Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's questionable whether he'd play tomorrow anyway given that we have Beye, Rozehnal & Cacapa.

Don't know why people seem to think Beye will just walk into the team. No other player from outside the premiership has done so with the exception of Rozenhal who had a whole pre-season.

the whole situation stinks of that situation in 2004 when all the young players went full of themselves like jenas, dyer and bellamy. looks like stevie is doing the same and if  he doesn't  realise he's getting handsomely paid to play for his dream club, then i'd ship him out beacuse we don't need this. he is a good defender and will get better....as long as he realises he isn't bigger than the club.

What are you on about? He isn't handsomely payed at all, by all accounts he is one of the lowest paid players at the club.

To be honest I can't blame Taylor for what he's doing. He wants to be paid a fair rate that is on a par with other young players at this club and he wants to start. At the end of the day it's his livelihood so if he can't get what he wants he'll move on. 

8,000 a week to play for nufc is okay for me pal! he should be grateful.

the whole situation stinks of that situation in 2004 when all the young players went full of themselves like jenas, dyer and bellamy. looks like stevie is doing the same and if  he doesn't  realise he's getting handsomely paid to play for his dream club, then i'd ship him out beacuse we don't need this. he is a good defender and will get better....as long as he realises he isn't bigger than the club.

What are you on about? He isn't handsomely payed at all, by all accounts he is one of the lowest paid players at the club.

To be honest I can't blame Taylor for what he's doing. He wants to be paid a fair rate that is on a par with other young players at this club and he wants to start. At the end of the day it's his livelihood so if he can't get what he wants he'll move on. 

8,000-a-week may seem a lot to us but when you consider some players who are nowhere near as good (see Carr, Babayaro etc.) as Taylor are making triple what he earns then he is very underpaid.

It's questionable whether he'd play tomorrow anyway given that we have Beye, Rozehnal & Cacapa.

Don't know why people seem to think Beye will just walk into the team. No other player from outside the premiership has done so with the exception of Rozenhal who had a whole pre-season.

Cacapa had no pre-season so needed time to settle, Enrique is only 21 and needs bedded in, Beye is at the right age, had a full pre-season, and is in a position where he's the only natural player in that position.

Sell him, you could bring in a better defender than what Taylor is now for the price you would get for him.

Yes, but the idea is that Taylor could become very good in time and we've got Cacapa, Rozenhal and possibly Faye to play at CB already.

IF he's acting the twat and thinks he's the next John Terry and starts making outlandish demands then I've absolutely no problem with getting rid of him.

But it's insane that so many people see him as not having the potential to be anything more than average, or "another Bramble".

He's 21 and has been playing alongside truly wretched defenders his entire career here and has still managed to look a cut above pretty much all of them.

We bring in Cacapa and Rozenhal who have a few good games between them against poor opposition and all of a sudden we have no need for someone like Taylor, a rough yet very promising prospect. Outrageously short-sighted.

Pretty much all the faults I see in Taylor, and there are a few, can be eradicated with good coaching. He's not like Bramble, who you knew was going to just do something bizarre and unfathomable at any given moment, the type of thing that no amount of coaching can cure. Taylor just needs to be taught when to go for the ball-winning challenge and when to back off and make the man beat him or pick a pass.

He's broken through at a time when the team has been going backwards, it's ridiculous to expect him to be the complete article yet. But it's certainly in him to become a very, very good CB.

He's got some good, composed players to learn from in Rozenhal and Cacapa alongside him. I also have a lot more faith in Allardyce's coaching than the previous regimes.

He should be paid roughly the same as what Milner and N'Zogbia are getting. If we're offering him significantly less, then we're being stupid about things. If he's demanding significantly more, get rid.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Sell him, you could bring in a better defender than what Taylor is now for the price you would get for him.

Yes, but the idea is that Taylor could become very good in time and we've got Cacapa, Rozenhal and possibly Faye to play at CB already.

IF he's acting the t*** and thinks he's the next John Terry and starts making outlandish demands then I've absolutely no problem with getting rid of him.

But it's insane that so many people see him as not having the potential to be anything more than average, or "another Bramble".

He's 21 and has been playing alongside truly wretched defenders his entire career here and has still managed to look a cut above pretty much all of them.

We bring in Cacapa and Rozenhal who have a few good games between them against poor opposition and all of a sudden we have no need for someone like Taylor, a rough yet very promising prospect. Outrageously short-sighted.

Pretty much all the faults I see in Taylor, and there are a few, can be eradicated with good coaching. He's not like Bramble, who you knew was going to just do something bizarre and unfathomable at any given moment, the type of thing that no amount of coaching can cure. Taylor just needs to be taught when to go for the ball-winning challenge and when to back off and make the man beat him or pick a pass.

He's broken through at a time when the team has been going backwards, it's ridiculous to expect him to be the complete article yet. But it's certainly in him to become a very, very good CB.

He's got some good, composed players to learn from in Rozenhal and Cacapa alongside him. I also have a lot more faith in Allardyce's coaching than the previous regimes.

He should be paid roughly the same as what Milner and N'Zogbia are getting. If we're offering him significantly less, then we're being stupid about things. If he's demanding significantly more, get rid.

Couldnt have said it better myself, even though I have tried quite a few times in this thread ;)

:thup: :thup:

IF he's acting the twat and thinks he's the next John Terry and starts making outlandish demands then I've absolutely no problem with getting rid of him.

How good do you think he can become, Shak?

8,000-a-week may seem a lot to us but when you consider some players who are nowhere near as good (see Carr, Babayaro etc.) as Taylor are making triple what he earns then he is very underpaid.

And he's been offered a pay rise, we can't go and pay everyone sky high wages just because Carr and Babayaro get paid well, 2 players who are likely to be out of the door when their contracts expire because they are clearly not worth what they pick up in wages.

Allardyce has said he's been offered a very good deal for someone of his age and experience which suggests he's on the same pay as Milner and N'Zogbia.

:clap:

IF he's acting the t*** and thinks he's the next John Terry and starts making outlandish demands then I've absolutely no problem with getting rid of him.

How good do you think he can become, Shak?

I'm not sure tbh. Much depends on how well he responds to good coaching, something that varies from player to player.

His playing style is very similiar to that of Terry, so it's hard not to compare the two. While Terry was a much better player at the same age as Taylor, he still made mistakes and played with a bit of a wrecklessness. Terry did, however, have a much better setup to learn in as Chelsea were reasonably well organised and had Desailly and Lebouef there to help him as he broke in, so it's natural his development was further along.

If, and it's a big if, he is a good learner and has a good attitude and a real desire to improve his game then I really do believe he can become a top-class defender.

From the sounds of things, he seems to have a right big chip on his shoulder and if that's the case and he thinks he's already there then he won't get there, he'll just be a good defender who's prone to silly mistakes and poor positional play.

But I do believe all of his faults can be coached out of him, and I'd much rather we were the club that tried to do it.

Do you think because I want him sold that I don't feel he has the potential to be a good defender? (I won't say great, as I don't think he will be). You're wrong if you do.

Alright then.

OMFG you compared Taylor to Terry lol.

I preferred the comparison to Matthew Upson that was made earlier in this thread.

Well that's the other side of the coin isn't it?

It'll most likely be somewhere in the middle I reckon.

Matthew Upson and Steven Taylor are compareable in the respect that, when both at 22/23, they each had/have the potential to be excellent footballers. What makes them uncompareable is Upson's hurrendous injury record.

Taylor's PR in this matter has been utter crap. Well what can you expect when he doesn't come across as one of the brightest and he's being advised by his Dad.

He needs to take a step back, sit down and talk it out with Sam and Mort and not conduct his business through the papers.

He's going to do his relationship with the fans a lot of harm if he carries on like this, and as I'm of the opinion that he could become a great asset to the club given time, I don't want see any more of this shit in the papers.

Guest elbee909

Would be ok for me too.  However we can't fucking play football, can we? :)