The Oba Martins Situation

DJ_NUFC

Alright then people, what do you think's going on in the mind of our young Nigerian. Our top scorer last season and with a couple of goals and an assist for Owen already this season, is it:

1) Right for him to be on the bench

2) Right for him to expect to start every game

3) Right for him to want to fuck off if this continues.

And can Sam find a place -- SHOULD he find a place -- for him in the team?

He should be ahead of Viduka, Shola and even Owen

he scores lots of goals in his first season as u pointed out and he will only improve, he has the pace to beat anyone and would be one of the best strikers in the pl

he has the right to leave in january and i couldnt blame him if he never gets his game

I have no problem with him coming off the bench from time to time... But if he is on the bench from the start then the starting attack has to be worth it and make sense. ie have Owen+Viduka or Owen+Smith up top.

Having Shola is like a double whammy, straight out of the Roeder/Souness school of logic. What annoys me more isn't so much the fact Ameobi played yesterday, but the fact Allardyce fell for the Shola=big man who  wins headers etc.. trap.

After his contribution in the Wigan game, I thought Martins deserved to start last night.

he should get a place long before shola or smith are considered. actually those 2 should only get considered as an emergency measure and thats after putting steve harper up front. Anymore of it and i think that come jan he will be gone. As for starting every game why not he seems to find the net quite a bit so there should always be a place made for him.It must really fuck up his head to think he is further down the pecking order that shola.

Oba must start.. alongside Owen.

Seconded. For all those who think that's a useless partnership, all I can say is that it's up to the manager to make it work. If we had actual attacking, creative midfield players, there is no way that partnership will not work. How long are we supposed to use the big man - small man thing? It's what encourages long balls, nowt else.

oba needs to be playing more than 20 or 30 minutes a game. it won't suit sam's tactics perfectly if we play owen and oba up front together but if viduka continues to be s*** once he's back from his hammy then big sam's gotta give it a shot right? they would make one of the quickest and smallest premiership partnerships in league history and damn fun to watch

Anyone see that comedy moment when he tried to control the ball about 5 yards in from the touchline, and ended up the other side of the advertising hoardings as a result of his attempts to bring the ball under his control. :lol:

Anyone see that comedy moment when he tried to control the ball about 5 yards in from the touchline, and ended up the other side of the advertising hoardings as a result of his attempts to bring the ball under his control. :lol:

I saw the moment when he made a complete mug of one of their defenders with a very clever piece of footwork leaving the defender with the options of taking him down and giving us a freekick in a dangerous area or letting him through on goal.

Suppose the kettle had boiled at that moment in the Gemmill household though ;)

Guest Knightrider

I don't think Sam rates him, tbh.

Agreed.

I'm not sure that's the case, more he can't accommodate him and Owen in the same team as it fucks up his long ball style of football.

I'll expect to see Shola and Viduka up front as a pairing soon then, as cock-height Owen isn't exactly suited to long ball football either.

Sam is playing Owen, bigging him up, trying to prove his fitness, and get him amongst the goals so he can sell him in the winter window where clubs with Euro commitments will pay over the odds for fire power to help them progress in the next round, with no release clause active.

Martins is for next season, and the future.

I don't think Sam rates him, tbh.

Agreed.

I'm not sure that's the case, more he can't accommodate him and Owen in the same team as it fucks up his long ball style of football.

I'll expect to see Shola and Viduka up front as a pairing soon then, as cock-height Owen isn't exactly suited to long ball football either.

You obviously missed his comments about preferring the big man/little man combo then?

If you've seen us at all in the league this season you will know why he prefers that.

Sam is playing Owen, bigging him up, trying to prove his fitness, and get him amongst the goals so he can sell him in the winter window where clubs with Euro commitments will pay over the odds for fire power to help them progress in the next round, with no release clause active.

Martins is for next season, and the future.

Good theory, but can anyone ensure that no more release clause can be activated?