Time to drop Steven Taylor?

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No-brainer.  There'll be a canny few simpletons upset at the local hero getting dropped though.

You couldn't be more correct. According to some that means we're not true NUFC supporters  :kasper: :razz:

I'd expect Cacapa, Rozehnal, Taylor, and Faye to all get minutes at CB.

Taylor may play right back. And Faye at CB, RB, LB, and CM.

But the point is well taken, from what I've seen so far-- Cacapa and Rozehnal should be starters.

RB             CB             CB                  LB

-----          ---------       -----------        ---------

Beye        Cacapa       Rozenhnal      Enrique

Taylor       Taylor         Faye               Faye

Faye                                                  N'Zogbia

[Carr]                                                [babayaro]

CM

-----

Geremi

Faye

Butt

etc.

Would not argue with any of that.

Dropping Taylor isn't down to Taylor himself playing badly, just Cacapa & Rozehnal being better.

That's the short term view. Taylor has the potential to be better than either of those, and he can only get better by playing alongside experienced centre backs. I'll leave it to Sam to decide who partners Taylor as I'm happy with either, but Taylor must play providing he maintains an acceptable level of form and I haven't seen him drop below that level as yet.

Rotating the central defensive pairing is a recipe for disaster in my view as it hinders building the trust and communication needed to play effectively in that position.

I dont understand all this s***,drop Taylor!He was one of our best players last year and hes being outstanding this season so far as well.Tough coice though between Roz,Taylor and Capaca.

He played very poorly prior to xmas last year and has been average at best this season. Fairly easy choice really.

Dropping Taylor isn't down to Taylor himself playing badly, just Cacapa & Rozehnal being better.

That's the short term view. Taylor has the potential to be better than either of those, and he can only get better by playing alongside experienced centre backs. I'll leave it to Sam to decide who partners Taylor as I'm happy with either, but Taylor must play providing he maintains an acceptable level of form and I haven't seen him drop below that level as yet.

Rotating the central defensive pairing is a recipe for disaster in my view as it hinders building the trust and communication needed to play effectively in that position.

Didn't do Chelsea or Terry any harm when they kept Desailly & Leboeuf/Gallas together for a few seasons when Terry was the age Taylor is now did it?

Rotation isn't good. Thus, you play your best two centre halves. Taylor isn't in the top 2 and may not be in the top 3 when Faye arrives.

It's about playing your best players, it really is that simple.

Didn't do Chelsea or Terry any harm when they kept Desailly & Leboeuf/Gallas together for a few seasons when Terry was the age Taylor is now did it?

Jimmy like us to to "support the team" (unless he doesn't like the player and then it's ok to boo them). Geordie goggles and not too much thought really.

Jimmy like us to to "support the team" (unless he doesn't like the player and then it's ok to boo them). Geordie goggles and not too much thought really.

Can you find a post from me where I advocate booing one of our players???

I think not "boy"!

Go back to playing your Premier Manager computer games.

Can you find a post from me where I advocate booing one of our players???

I think not "boy"!

Go back to playing your Premier Manager computer games.

Oh dear.

Big Sam shouldn't implement a rotation system in the back four. Communication and trust are key in the defence and if it is constantly being rotated, it will take a very long time for strong understanding between all the defensive players in the squad. Play whoever is in best form at the time, right now we have seen some impressive displays from the 2 new boys, Rozzy and Cacapa. Taylor has also been strong in defense (although admittedly, I missed the boro game).

Taylor has mass potential at the young age of 21 whilst Rozzy and Cacapa have vast experience. It's hard to weigh who deserves to get into the side week in week out. But I truely believe that Rozzy should start - he has been very strong and showed very little weakness. I haven't seen much of Cacapa, only what I saw at the Villa game, but reviews have been positive.

Play Rozzy and Cacapa, bringing Taylor on part way through the game. If we sign Beye the RB position is sorted with the possibility of one of the CB filling in (probably Taylor).

For me the back four for the Wigan game should be:

Beye (Taylor)  Rozzy  Cacapa  Enrique

That looks very strong.

But Taylor needs the premiership experience, even if he does get dropped he will get enough games this season with injuries and drop in form.

Guest firetotheworks

Cacapa and Taylor have been the better players. Taylor should'nt ever have a geordie passport into the starting line up. Im all for developing partnerships and bringing players through but there's no room for being sentimental in football. Competition will do Taylor some good in my opinion.

Guest Magpiecn

Its good for Taylor to fight for his place.I cant see Cacapa or Rozenhnal's place will as solid as Terry in Chelsea at the moment,so there will be a large room for taylor.

They have only played together against Barnsley,but from what I saw against Boro when Capaca came on,he looks our best defender!I would roate Taylor and Roz!

Guest Knightrider

Whatever for? Let them all fight for their places and be picked on merit, so far no-one has stood out in an excellent way (except Cacapa last night) while no-one has made any real bumbling errors. Taylor has the shirt, it is his to lose.

Brilliant we actually have serious options now btw and can discuss such things.

Is it still impossible that we might play 352?

Was thinking about this the other day:

Given

Rozehnal Faye Cacapa

Milner                                    Enrique

Barton Butt Geremi

Owen Viduka

Kind of makes buying a new RB pointless.

Stick to 442 I reckon. IMO we need both Zog and Milner on the pitch.

Is it still impossible that we might play 352?

I really don't think so, you are obsessed! :lol:

Have we played 3-5-2 yet under Allardyce, I seem to remember us playing a lot of formations but can't remember a 3-5-2.

Whatever for? Let them all fight for their places and be picked on merit, so far no-one has stood out in an excellent way (except Cacapa last night) while no-one has made any real bumbling errors. Taylor has the shirt, it is his to lose.

I think he probably lost it against boro. That goal cost us two points which were in the bag. If there wasn't so much competition for places, that could be over-looked, but when you have Rozenhal, Capaca and possibly Faye to choose from, it would be pretty hard to justify picking a 21 yr old prospect ahead of them.

I honestly don't believe Rozehnal has been significantly better than Taylor, I think a lot of people have held certain views about Taylor for a long time while Rozehnal has come in with a clean slate on the back of a positive window and gets the benefit of any doubt. A decent start by a new signing always results in this sort of thing. Roz has made an OK start in my eyes but I think it's fair to say that three games in we just don't know how he will cope against better teams, when we go a goal down (hasn't happened yet) or whatever else. First impressions: I like his calm head, his height, his pace and the fact he stays on his feet, but he also appears weak for a CB and lost out to Agbonlahor IIRC, and doesn't seem to be a commanding presence by any means, instead leaving a lot of the physical work to Taylor (whether this was because Sam told him to do so because of his lack of Prem experience we don't know). Despite his height, I can see why a lot of managers would feel that their burly strikers could get some change out of Rozehnal, he would probably need a more aggressive defender alongside him to get by in this league.

I think Cacapa will be one of the first names on the teamsheet when fit because of his pedigree, he seems a more commanding presence which is hardly surprising given he captained Lyon for 5 years. I'd like to see him and Taylor given a run as I think they could form a solid partnership, but I can see why some people feel Taylor should be brought back down to earth and rested for a bit. At this moment in time I'm not bothered either way, I'm keen to see how our new boys get on and see what they're made of.

I honestly don't believe Rozehnal has been significantly better than Taylor, I think a lot of people have held certain views about Taylor for a long time while Rozehnal has come in with a clean slate on the back of a positive window and gets the benefit of any doubt. A decent start by a new signing always results in this sort of thing. Roz has made an OK start in my eyes but I think it's fair to say that three games in we know almost nowt about him yet and there are far bigger tests to come. So far I like his calm head, his height, his pace and the fact he stays on his feet, but he also appears weak for a CB and lost out to Agbonlahor IIRC, and doesn't seem to be a commanding presence by any means, instead leaving a lot of the physical work to Taylor (whether this was because Sam told him to do so because of his lack of Prem experience we don't know). Despite his height, I can see why a lot of managers would feel that their burly strikers could get some change out of Rozehnal.

I think Cacapa will be one of the first names on the teamsheet when fit because of his pedigree, he seems a more commanding presence which is hardly surprising given he captained Lyon for 5 years. I'd like to see him and Taylor given a run as I think they could form a solid partnership, but I can see why some people feel Taylor should be brought back down to earth and rested for a bit. At this moment in time I'm not bothered either way, I'm keen to see how our new boys get on and see what they're made of.

:clap: Agree with every word. Roz has done well but is getting bummed because he's new and we're desperate for him to succeed. Him and taylor have been on a par.

I honestly don't believe Rozehnal has been significantly better than Taylor, I think a lot of people have held certain views about Taylor for a long time while Rozehnal has come in with a clean slate on the back of a positive window and gets the benefit of any doubt. A decent start by a new signing always results in this sort of thing. Roz has made an OK start in my eyes but I think it's fair to say that three games in we just don't know how he will cope against better teams, when we go a goal down (hasn't happened yet) or whatever else. First impressions: I like his calm head, his height, his pace and the fact he stays on his feet, but he also appears weak for a CB and lost out to Agbonlahor IIRC, and doesn't seem to be a commanding presence by any means, instead leaving a lot of the physical work to Taylor (whether this was because Sam told him to do so because of his lack of Prem experience we don't know). Despite his height, I can see why a lot of managers would feel that their burly strikers could get some change out of Rozehnal, he would probably need a more aggressive defender alongside him to get by in this league.

good post. Cacapa and another at the minute imo, whether its taylor, rozehnal or faye (if he comes) is down to who looks the best.