a crisis, or a sort of crisis, unless you think because we have Bassong it cures all the huge weaknesses in the rest of the team.........

Do you think when Bassong comes back we are going to race up the league or something  :coolsmiley:

Nope, taking that from what I said takes some imagination so well done on that. Im saying that Bassong coped better than Taylor, keeping more clean sheets and playing better alongside this team that you seem to think would make Taylor magically become a better player EDIT If it had better players.

Yep, I completely agree.

We're 14th at the moment. Not too dissimilar from our positions at the end of the 97/98, 98/99, 04/05, 06/07 and 07/08 seasons.

Gosh, who would have thought we spent all those seasons in "a sort of crisis"?

Yep, I completely agree.

Nope, taking that from what I said takes some imagination so well done on that. Im saying that Bassong coped better than Taylor, keeping more clean sheets and playing better alongside this team that you seem to think would make Taylor magically become a better player EDIT If it had better players.

Well. We will see. And for the record, you won't find me saying that Bassong isn't better than Taylor. Only that Taylor is a lot better than the flak he is getting on here suggests. As I said earlier, I hope, in view of the flak that Taylor is getting, that Ashleys grand plan works and he succeeds in getting better players than Taylor through the door. Or Tozer goes on to captain the England under 21 team. Somehow, in a few years down the line, I think most people will have forgotten all about this rubbish. The same as they have forgotten how they said Ameobi would fill Shearers boots. Maybe we will produce enough good players to get promoted without spending too much money, if the lack of ambition shown to the first team ends up in relegation.

Yep, I completely agree.

We're 14th at the moment. Not too dissimilar from our positions at the end of the 97/98, 98/99, 04/05, 06/07 and 07/08 seasons.

Gosh, who would have thought we spent all those seasons in "a sort of crisis"?

You're happy with 14th ?

In fact, you were happy when we were 14th under Souness too. Soopa Mike seems happy with 14th too, he thinks he is running the club well, if his recent comments are a guide.

Not good enough for me I'm afraid. Lets hope it isn't good enough for Ashley and he attempts to get back into europe, just like the last board did. I have a feeling that his motivation will come from the threat of relegation rather than the urge to be successful.

Guest firetotheworks

Yep, I completely agree.

Well. We will see. And for the record, you won't find me saying that Bassong isn't better than Taylor. Only that Taylor is a lot better than the flak he is getting on here suggests. As I said earlier, I hope, in view of the flak that Taylor is getting, that Ashleys grand plan works and he succeeds in getting better players than Taylor through the door. Or Tozer goes on to captain the England under 21 team. Somehow, in a few years down the line, I think most people will have forgotten all about this rubbish. Maybe we will produce enough good players to get promoted without spending too much money, if the lack of ambition shown to the first team ends up in relegation.

Youre right, some do go overboard. I certainly dont think he'd league one standard, but I also dont think he has shown any improvement since his debut and think the youth argument would only be relevent if we were talking about Taylor being in the same position as Edgar, a player with not that many games to his name. Taylor is fairly young but has plenty of Premiership experience. Personally I think you learn through experience, and not through time. On both accounts I think he's had enough experience and enough time to show what he can do. He still makes daft mistakes and his Hollywood tackling is something that he still hasn't changed. He cuts that out and starts playing with his head and he'll be alright. But, and you can hold me to this I dont see it happening.