Do we need a Heskey?

Dave

No we don't "need a Heskey".

Owen will do just fine playing alongside the strikers we've got.

If we create chances Owen will score, just as he's always done throughout his career. I'm pretty confident, with the tactical variations Sam's got at his disposal within the squad, that we will create plenty of chances and I've taken 20/1 about him being top Premiership goal scorer this season.

Heskey is still crap.

I agree.  I've never seen such a big, musclebound man who could outmuscle almost anyone in professional football that is (usually) so timid, weak-minded and who spends so much time picking himself up off the ground.  There are times when I think I could beat him in a 50-50.

looking for another heskey? go to mido then..... he is younger but has similar ability to heskey of being a target man.  england tactics for winning again russia and israel is similar to spuds tactics when mido partner keane & defoe. the tactics is robbo lump the ball forwards then mido "flick on" to keane or defoe... then bang! goal.... just like we see england tactics when robbo all the time just lump the ball to heskey... the key is good strong target man...

looking for another heskey? go to mido then..... he is younger but has similar ability to heskey of being a target man.  england tactics for winning again russia and israel is similar to spuds tactics when mido partner keane & defoe. the tactics is robbo lump the ball forwards then mido "flick on" to keane or defoe... then bang! goal.... just like we see england tactics when robbo all the time just lump the ball to heskey... the key is good strong target man...

Yeah I'm sure Mido is dying to hear those terrorist chants week in week out.

I think exactly the same about signing Heskey as I did when I posted this early in 2006.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=21891.msg406581#msg406581

He's a good player and has been for ages. I've never understood why he comes in for so much ridicule, it's like some kind of roller-coaster and once people start loads of mongs blindly join in. He was used out of position on the left for a long time, never his strongest role and I suspect that's where the abuse he gets all started.

Guest Knightrider

I think exactly the same about signing Heskey as I did when I posted this early in 2006.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=21891.msg406581#msg406581

He's a good player and has been for ages. I've never understood why he comes in for so much ridicule, it's like some kind of roller-coaster and once people start loads of mongs blindly join in. He was used out of position on the left for a long time, never his strongest role and I suspect that's where the abuse he gets all started.

Couldn't agree more and while the thread isn't asking whether we need Heskey himself, I wouldn't be adverse to signing him as I've always regarded him as a good player. People often just look at Heskey as an individual or his stats, and don't look at the bigger picture, which is the team. He's a highly effective player as he's proved for England, Michael Owen and just as importantly, England's midfield. He's just an all-round decent player. He's not great and won't grab you goals but my he'll have a positive effect on the team dynamic and that's what it's all about for me, how the team performs not the individuals.

He is exactly the kind of mobile striker we need.

However we don't want to fall into a trap here, we need more than a mobile striker or rather such a player won't answer all the questions by himself. Id' far rather we solved the Owen question with playmakers  too. Owen works well alongside a Heskey but he is such an exceptionally intelligent forward, he'd thrive even more on service from all over the park and not just down the middle.

Back to Heskey though, I'd take him here in a heartbeat and would like to see us show an interest in January. He's effectively an ideal player for us and within our grasp financially you'd imagine. He's better than Ameobi and would be a better partner for Owen than either Martins or Viduka, and a better player for the 4-3-3 as he can play on the right as he did for Liverpool and Leciester.

Couldn't agree more and while the thread isn't asking whether we need Heskey himself, I wouldn't be adverse to signing him as I've always regarded him as a good player. People often just look at Heskey as an individual or his stats, and don't look at the bigger picture, which is the team. He's a highly effective player as he's proved for England, Michael Owen and just as importantly, England's midfield. He's just an all-round decent player. He's not great and won't grab you goals but my he'll have a positive effect on the team dynamic and that's what it's all about for me, how the team performs not the individuals.

However we don't want to fall into a trap here, we need more than a mobile striker or rather such a player won't answer all the questions by himself. Id' far rather we solved the Owen question with playmakers  too. Owen works well alongside a Heskey but he is such an exceptionally intelligent forward, he'd thrive even more on service from all over the park and not just down the middle.

Back to Heskey though, I'd take him here in a heartbeat and would like to see us show an interest in January. He's effectively an ideal player for us and within our grasp financially you'd imagine. He's better than Ameobi and would be a better partner for Owen than either Martins or Viduka, and a better player for the 4-3-3 as he can play on the right as he did for Liverpool and Leciester.

Better than Torres?

Guest Knightrider

Better than Torres?

Different types of player.

Should have used Collins John.

;)

dunno about heskey but i do like the idea of building a team to play to owen's strengths (ie goal scoring) - a 4-4-2 with pacy wingers and a mobile strike partner that will win more flick ons, do more running and hold up the ball for him better than any of our current strikers.

owen will not work in a 4-3-3. just like shearer didn't. but like shearer, he's a natural goal scorer and it's worth changing the system to suit him because he guarantees goals. he needs a strike partner playing close to him and doing a lot of the selfless running of the channels - to get the best out of him - just like heskey did in the past two england games.

I'd let Ashton have this year to try and get back to fitness.  I really think his injury probably set him back 2 years, at least.  It's really sad when you think about it, I think he could make a great strike partner for Owen both at Newcastle and for England.

Better than Torres?

Nah. Ashton is though. ;)

Ashton was branded as Mr. Overated when I mentioned him as a potential Heskey type partner for Owen. He was really good yesterday and I can't help but feel people have forgotten how dangerous a player he is. Good strong target man with a nice subtle touch.

Ashton was branded as Mr. Overated when I mentioned him as a potential Heskey type partner for Owen. He was really good yesterday and I can't help but feel people have forgotten how dangerous a player he is. Good strong target man with a nice subtle touch.

If Taylor had played from the start he wouldn't of looked so handy, and probably wouldn't of scored either.

But yes, Ashton over Heskey and day of the week.

Ashton is a decent target man but I would prefer Heskey because he's far more mobile. not only is he strong he will stretch teams, and is more of Anelka type, although without the goal threat. That would be my only concern, is he going to be as much use when Owen isn't playing?

• 1 year later...
Guest LucaAltieri

Appartenly his contract is up in the summer. Would anyone want him here in place of Owen, Viduka, Shola, or Xisco (all of which could be outbound)?