Derby 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 17/09/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Dave

It was poor, whichever way you look at it. Harper wasn't to blame for the goal but I imagine Given will be in for the next game in terms of presence alone. Ameobi was just dreadful can't see why Martins wasn't playing from the start. Zog has to be played in midfield, not a defender. Smith might as well not have been there at all. Derby showed guts but an early goal would have finished them off. This was a great opportunity missed to go top 5. Roll on the Toon reunion which will be a tough game to win.

just back from the game. another shambles of wigan/sheff utd proportions. just didnt turn up.

canny day out spoiled by the match once again, waste of a day off.

didnt realise smith was playing until the second half. shola was woeful. owen had to come past halfway to get the ball. martins was forced out to the touchline again, but there was no owen to head anything in, just shola trotting around outside the box like a plank. rozenhal was our most creative player, but a poor game in defence. beye didnt look like he'd touched a ball in weeks (nerves maybe). zog was ok going forward, but wouldnt beat a man and get a cross in. milner couldnt get a decent cross in.

needed shearer last night like.

I've just finished watching it again. Smith on the RW was crap/ provided nothing/no cut and thrust or creativity , not smith fault as he's not a RW. Martins should have started there imo as at least he can get past players create and cross for Owen etc. Need Barton back ASAP. Still not sure why Owen went off. If it was to protect him from injury as he's played alot lately then thats acceptable, other than that Martins should have come on instead of Smith or Butt and could have created for Owen, Shola etc.

Harper 7 Good game

Taylor 7 Good Game tried to get forward to spur us on left space on occaisions but had to do something after their goal.

CaCapa 6.5 didn't put a foot wrong really bar could have got a head on the clearance tht lead to their all important goal.

Roze - 4 Good on the floor, got forward very well, but Howard had no less than 6 clear goalscoring headers at goal, plus roze missed a sitter, should have had penalty though as constantly fouled when forward.

Zoggy - 7 our most creative player with Milner, some poor crosses though. Will enrique get in at LB if Zoggy keeps this up?

Smith - 5 did his best but not a RW provided nothing.

Geremi - 6.0 Hit and miss, good effort covered alot of ground, more creativity needed.

Butt 5.5 Not quite as good as Geremi some loose passes/crosses

Milner 7 Appart from zoggy our best/most creative player, quite alot of crosses most good

Ameobi 5.5 - Missed a good chance, offside too much, put himself about a bit didn't do enough but still more than Viduka.

Owen 5.5 Quiet, could rightly complain he got no service which he needs.

This game was always going to be the hardest time to play Derby. It was their cup final. You could hear from the crowd.

If Derby go out with exactly the same attitude against tghe likes of Arsenal they will still get stuffed. We have enough battlers in the team now so the least we should expect is to match the effort, then quality, in theory should count.

This game was always going to be the hardest time to play Derby. It was their cup final. You could hear from the crowd.

I have no complaints with the team selection, because I couldn't have put out a better team,

I do Smith is not a RW. Martins should have started there if Shola has to play up top.

One of the main problems last night i thought was not playing Taylor at centre half, im no big fan of the lad but anyone who knows Derby will know they base there game on early balls upto Howard and playing off the knockdowns and out of all our avail centre halfs Taylor is the most aggressive and therefore would've put Howard under a lot more pressure when going for these balls unlike Cacapa and Rozenhal who are both Ricardo Carvalho type defenders as a opposed to John Terry type in your face to borrow an example from another team, they read the game a lot better and know when to intercept etc not when to knee someone in the back when up for a header.

Also Smith was shit, he allegedly can play in a variety of positions but he is shit in all of them unfortunately. A poor/unneccessary signing in my opinion and ive thought that since we bought him. We have enough strikers and Barton is a better version of him in midfield.

I understand why Ameobi played last night but his contribution was terrible, for some1 who shud be fighting for their place in the team it was disgusting.The number of needless offsides/fouls he gave away to when in good positions was the sign of a poor player/lack of confidence.

f****** s****!

do they know what we do and spend on them?

its a disgrace how s*** we have been ever since Bolton

I HATE LONG BALL FOOTBALL

Seen the game again this morning, it wsn't that long ball to be fair, we played it out from the back alot, just we offered nothing from the right wing at all, no cutting edge.

110% Unacceptable.  Ameobi is rank, super slow and can't head the ball. I do not concur with the school of thought that suggests that we need a big/small combo.  If Martins becomes disillusioned that he can't get a game in front of Ameobi then we are truly f*cked as he'll be off for sure. Rather have two speedy forwards terrorising defences as opposed to a clown like Ameobi.

Injuries are being blamed now I see. Short of players? Christ I seem to witnessing a cracking transfer window and some great players coming in and thought we had cover in most positions?

It's down to Allardyce to make changes, gee up players and play positive football.  Not this f*cking pure sh*ite that has been served up so far.

No wonder Toon fans (in the main) are disillusioned this morning. What a f*cking sickner of a result and I'm here doing a 10 hour shift to get paid what those f*ckers on the field last night earned in 10 minutes.

had "get in 1-0" on my phone ready to text to my mate a derby fan whilst sitting at work ready to send it when we scored and i felt so pissed off with that shower of shite listening to the match .rome wasnt built in a day but you expect a bit more from a team against a side who are going to be in a relegation dog fight most of the season .no creation with a midfield who just dont inspire and and ameobi up front just about sums it up.come back joey we need you quickly

110% Unacceptable.  Ameobi is rank, super slow and can't head the ball. I do not concur with the school of thought that suggests that we need a big/small combo.  If Martins becomes disillusioned that he can't get a game in front of Ameobi then we are truly f*cked as he'll be off for sure. Rather have two speedy forwards terrorising defences as opposed to a clown like Ameobi.

Injuries are being blamed now I see. Short of players? Christ I seem to witnessing a cracking transfer window and some great players coming in and thought we had cover in most positions?

It's down to Allardyce to make changes, gee up players and play positive football.  Not this f*cking pure sh*ite that has been served up so far.

No wonder Toon fans (in the main) are disillusioned this morning. What a f*cking sickner of a result and I'm here doing a 10 hour shift to get paid what those f*ckers on the field last night earned in 10 minutes.

Knee jerk tbh.

Bolton - Good performance

Villa - Poor performance

Boro - Decent performance... should have won but for a lapse just after our goal.

Barnsley - Good Performance

Wigan - First half was particularly good, Second Half canny

Derby - Very poor

I still have no doubts that we will do well this season.

boro was a shite performance

villa was shite

barnsley was OK and far from good

wigan was pretty shite again

Guest shire100

The first thing noticable about last night was the lack of raw pace we have in the team, Butt, Geremi, Smith and Milner are one paced, Nzogbia and Rozenhal provide the only acceleration apparent(apart from Martins but i still dont think he uses it to potential)

Ameobi has had many chances now, he cannot shoot(with power) he has absolutley no pace and gives away far too many needless fouls, he cannot head the ball. Alan Smith in the absence of maybe Viduka (but perhaps Smith should start anyway) should start in that position, yes he hasnt started well but does have a good first touch and is a better option playing upfront than in midfield were the only thing he offers is agression which is likley to see the the team be reduced to 10 men. Putting him in his favoured position alongside Owen or martins with Emre and Barton behind him would in my opinion reap reward.

I thought Rozenhal did okay last night, yes he was beaten in the air by Howard every time howevr it was only Rozenhal that took the ball to Derby in an attacking sense as the midfield either passed back to defence or gave the ball away.

Cacapa looked comfortable and although he lacks pace posistions himself well and dosnt dive in like Taylor. Charlie is obviously fustrated playing at left back and i think ,along with most, that the sooner Enrique is ready to start the sooner we will have him in a more threatining role.

Harper will probably loose his place after last night, not that i blame him, but postioning should have been better.

Milner needs to play on the right if we are playing wingers.

Couldnt understand the reasoning behind the subs at all, at first i thought we went 3-5-2 with Roz Cacapa and Taylor at the back with Faye smith and Butt in the middle nZogbia and Milner as Wing backs and obviously Bambi and Martins up top, however should have put Smith up top dropped Ameobi brought on Faye into centre mid move Geremi to Right back, Taylor to Left back, charlie left mid and Milner right mid.

Hopefully the selection for West Ham will include a spanish left back and a creative midfielder.

Harper 6

Taylor 6

Rozenhal 6

Cacapa 6

NZogbia 6

Butt 5

Geremi 6

Smith 5

Ameobi 4

Owen 6

Milner 6

Martins 5

Beye 5

Faye 6

Is it too much to ask for to beat the first man on set pieces please, shocking!

Knee jerk tbh.

Bolton - Good performance

Villa - Poor performance

Boro - Decent performance... should have won but for a lapse just after our goal.

Barnsley - Good Performance

Wigan - First half was particularly good, Second Half canny

Derby - Very poor

I still have no doubts that we will do well this season.

Kneejerk my arse.  You have summed it up perfectly chap.  Out of 5 Premiership games, based on your review of each, we have played a total of 1 good game and half a good game. .What about the remaining 3 1/2?  Look at who we've played.  Before kick off last night my feeling was that results masked some poor performances (not all games) but we'd accumulated 8 points. Last nights result confimred that we have performance issues.

Also does anyone think Butt should be dropped?Hes being pretty shit every game this season,he can tackle but his passing is terrible!I would push Zog up on the left,Milner out right and Smith in the middle,and start Enrique if or when hes fit or else but Taylor left back and bring Beye in right back

Unacceptable is the right word.  Whatever the circumstances and whatever has happened in the past, such an insipid, lame and gutless performance is totally unacceptable for a club with our prestige and fan base.

SA is reputed to have teams which outfight the opposition and use state of the art methods to achieve super fitness.

Derby looked fitter than us and were certainly more up for it last night.

Perhaps Sam should forget about the modern practices for a while and practice basics like ball control and passing.

It was a totally shapeless team and a performance which was as bad as recent manager's showings at Wigan and Man City.

Truth is the Bolton fluke aside we've been pretty uninspriring and very shapeless in all the games so far, and those were against non of the league's better sides.

The present manager's philosophy and team construction are the antithesis of the Keegan philosophy and team, i.e. defensive grafters and try not to get beat as opposed to players who are comfortable going forward and lets go out and win.

I know which type of football I'd rather be watching.

Guest definitely_maybe123

i cannot believe last nights performance. shola is unbelieveable. we should have snapped the arm off anyone making an offer for hm in the transfer window. n'zobia was very poor aswell. everyone on here seems to have a vendetta towards alan smith but in my opinion he was the only player who seemed to care last night. put his everything into his slides and genuinely seemed to care which is more than i can say for anyone else. i live in manchester and my hatred for manchester united is greater than anyones and i usually despise any player they have but i really do think smith is our future. a woeful performance from us lot. butt made me laugh aswell. his distribution is appaling. defensively we seemed sound, which even though we were playing derby is a first. like cacapa and rozenhal. taylor was abismal, he hasnt got the pace or the accuracy t play as a right back, bu i caanot blame him as he just wants to play for his club. sort it out allardyce!