Euro 2008

Kev

I don't care if Crouch is better with the ball at his feet than Heskey. The good thing about Heskey is that he can control every ball hit up to him and lay it off and do it all day. Crouch can't fucking do that, he just gives away fouls and is poor in the air in comparison.

It was interesting to see the three pundits humming and ha-ing about what to do when Rooney comes back. Heskey opened things up a lot for us, so I'd keep him, and Rooney is our best player. Tough on Owen, but in an away game when we're up against it, Rooney's the better option.

You'd drop Owen after three goals in two games?

For Rooney, yes.

It was interesting to see the three pundits humming and ha-ing about what to do when Rooney comes back. Heskey opened things up a lot for us, so I'd keep him, and Rooney is our best player. Tough on Owen, but in an away game when we're up against it, Rooney's the better option.

For Rooney, yes.

No offence, but you're mental.

Guest LucaAltieri

I don't care if Crouch is better with the ball at his feet than Heskey. The good thing about Heskey is that he can control every ball hit up to him and lay it off and do it all day. Crouch can't fucking do that, he just gives away fouls and is poor in the air in comparison.

Fair point on the fouls, but I'd disagree with the high balls... his heading has come along nicely since going to Liverpool. Granted he's still not as good at it as Hesky, but Hesky seems a bit of a one trick pony. On the whole I'd say Crouch brings more to the team. But then again, it should also depend on the opposition.

owen and rooney could well be a gerrard/lampard situation. two very good players who can't work together so one has to give way for a lesser player that works better for the team.

Which to drop then? Someone who makes few and scores many, or someone who makes many and scores few?

I don't care if Crouch is better with the ball at his feet than Heskey. The good thing about Heskey is that he can control every ball hit up to him and lay it off and do it all day. Crouch can't f****** do that, he just gives away fouls and is poor in the air in comparison.

spot on.

Central defenders can't go through Heskey, like they can Crouch. Even when Heskey doesn't win the ball, he makes them struggle. But there's not a lot to choose between them.

For Rooney, yes.

Can't believe I'm reading that

owen and rooney could well be a gerrard/lampard situation. two very good players who can't work together so one has to give way for a lesser player that works better for the team.

Which to drop then? Someone who makes few and scores many, or someone who makes many and scores few?

We'll have to choose the right team for the situation. It's not a problem. Some teams aren't going to fall for the Heskey/Owen combination. I can't imagine getting much change out of Italy where we might need a bit of magic from Rooney to make something spark.

try to find the one that works best. that is the managers job not a drunken fans.

err owen plays

We'll have to choose the right team for the situation. It's not a problem. Some teams aren't going to fall for the Heskey/Owen combination. I can't imagine getting much change out of Italy where we might need a bit of magic from Rooney to make something spark.

The problem is that Rooney spark might create a chance for someone else. Who else can finish like Owen? It's a weird one.

Guest kingdawson

James Mcfadden, what a player he could be (or could have been) if:

a) he starts being more consistant

b) Everton give him a run of games

Linked?

Yeh i suppose they are.

The problem is that Rooney spark might create a chance for someone else. Who else can finish like Owen? It's a weird one.

Tbh, I would always play Owen.

you don't fix something that isn't broken.

McClaren should just stick with that XI against Estonia.  Although SWP and Joe Cole weren't all that tonight, they should be kept in the team, because Saturday showed the formation of partnerships that McClaren talked about.

IMO, the egotistical bastards that are Neville, Rooney, Fat, Crouch and Hargreaves can have a place on the bench.  Fuck the lot of them.

Can we have some heads on the block here? I say Rooney. What say you?

rooney is by far the best player in the england squad, but not mature or consistent enough to have a team built around him at the moment. i'd bench him for some of the so called "easier" games coming up, as well as friendlies, so that he gets a kick up his arse. while Owen and Rooney haven't exactly hit it off as a partnership, part of that must be down to the likes of beckham, lampard, terry and gerrard hitting it long every chance they get. also they didnt look too bad at euro 2004 tho that was partially at owen's expense. not a perfect partnership by any means but i'd play both together if we qualify for the euros.

Guest LucaAltieri

I haven't got anything against Crouch. I just fucking hate him.

Why's that?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/TheCrouch.gif

Can we have some heads on the block here? I say Rooney. What say you?

Not really sure. Rooney is clearly a major talent, but Owen is our premier goalscorer, and has always delivered when it mattered. It'd be nice if we could find a way to fit them both in a system some way, but the friendlies are useless so we can only fall back on 4-4-2 it seems.

Not really sure. Rooney is clearly a major talent, but Owen is our premier goalscorer, and has always delivered when it mattered. It'd be nice if we could find a way to fit them both in a system some way, but the friendlies are useless so we can only fall back on 4-4-2 it seems.

Yeah? I'd say that in the last World Cup and European Championships finals, he was fairly useless.

The last two matches have been England's best in years.  Anyone who wants to tinker with it for the sake of including players with massive reputations is just mental.

This latest formula looks like a winner - Owen OR Rooney (not together) paired with Heskey OR Crouch.  On current form, Heskey & Owen.  No question.  We've seen no evidence that Owen & Rooney are an effective partnership.  Little & large is what they know how to do, so why mess with it?

Lampard should be in the squad as cover for Gerrard.  Not first choice.  Barry, Hargreaves & Carrick for the other midfield role.  In that order.

It just seems like common sense at this point.  England finally play well, and everyone wants to change things.