Favourite match

Yorkie

I haven't seen many great matches personally. Not at the time, anyway. I've seen various videos.

Probably lump for Newcastle 2-1 Chelsea. ???

Which one, out of interest?  The one with Shearer's belter as opposed to the one with Hasselbaink's world class own goal?

Personally I'd go for the 7-1 against the pretentious twats in 96.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Showing my age here but my favourite game is West Brom away in the cup run of 1974.  Memories are a bit vague as I was only a kid but I know we played really well but it was the atmosphere of that day that I have never forgotten.  I was with my Dad and I remember that even he got carried away with the emotion of it all.  There must have been 20,000+ Geordies in the ground - they seemed to be everywhere.  Match of the Day made a big fuss about our support and closed the programme with the scenes from the terraces.

Yeah that was a special game, probably only time I ever thought Jinky Smith was really effective. He only got a game as Terry Hibbitt went off injured I believe.

The game Yorkie-Geordie is thinking about was the Bolton cup game in 76.

personal fave must have been the semi final against Burnley at Hillsborough but many stood out in those days as the atmosphere was much better than now as you had most folk standing. And well packed together too.

Showing my age here but my favourite game is West Brom away in the cup run of 1974.  Memories are a bit vague as I was only a kid but I know we played really well but it was the atmosphere of that day that I have never forgotten.  I was with my Dad and I remember that even he got carried away with the emotion of it all.  There must have been 20,000+ Geordies in the ground - they seemed to be everywhere.  Match of the Day made a big fuss about our support and closed the programme with the scenes from the terraces.

Yeah that was a special game, probably only time I ever thought Jinky Smith was really effective. He only got a game as Terry Hibbitt went off injured I believe.

The game Yorkie-Geordie is thinking about was the Bolton cup game in 76.

personal fave must have been the semi final against Burnley at Hillsborough but many stood out in those days as the atmosphere was much better than now as you had most folk standing. And well packed together too.

Yes, remember all these well - the atmosphere at Hillsborough for the 74 semi with Burnley was incredible.

Also, the 4-3 win against Derby Co(who were chasing the title that year)end/Jan 76 was amazing - we were on the way to Wembley after beating Spurs 3-1 at SJP in LC semi and the team had started scoring for fun - we got into a 3-1 lead through a Tommy Craig Pen, then they came back & equalised with about 5 mins to go.We thought it was over, but no - we got a corner in the last minute, and Supermac beat their offside attempt to score with a header. There was nearly 50,000 in and we all went berserk(no seats exec

West Stand in those days) .We were still jumping like dervishes when the ref blew for time.

Charlie George(formerly Arsenal)was playing for Derby, and I'll never forget the look on his face at the end!

5-0 Man U

3-2 Feyenoord

3-2 Barcelona

4-3 Leicester

4-3 Liverpool (The first one, and only in hindsight. I usually turn the video off at 3-3)

3-3 Liverpool AC Milan

I still need time to recover if that match pops up on the tv. It's impossible to watch anything after 3-3. One of the worst feelings I've ever felt was just switching channels and seeing the match was on, it was 3-3, but I couldn't change the channel. There's some twisted attraction to watching that 4th goal and feeling like shit all over again. Probably my most hated game because most of my mates are Liverpool fans as well.

Manchester City 5-2 Spurs (1994)

Other favourites:

Spurs 3-4 Manchester City (2004)

Gillingham 2-2 Manchester City (1999)

Manchester City 3-1 Manchester United (2002)

Manchester City 4-1 Manchester United (2004)

Manchester City 6-2 Bolton (2003)

Blackburn 1-4 Manchester City (2000)

Ipswich 1-4 Manchester City (2002)

Non City:

Germany 1-5 England

Newcastle 5-0 Manchester United

Manchester United 1-3 Real Madrid

And every other game that lot got dicked. Especially in Europe. :giggle:

3-0 West Ham (The one after we outplayed manu at SJP to get beat by cantona 1-0)

5-0 Manure

7-1 Spurs

Drogba 2 Newcastle 0 - Marseille away (First euro away game, and thought Drogba was immense)

3-2 Mackems, emres free kick

1-4 Mackems, especially because we were 1-0 down at half time and they were loving it.

45 Minutes into AZ Alkmaar

I haven't seen many great matches personally. Not at the time, anyway. I've seen various videos.

Probably lump for Newcastle 2-1 Chelsea. ???

Which one, out of interest?  The one with Shearer's belter as opposed to the one with Hasselbaink's world class own goal?

Personally I'd go for the 7-1 against the pretentious twats in 96.

The Shearer one. My favourite ever goal. :D

Mackems 1 Newcastle 4 at the Stadium of Shite. Reasons: it was the most exciting match i've ever attended, it was my 21st birthday, and the looks on their faces when they realised they'd thrown away their half time lead were pure gold, it was also shearers last ever game and goal for us, which in itself was sad as it would've been good for him to play out the season, but it just that felt that extra bit better that his last was against the old enemy.

Guest Craig1892

Carlisle United Home 1984 - Won 5-1 - First game, noise coming from all over ST James was awesome.

Hull City Away - 1989 - Won 3-1 - First away game, class day out thanks to Anderson, Mcghee and Brasil.

Portsmouth Home 1992 - Won 1-0 - Never known noise like it, David Kelly = Hero.

Barcelona Home 1997 - Won 3-2 - What a fucking game.

Games that I've been to ;

Newcastle 5 Man City 0 in 1983 - 3 from Beardsley with one each from Keegan and Waddle IIRC

Newcastle 2 Man United 1 in 1987 - on the day of my 14th birthtday. Must have been around 36000 inside the ground, with 10-15000 locked out. Lads sitting in the trees at the Leazes End, and also on top of the roof of the University dorms. Paul Goddard scored the winner at the Gallowgate End - and we were playing with 10 men too.

Newcastle 5 Leicester 4 in 1990 - 4-2 down with 13mins to go. Enter Quinn, John Galllagher to tie it to 4-4 and then Mark McGhee scored the winner in the last minute. Cue bedlam in the Scoreboard where we were !

Newcastle 1 Portsmouth 0 in 1992 - David Kelly - enough said.

Guest Mucky01

Games that I've been to ;

Newcastle 5 Man City 0 in 1983 - 3 from Beardsley with one each from Keegan and Waddle IIRC

Newcastle 2 Man United 1 in 1987 - on the day of my 14th birthtday. Must have been around 36000 inside the ground, with 10-15000 locked out. Lads sitting in the trees at the Leazes End, and also on top of the roof of the University dorms. Paul Goddard scored the winner at the Gallowgate End - and we were playing with 10 men too.

Newcastle 5 Leicester 4 in 1990 - 4-2 down with 13mins to go. Enter Quinn, John Galllagher to tie it to 4-4 and then Mark McGhee scored the winner in the last minute. Cue bedlam in the Scoreboard where we were !

Newcastle 1 Portsmouth 0 in 1992 - David Kelly - enough said.

that Leicester game is my favourite too - theres something about a comeback that sends you mental. We were under the scoreboard as well - seemed like the whole Gallowgate End stayed back 10mins as noone could stop going bonkers !!!  As I remember it was Roy Aitkens (he was always absolute shite) first game and Leicester had a young Kevin Campbell on loan from Arsenal who was the best player on the pitch.

Live and in person, the second 4-3 at Anfield where we were 3 down, came back to level then lost it at the death.

At St. James' Park, either the 0-0 with Villa a few weeks back or the 2-1 loss to Fulham last year. And I've been to others... :lol:

On TV, the 5-0 no doubt.