Shola Ameobi (let it all out lads)

Decky

Scapegoat tastic imo Just watched it again this morning.  He was poor yes, as was the team in general. Ameobi missed 1 very good chance, didn't attack headers as much as he should have, but won quite a few and was offside far to much. Still did more than the fat, slow, unmobile, and easilly marked Viduka in all fairness.

Owen and martins did next to nothing too. (although in all fairness we should start with owen Martins next game imo, Martins needs to start).

Cant just blame Shola

the whole team played bollocks and all he could do was chase a few balls all over the place

imo michael owen was worse than Shola, he doesnt give a fuck about newcastle and you can tell...

Guest optimistic nit

Scapegoat tastic imo Just watched it again this morning.  He was poor yes, as was the team in general. Ameobi missed 1 very good chance, didn't attack headers as much as he should have, but won quite a few and was offside far to much. Still did more than the fat, slow, unmobile, and easilly marked Viduka in all fairness.

Owen and martins did next to nothing too. (although in all fairness we should start with owen Martins next game imo, Martins needs to start).

but  Fat overweight viduka still has this think called talent.

i'd just like to point out for the record that i think pretty much all of the team were shite last night, i'm not making ameobi a scapegoat at all, ask me what i think of his play after he scores a hat trick against man u, i can promise you it'll be no pace, no touch, no anticipation, no quality in the air, no skill, no finish, no pass

but  Fat overweight viduka still has this think called talent.

True! Viduka is an accomplished finsher and far better at this than Shola without doubt. However Viduka is just so unmobile at least Shola can get to the ball/away from his marker at times. Viduka needs people to put it on a plate for him, as does Owen, one reason why they may not work together. Viduka has been the most disapointing player for me so far as has done precious little (bar one admittedy good goal).

Him playing in his 'best' position exacerbates the Smith situation. We wouldn't play Ameobi on the right wing, would we.

Ameobi should be behind Smith in the pecking order for strikers.

Agreed.....Smith is getting alot of stick but he hasnt played in his best position yet and he would be more effective than Ameobi,.e ball wont jus bounce off him everytime

Him playing in his 'best' position exacerbates the Smith situation. We wouldn't play Ameobi on the right wing, would we.

Ameobi should be behind Smith in the pecking order for strikers.

Agreed.....Smith is getting alot of stick but he hasnt played in his best position yet and he would be more effective than Ameobi,.e ball wont jus bounce off him everytime

I would bet my savings that, all things being equal, Ameobi would score more goals over a season up front than Alan Smith would.  Whether you want your strikers to do more than just score goals or not is a different matter but, for me, Ameobi is ahead of Smith to play as a striker.

He is absolutely rancid.  Can't header, can't hold the ball up and has the first touch of a rhino.  He was dominated by the two centre halves.

I've thought this for years mind, not just on last nights performance - the guy loves a cameo performance but last night, his big chance, he failed miserably, as he has done on countless occassions before.

Ameobi and Owen played well together for 45 minutes against Hartlepool in pre-season!!

His laid back style doesn't help him though because it always comes across as if he could not be bothered.

Every once in a while he has a great game which reminds you that he can play a bit but unfortunately we see it all too rarely.

The problem is that all of the strikers need games with each other to work out which combinations work and to get a partnership going and until something clicks, it is going to be a frustrating experience.

Despite his youth and lack of experience and depending on how he gets on at Preston, I felt after watching Ameobi last night that maybe Carroll would be better as the 4th choice striker come January as he would keep to doing the simple things and at least he can head a ball.  I would also expect him to keep improving and learning whereas I am starting to think Ameobi never will.

Guest eyeball_tickler

He is absolutely rancid.  Can't header, can't hold the ball up and has the first touch of a rhino.  He was dominated by the two centre halves.

I've thought this for years mind, not just on last nights performance - the guy loves a cameo performance but last night, his big chance, he failed miserably, as he has done on countless occassions before.

thats claude davis and dean leacock, for the record.

While Shola was terrible, he was bound to fail when we tried to play him in a Heskey role. He's hopeless at that job.

exactly. i cringed during the pre-match interview when Allardyce said "well, it's the old big-man, small-man combination" to explain his selection of the forwards. he probably thinks cos Ameobi is big and black that he's just like Heskey. Ameobi has always been shit when he plays as support striker, apart from the odd flick on for a shearer goal, because he's not very good when he's outside the box, having to move about, control the ball, bringing others into play etc. he's only ever shone when he has been the main man, playing centrally, with the other striker supporting him, not the other way round. ironically smith looks alright playing as second striker but he's stuck in midfield - fergie needs shot for thinking he could ever play there.

It seems incredible that we are leaving out the likes of Martins to play Shola. Big man-little man is all very well but seeing as Ameobi has never been very good in the air it makes the argument redundant.

Guest optimistic nit

It seems incredible that we are leaving out the likes of Martins to play Shola. Big man-little man is all very well but seeing as Ameobi has never been very good in the air it makes the argument redundant.

and today i believe sam found that out. if he continues to try it i will lambast him.

and today i believe sam found that out. if he continues to try it i will lambast him.

You've been warned, Allardyce. Lambastment is coming your way.

Guest rosstoon

I never like to blame players but last night he was meant to be a centre forward to hold the ball up he did not do that. He should be dropped on Sunday. Smith would do a better job up there.