Geremi - Can We Drop Our Captain?

Shak

Geremi seems to only want to pass it sideways or backwards

Despite starting the moves for two of our goals on Sunday with two forward passes.

Which sounds great if you watch the highlights on tv, unfortunately he doesn't pass it forward nearly enough over the course of 90 minutes and offers the team very little apart from playing it safe the majority of the time, partner that with a defensive midfielder in Butt and it's a bit of a shit partnership.

Despite starting the moves for two of our goals on Sunday with two forward passes.

Which sounds great if you watch the highlights on tv, unfortunately he doesn't pass it forward nearly enough over the course of 90 minutes and offers the team very little apart from playing it safe the majority of the time, partner that with a defensive midfielder in Butt and it's a bit of a shit partnership.

Sometimes it is better to sit back and keep possession instead of wasting balls played forward. Considering that we were leading for most of the game, this is perfectly acceptable.

Sometimes it is better to sit back and keep possession instead of wasting balls played forward. Considering that we were leading for most of the game, this is perfectly acceptable.

It's all well and good him doing it when we've got a lead, the problem is he does it when we're level or even losing which is where the problem starts.

I'm basing my opinion over what I've seen of him this season in midfield, not just on the West Ham match.

• 1 month later...

Judging by today's team it would seem that maybe we can't drop him?

Butt has been terrific recently, so can't really drop him. While we want to get Emre and Barton involved and playing games so their selection seems natural.

Geremi, who I think has been pretty poor the last few games and doesn't seem like a winger at all, would seem to be the odd man out but he's kept his place, resulting in a system that will likely be devoid of width.

Would  have preferred Milner or Zoggy in the team playing wide instead of Geremi today, with Emre or Barton playing tucked in on the opposite side.

Interesting to see how things develop over the next few weeks.

I heard he played really well preseason but i dont think ive seen him have a single game any better than average.  Good player to have, but i'd like to see him dropped.

Would  have preferred Milner or Zoggy in the team playing wide instead of Geremi today, with Emre or Barton playing tucked in on the opposite side.

I think Sam thought due to owen's size, wingers were not the way, and thought the 4 he played would be more creative.

He should be dropped, Rozehnal should be playing instead of him away from home

something like this away from home:

given

beye cacapa rozehnal enrique

milner  barton faye n'zogbia

martins smith

at home:

given

beye cacapa faye enrique

milner emre barton n'zogbia

owen viduka

He should be dropped, Rozehnal should be playing instead of him away from home

something like this away from home:

given

beye cacapa rozehnal enrique

milner  barton faye n'zogbia

martins smith

at home:

given

beye cacapa faye enrique

milner emre barton n'zogbia

owen viduka

I would pick the home team everytime but maybe rotate Capaca with Taylor and Roz

I've yet to see anything to convince me Geremi is worthy of a first team place once everyone is fit, not convinced though that Sam thinks the same way however.

Whatever happens we are going to need a vice captian for January as I'm sure he'll be of to the African Cup of Nations.

The African cup of nations is a godsend in disguise i think! We have quite a lot of players going off to that tourny and Big Sam/Mort will be aware of this. We will look to strengthen anyway in January and when it comes to the armband if Geremi doesn't being 'irreplaceable' by Jan I can see Big Sam using it as an excuse to make someone like Barton the captain until the end of the season.

Drop Geremi for who? Milner?! He's been fucking rubbish all season.

Geremi had a decent game down the right against Spurs, he's not the sort to hug the touchline but he's a decent passer of the ball and helps keep the flow of the ball in midfield, he also links up well with Emre as they both have a footballing brain.

The problem is we need someone on there to keep the width of the team so if you're not going to play N'Zogbia then you should be playing Milner on the right, Zog should be playing every game though.

I think Geremi should be dropped, and he shouldnt play in the winger position. And he should stop taking our freekicks, corners etc. The guy cant shoot or pass the ball, cant believe Big Sam cant see this.You don try to chip the ball in goal from 35 meters, It is such a waste of the freekick.  :(

Think Milner was good last game, when he came in as a sub. and he got a goal.  We need to buy aa world class winger to replace milner, atleast fight for his place in the team.

Think Milner was good last game, when he came in as a sub. and he got a goal.  We need to buy aa world class winger to replace milner, atleast fight for his place in the team.

You've got to be joking, he was dreadful when he came on even if he did get a goal.

yes we can drop geremi.

another thing about geremi,he's played most his football in this country wide right (at boro and chelsea) or right back(chelsea) yet some are having a go at allardyce for playing 4 central midfielders V reading......which is he ?

You've got to be joking, he was dreadful when he came on even if he did get a goal.

He won us the freekick that got us the goal yesterday and tbf we looked a far better side when he came on.

He won us the freekick that got us the goal yesterday and tbf we looked a far better side when he came on.

We're not on about yesterday.