Do we need a Heskey?

Dave

i think some are missing the point. i don't think anyone is saying we should get a Heskey clone, but a player with similar strengths to Heskey. we'd want a strongish player good in the air with excellent mobility, some pace, who works hard, can link play and create space. in the case of Heskey that is ALL he does and he can basically do nothing more than that. ideally we'd have a player who can do all this, and well as more on top, like Anelka, as getting a Heskey clone whose only job is to help his strike partner, is effectively putting all your eggs in one basket.

we also want a defender who's strong in the air,quick,good distribution,strong in the tackle,good character,always fit.

makes itsound easy

i think some are missing the point. i don't think anyone is saying we should get a Heskey clone, but a player with similar strengths to Heskey. we'd want a strongish player good in the air with excellent mobility, some pace, who works hard, can link play and create space. in the case of Heskey that is ALL he does and he can basically do nothing more than that. ideally we'd have a player who can do all this, and well as more on top, like Anelka, as getting a Heskey clone whose only job is to help his strike partner, is effectively putting all your eggs in one basket.

Anelka is really the only player that fits this category though. Ive wanted us to sign him for a long time mainly because hes capable of both playing alongside Owen as well as deputising for him - one of the few top class players in the Premiership who could do that, and probably the only one we could attract.

Theres Tevez, who minus the aerial ability would fit this role perfectly since his game is all about holding the ball up and bring others in to play, alongside having the ability to switch to the flank and also score goals. But then hes not exactly a realistic target.

After that though, its hard to think of a player - apart from maybe Huntelaar, who despite being a predator type forward, does also have a good all-round game with some ability on the ball, and certainly enough presence/strength to cause problems. Huntelaar and Owen up front. Would be pretty immense, albeit pretty unrealistic.

Anelka is really the only player that fits this category though. Ive wanted us to sign him for a long time mainly because hes capable of both playing alongside Owen as well as deputising for him - one of the few top class players in the Premiership who could do that, and probably the only one we could attract.

Theres Tevez, who minus the aerial ability would fit this role perfectly since his game is all about holding the ball up and bring others in to play, alongside having the ability to switch to the flank and also score goals. But then hes not exactly a realistic target.

After that though, its hard to think of a player - apart from maybe Huntelaar, who despite being a predator type forward, does also have a good all-round game with some ability on the ball, and certainly enough presence/strength to cause problems. Huntelaar and Owen up front. Would be pretty immense, albeit pretty unrealistic.

Drogba is another but obviously he isn't going to come. i don't think Tevez would suit Owen as he spends too much time playing deep and that just isolates owen, leaving him bullied by the centre-halves 20 yards from the box. bit similar when owen and rooney play together, doesn't quite work. true that it is hard to find this type of player, but if we want to base our attack around owen for the next few years, i think we should start looking.

I think Smith could do a job in a Heskey type fasion. He isn't as big but is more aggressive and works hard.

yeah, with the strikers we have, Smith-Owen and Viduka-Martins seem like the two most natural pairings, in theory that is.

Dean Ashton would be awesome alongside Owen. He's got a bit of Heskey in him, as well as a bit of Viduka. Owen and Ashton would work wonderfully well I would imagine.

Would probably be available for the right proce too.

I think we already have one at the club and whom I think is much better,its Viduka.They never play before together prior to Viduka's move here so I think given the time,they should be able to develop a good partnership upfront just like Owen did with Huskey during his Liverpool days.

I think Viduka could well be that Heskeyesque type player you are looking for. He is big, strong, decent in the air, like Heskey is not a particularly selfish player & has the added abilities of vision, skill, can pick a pass & can also finish.

His problems are his lack of mobility, speed, motivation & too many injuries.

So; ideally what we really should be looking for is a Viduka type player............

Owen is outstanding at retaining possession in the final third of the pitch. We need to get a central midfielder to run on to join the attack when Owen is on the ball, and we need our wingers overlapping. Barton may be useful here, while we all know what Milner and N'Zogbia can do.

Another excellent thing about Owen is his movement. He always moves into a position to receive the ball, even if it isn't a goalscoring position such that he has time and space to play a team contribution, and as soon as he passes the ball onto someone else, he has quickly turned into another area of space, allowing his team mate to find him if needed. The distance he runs during a game is impressive for a striker, and this can only tire and distract his rival defenders. He only makes the final run towards the goalscoring position when he knows the ball is going to be played into the danger area. Even then, he doesn't wait for the ball to come to him, he goes to the ball.

A quality player and a quality striker.