Do we have a key player? Do we need to get one?

Parky

You can look at other sides and say yes they need Gerrard or Fabregas or with ManU I guess it would be Cristiano etc..Even if we come down the league a little we can say Arteta for Everton or Berbatov for Spurs...

We don't seem to have this standout player..Geremi has a steady game and then a poor one Roze it's too early to say..Martins the same with reg to in and out games. At the moment Zoggy seems to playing well most of the time..

Where/Who is this player?

**Don't take the easy option and say Given when he is fit...I mean an outfield player.

Difficult to say with so many new arrivals and so few games played. Rozenhal looks good so far. It could turn out to be Barton imo. I also think we miss N'Zogbia in midfield as he is the only one who gives us that creative spark.

Difficult to say with so many new arrivals and so few games played. Rozenhal looks good so far. It could turn out to be Barton imo. I also think we miss N'Zogbia in midfield as he is the only one who gives us that creative spark.

Ah Joey Barton. Good point. He is certainly industrious and has it in the locker to become a key player.

But I'm a little concerned we look so workmanlike.

Don't want to depend to much on one single player either..We don't need one as long as the squad is getting results on board.

That's the point we don't have that player that does it week in week out imo. The side lacks that spark.

Ah Joey Barton. Good point. He is certainly industrious and has it in the locker to become a key player.

But I'm a little concerned we look so workmanlike.

That's the problem but I think N'Zogbia should give balance on the left when Enrique comes into the side (he could be key too). As this thread shows though, no one individual stands out. I think if Allardyce can keep us tight at the back and we can score a few more when everyone is fit (including Owen) then we may see some genuine flair introduced next January or (more likely) next summer.

We do need a Gerrard or Lampard type player not just a goal scorer from midfield but a player that stands out above the rest, creates things, works hard from start to finish of every game. Maybe Sam thinks Barton can be that player.

We do need a Gerrard or Lampard type player not just a goal scorer from midfield but a player that stands out above the rest, creates things, works hard from start to finish of every game. Maybe Sam thinks Barton can be that player.

He'd be wrong then.

He's a decent player but he's nowhere near the level of someone like Arteta or Berbatov.

A play maker with blistering pace is what we are lacking. 

We should never have sold Dyer.

The first bit I agree with, the second bit not so much!  ;D

I assumed he was taking the piss.

We don't have one but I definitely think we need one.

People can come out with this crap that one man doesn't make a team etc. but at the end of the day, we need someone to build a team around, someone we can rely upon no matter what, like Fabregas at Arsenal and Gerrard at Liverpool.

If he's available and we can, I'd definitely push for Deco, no matter what it takes. If he'll come then why not?

Guest jimmy1982

I agree that we haven't got one. I really hope Barton turns out to be ours - it is there for him if he wants it and if he can stay fit.

A key player doesn't have to be a classic number 10 like they play in Argentina, but I'd love to see us play with a system like that, with everything going thorugh a skillster like Riquelme, but the premier league style of football probably doesn't allow it. Berbatov is probably the closest there is to that kind of player in England, but he plays a bit further forward and tends to finish moves off by shooting or playing people into the box, not really dictating the play. Although having said that, with Henry gone, it looks as if Arsenal are starting to go for this kind of system with Fabregas as the 10 - it'll be interesting to see how far they can get with it (well its interesting for weirdos like me who like this kind of thing).

It would be great to think Barton will be here for a good 5+ years, taking difficult games by the scruff of the neck and driving us forward, in the Robson/Keane/Gerard role.

I don't think we can say its Owen yet, especially as Sam might stick with the 433 that doesn't seem best suited to him. In a 442 with Viduka and a consistently fully fit Owen up front then he'd definitely be our key player, no question.

Guest teepee

owen is as close as we'll get

i would like a lampard/gerrard/ronaldo sort of player though.... van der vaart springs to mind