Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

Taylor to centre back is what Martins is to centre forward, has all the attributes but minus the brains. Needs to decide what type of defender he is, he's a bt of an in between defender, neither a sweeper nor a "bruiser" would get dominated physically by the likes of Drogba,but would get turned inside out by the likes of Berbatov or Rooney. Copes well against the middle of the road strikers. Unfortunatley i dont think he has the physical stregnth to dominate defenders like Faye would.

Taylor to centre back is what Martins is to centre forward, has all the attributes but minus the brains. Needs to decide what type of defender he is, he's a bt of an in between defender, neither a sweeper nor a "bruiser" would get dominated physically by the likes of Drogba,but would get turned inside out by the likes of Berbatov or Rooney. Copes well against the middle of the road strikers. Unfortunatley i dont think he has the physical stregnth to dominate defenders like Faye would.

Got to disagree there. Neither of them have 'all the attributes'. Even minus the footballing brain.

As some people have pointed out, Taylor would have benefited from playing alongside someone like Woodgate instead of Moore, Boumsong, Bramble, Rozehnal, O'Brien and the other shit defenders that have been at this club since his breakthrough.

I can't think of any particular games when Taylor has messed up as bad as Bramble or Boumsong used to do, and he's also one of the few players in todays squad that actually gives 100% in every game, something that we'll desperatley need in the last 12 games this season. How often do we have the captain of the England U21's coming through our ranks? Don't see any reason to get on his back whatsoever.

It's a cop out btw everyone saying it's the players around Taylor, that's why he hasn't developed like he should have. I'm sick of hearing that, no offence to you Skärare. Basically saying it takes someone else to make him look good.

While I agree with the first point to a degree, all of those others mentioned would have benefitted from playing alongside Woodgate instead of Taylor too. It works both ways.

Terry was average at 22.

And was keeping a regular place in the England team.

I think you're getting desperate now if you're using that to defend Taylor tbh.

Really?  England regular? I was under the impression he only made his debut shortly before turning 23. 

I wasn't using it to defend Taylor as such, more to prove that defenders haven't finished improving at 22.

I like Taylor. I really think he can become a really good player (although he clearly has faults now), given the right players around him.

Faye hasn't been as rock solid as some on here woudl like to portray (typical NUFC fans attitude to new players), but he's a good player by all accounts, and mayeb he and Taylor can flourish together.

Simply put - none of our defenders, especially the centre backs - are going to be as good as they can be until the whole back four is settled.

It's a cop out btw everyone saying it's the players around Taylor, that's why he hasn't developed like he should have. I'm sick of hearing that, no offence to you Skärare. Basically saying it takes someone else to make him look good.

Well of course, I'm not saying that's the only reason, but it hasn't been very benefitial for his development to play in one of the worst defences in the league during his first few seasons in the Premiership, has it? But then again, there are obviously many examples of defenders that have played in poor defensive units and still developed better that Taylor.

My point was that there's no reason to get on his back when we have much bigger problems to deal with than one players development..is it?

Central defenders need to develop a partnership just as the strikers in a 4-4-2 formation have to.  As a young CB coming into the team, Taylor could have hoped to develop the partnership with an established member of the team, but he hasn't had that, he's had Bramble, Boumsong et al.  Instead of learning from an experienced CB, he became the post that his defensive partner could lean on.  Taylor has improved since he first came into the first team but by no means as much as if he had been partnering Scumball in the heart of defence.  Not signing him and allowing him to join him to join Pompey was a pivotal moment for Taylor, Roeder and Newcastle (imho).

Central defenders need to develop a partnership just as the strikers in a 4-4-2 formation have to.  As a young CB coming into the team, Taylor could have hoped to develop the partnership with an established member of the team, but he hasn't had that, he's had Bramble, Boumsong et al.  Instead of learning from an experienced CB, he became the post that his defensive partner could lean on.  Taylor has improved since he first came into the first team but by no means as much as if he had been partnering Scumball in the heart of defence.  Not signing him and allowing him to join him to join Pompey was a pivotal moment for Taylor, Roeder and Newcastle (imho).

100% agreed.

Guest MaetihS

No more than a average player (but vastly overrated) but then again, we are no more than a very average club. if we are in the top 6, will scream for him to be sold, but since we are in this position, may as well support him regardless how painful to watch his often crap displays; beggars cant be choosers. Also, saying he plays poorly alongside poorer players is just plain stupid; why have not pple think that his senseless positioning and such probably adds more pressure to his partner thus make them look bad. funny supposedly poorer players like obrien, boumsong and even Roz seem to be playing well for their new clubs. Obrien esp was immense in Europe. Guess we just hve to hope he can improve quickly and not become the defender version of Shola; i am sticking with him for now because do not think we can attract much better defenders in the near future considering our current plight. we have to face the reality and dreams of getting world class or even good players in the summer need to be dashed and face the reality and just focus on getting the best of our lot by supporting these players and just hope we can buy an unkonwn gem of a player in the summer. i know it is hard supporting player of such quality but no choice, they are our club. i now know how hard it is to be a Mackem, supporting crap players week in week out.

I'm not looking for perfection from Taylor, not at all, so all of this talk about his partners making him look poor is pointless. No defender is perfect, and most make mistakes every now and then, never mind young ones. This isn't about being error prone or looking bad.

The thing is that I don't see any impressive attributes when I look at Taylor. He looks the part but it doesn't translate onto the pitch.

He's no slouch, but isn't really that fast either, which is made worse by the fact that he doesn't take up the best positions to begin with and so is easily caught out.

He's tall and has a good build, but he doesn't play strong because his balance is so poor. He plays too upright and so it is easy to body him off the ball.

He's good in the air if the ball comes straight to him and he isn't really contested. If he has to jostle for position though, his lack of strength/balance lets him down.

He does look like he has a good tackle but again, he isn't usually in a good enough position to utilize it effectively.

Taylor also has this weird habit of having his hands too high up when he is trying to stay in front of his defender, which is very odd and quite dangerous, particularly in and around the penalty area.

This is the Steven Taylor i see whenever I watch him, and therefore I don't think he is good enough, neither am I confident that he will ever be. When I watch the likes of Onuoha, Curtis Davies, Wheater and even Gary Cahill I certainly don't see a finished product or a perfect player by any means, but I see a hell of a lot more promise and genuine abilities.

Sorry if this offends anyone but that is hoenstly how I feel.

Everytime this comes up, his supporters say he is only young and he has never had a decent partner etc How about telling us about what it is you see him do on the pitch that excites you? I just don't see any outstanding qualities he posesses.

Got to disagree there. Neither of them have 'all the attributes'. Even minus the footballing brain.

the brain can be attributed to alot of qualities,a lot of qualities which both players lack in my opinion, like anticipation, and movement, both cognitive function. As a defender i think taylor is strong, quick, good in the air, if he put it all together i think he could be an excellent defender, same with Martins, pace, strenfgth, decent in the air, is an ok fininsher. All the qualities but minus the brain to bring in together.

Guest MaetihS

In any case, David Wheater looks more like a better defender than Taylor. Bet that he will earn international recognition faster than Taylor assuming that Taylor can actually develop into an international player.

Made a pig's arse of himself with Torres's third. Looked more like Bramble than Bramble himself.

Getting a lot of recognition for his attacking ability rather than his defending. Good passer (or lucky long baller) and good at set pieces, i think though Taylor is by far a superior defender, far more intelligent, and thats saying something!

I'm not looking for perfection from Taylor, not at all, so all of this talk about his partners making him look poor is pointless. No defender is perfect, and most make mistakes every now and then, never mind young ones. This isn't about being error prone or looking bad.

The thing is that I don't see any impressive attributes when I look at Taylor. He looks the part but it doesn't translate onto the pitch.

He's no slouch, but isn't really that fast either, which is made worse by the fact that he doesn't take up the best positions to begin with and so is easily caught out.

He's tall and has a good build, but he doesn't play strong because his balance is so poor. He plays too upright and so it is easy to body him off the ball.

He's good in the air if the ball comes straight to him and he isn't really contested. If he has to jostle for position though, his lack of strength/balance lets him down.

He does look like he has a good tackle but again, he isn't usually in a good enough position to utilize it effectively.

Taylor also has this weird habit of having his hands too high up when he is trying to stay in front of his defender, which is very odd and quite dangerous, particularly in and around the penalty area.

This is the Steven Taylor i see whenever I watch him, and therefore I don't think he is good enough, neither am I confident that he will ever be. When I watch the likes of Onuoha, Curtis Davies, Wheater and even Gary Cahill I certainly don't see a finished product or a perfect player by any means, but I see a hell of a lot more promise and genuine abilities.

Everytime this comes up, his supporters say he is only young and he has never had a decent partner etc How about telling us about what it is you see him do on the pitch that excites you? I just don't see any outstanding qualities he posesses.

spot on tbh. he's like Jordan, all chest and no brains.

possibly the worst game of his career today.

I don't think he was that bad? Certainly at fault for their third, with a half-hearted lunge and then slipping. Other than that I think other parts of the team failed long before the ball ever made its way to our defence. Then again, I might've not paid enough attention, as it was too painful to watch at times..