Derby 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 17/09/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Dave

i cannot believe last nights performance. shola is unbelieveable. we should have snapped the arm off anyone making an offer for hm in the transfer window. n'zobia was very poor aswell. everyone on here seems to have a vendetta towards alan smith but in my opinion he was the only player who seemed to care last night. put his everything into his slides and genuinely seemed to care which is more than i can say for anyone else. i live in manchester and my hatred for manchester united is greater than anyones and i usually despise any player they have but i really do think smith is our future. a woeful performance from us lot. butt made me laugh aswell. his distribution is appaling. defensively we seemed sound, which even though we were playing derby is a first. like cacapa and rozenhal. taylor was abismal, he hasnt got the pace or the accuracy t play as a right back, bu i caanot blame him as he just wants to play for his club. sort it out allardyce!

That's ace. :lol:

That comment about players being on international duty makes me laugh - the best player on the park last night  - Stephen Pearson - had just come back from running his nuts off for Scotland against France and he looked sharper and more energetic than our entire team put together.

i cannot believe last nights performance. shola is unbelieveable. we should have snapped the arm off anyone making an offer for hm in the transfer window. n'zobia was very poor aswell. everyone on here seems to have a vendetta towards alan smith but in my opinion he was the only player who seemed to care last night. put his everything into his slides and genuinely seemed to care which is more than i can say for anyone else. i live in manchester and my hatred for manchester united is greater than anyones and i usually despise any player they have but i really do think smith is our future. a woeful performance from us lot. butt made me laugh aswell. his distribution is appaling. defensively we seemed sound, which even though we were playing derby is a first. like cacapa and rozenhal. taylor was abismal, he hasnt got the pace or the accuracy t play as a right back, bu i caanot blame him as he just wants to play for his club. sort it out allardyce!

It's true, though. Last season, I heard he went up to a lad in the stands and said, 'I'm gonna do this next slide for you, champ,' then he ran half the length of the pitch, dived in two-footed with as much gusto as he could summon, and high-fived the little scamp as he was sent off.

Rozys comments:

And Rozehnal was left annoyed after the full-time whistle: "I think this guy must have liked me.

"He touched me all of the time and I told the referee about it a few times.

"Before they scored, he was hugging me.

;D

It's true, though. Last season, I heard he went up to a lad in the stands and said, 'I'm gonna do this next slide for you, champ,' then he ran half the length of the pitch, dived in two-footed with as much gusto as he could summon, and high-fived the little scamp as he was sent off.

mackems.gif

true though, smith puts everything into his slide tackles, including both his feet, and his upraised studs, and even if the opponent has already gotten rid of the ball, it still won't deter smith!

SA said clean slate for everyone and I hope we'll be able to look back on games like this and think they were part of a general appraisal and shakeout of the team.  I know they're real points we're playing for now, but Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm not an Allardyce fan tbh and have always been more concerned about the lack of creativity over our defensive shortcomings. Spurs conceded loads more than us last season but no-one gives Jol the "comedy defence" one.  I think people are too sensitive to lazy Southern journalism on that matter. If all you've got is good defenders, you'll end up like Citeh last year.

The "14 touches for Michael Owen" comment sums up the game really.  Part of it was Shola, who was fkn terrible and did not link up without anyone at all.  He's shown nothing at all since his operation. If that is him match fit, then he's finished. His clean slate has gone in one game!  I think he needs to go in the stiffs. If the midfield can't create anything, we'll have to play Martins because he's the only one that can do it by himself.

We all said Dyer lacked a best position, but what does that make Smith? For a striker playing in midfield, he does nothing going forward. As with Zog, I don't think its good to give attacking players ball-winning responsibilities.  You end up with them diving in rashly and hurrying their forward play.

The way the midfield has been set up so far, there is going to be a lot of pressure on Emre or Barton when they come in. Both have their limitations too.

Anyway, here's hoping this is one step back to go with two steps forward.  There were lots of worrying signs though and it hurts when you deservedly lose to some pumped-up fckwit of a Championship manager. Get well soon Viduka is all I can say.

good post.

in reference to Dyer and Smith, both lack a best position, both can fill a number of attacking roles across the pitch, and allardyce effectively said Smith was Dyer's replacement. however i think most would agree that smith isn't a suitable replacement for Dyer, or even Solano, and that their pace and guile is being sorely missed so far. had dyer or nobby been playing right midfield against Derby i think they'd have put in a better performance and more importantly the team would be much more balanced, with greater variety to the attack. however in Allardyce's head, both these players have probably been adequately replaced (by Beye and Smith) and their absence is not an issue. this doesn't exactly make me relish Allardyce's "rebuilding" of our squad. yes he has brought in some much needed depth and some much needed strength and solidity but at the cost of pace and flair. even tho we have players in the squad last night with these qualities, like zoggy, milner, martins, possibly owen, we're not playing to their strengths and alienating them by launching it to someone who is crap at playing targetman. if Allardyce ignores pace and flair then his newcastle side won't amount to much, hopefully his next phase of "rebuilding" includes the purchase of top class attacking talent.

For me that was one of the worst performances i've witnessed from a Newcastle team since the eighties.

Not one player done themselves any credit at all, not one.

The only thing keeping me going today is the hope that Sam will make them watch this pathetic excuse for a performance and that they will see what an absolute shower of shite they were last night. And if they have even the slightest bit of pride in themselves as footballers they will go out in every game this season with this game in their minds and prove to everyone watching that they are fit to wear the shirt, because on last nights performance not one of them is.

Guest shire100

No offence Beardsley magic, i know everybody has an opinion but one of the worst performances since the eighties is a bit OTT we saw at least 7 performances like that, last season alone.

I remeber watching us under Jack Charlton and no way were we as bad as that last night.

Which games would you say matched our performance last night, which was not good by any stretch of the imagination but to say it was one of the worst in modern history (1-5 Brum) is slightly going over board in my humble opinion.

Lets see how the lads bounce back

For me that was one of the worst performances i've witnessed from a Newcastle team since the eighties.

The only thing keeping me going today is the hope that Sam will make them watch this pathetic excuse for a performance and that they will see what an absolute shower of s**** they were last night. And if they have even the slightest bit of pride in themselves as footballers they will go out in every game this season with this game in their minds and prove to everyone watching that they are fit to wear the shirt, because on last nights performance not one of them is.

TBH I think Allarydce is the one who needs to sit down and rewatch the match because he made a shambles of the selection, tactics and substitutions...

People saying Solano would've helped last night; Geremi basically is a poor-man's Solano. He could've shifted right and had Smith as the attacking CM.

a few people have said this, and i think it would've been better than Geremi in the middle and Smith out wide. not seen Geremi play right-wing since Boro really but he looked very good back then (so knowing our luck he's probably shit now!).

Guest Harry-Norway

totally agree with you,it was a shame ,sitting on a platform in the North sea with 20 people supporting other english team,and watching the s*** Toon performed last night was a bad experience

if we have cover for nearly every position how can fat matty pattison sit on the bench for us?

when he plays he fucks the game up instead of making it look good

where is enrique? he hasnt even been on the bench since barnsley game

What is very disturbing is that sam had absolutely no idea how to change the pattern of the game. He could not make a tactical switch with the players on the fiel,  and the introduction of two defensive players with limited ability going forward was absurd when we were chasing the game.

Tactically inept and very reminiscent of Glenn Roeder as neither of them had any answers.

Fucking embarrasing that it was on Monday night as well for the rest of the country to have a laugh at us.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

What is very disturbing is that sam had absolutely no idea how to change the pattern of the game. He could not make a tactical switch with the players on the fiel,  and the introduction of two defensive players with limited ability going forward was absurd when we were chasing the game.

Tactically inept and very reminiscent of Glenn Roeder as neither of them had any answers.

The line-up was reminiscent of Roeder. But the tactical changes during the match weren't incorrect (although he probably should have withdrawn Butt rather than Geremi), it was just unfortunate that everyone was playing so shit anyway, it didn't make a difference. We reverted from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 when Faye came on, incase you missed it.

When ameobi is on the field it is meaningless to talk about 442 or 433.

But I didn't see much difference TBH. I do see a difference when a team like manure changes a formation but last night? Fuck all.

When ameobi is on the field it is meaningless to talk about 442 or 433.

But I didn't see much difference TBH. I do see a difference when a team like manure changes a formation but last night? Fuck all.

Blame the players for playing shit then, not the manager. The formula was changed, no two ways about it.

Btw, "nothing matters when Ameobi's playing" and "we're not as good as Man Utd" ... cracking arguments there. :clap:

No, dumbshit.

Merely pointing out that I can appreciate a tactical change that leads to a change in the pattern of a game. I didn't see much difference last night at all.

No, dumbshit.

Merely pointing out that I can appreciate a tactical change that leads to a change in the pattern of a game. I didn't see much difference last night at all.

Dumbshit? :lol:

Love you babes. :smitten:

OK, that's fine. But you can't blame the manager. He made the change, it's up to the players to make it effective.

Guest Magnetic North

The only thing keeping me going today is the hope that Sam will make them watch this pathetic excuse for a performance and that they will see what an absolute shower of s**** they were last night. And if they have even the slightest bit of pride in themselves as footballers they will go out in every game this season with this game in their minds and prove to everyone watching that they are fit to wear the shirt, because on last nights performance not one of them is.

Yes. Appallingly bad.