Reports: Mourinho Leaves Chelsea

PM

Guest Knightrider

Madness. Mourinho is the best equipped manager in the world to work well and succeed in the unique environment that is Chelsea, and what do they go and do? Get rid, after two league titles and numerous cups in as many years. No manager out there will be as good as he was for Chelsea. They could bring in someone who will get them playing better football but will they get that consistency, that spirit? And in the face of challenges from clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal? I doubt it. They will go through a succession of managers and blow countless more millions along the way. No class, no pedigree. I hope Roman fucks off sooner rather than later. Mourinho on the other hand can walk into any top job in the world and he hasn't even started yet in his career, in terms of what he is further capable of and will no doubt go on to achieve as a manager.

No class

Partly because of the whinging idiot they've just got rid of, when Ranieri was there and had them playing decent football i quite liked them. And if they continue to outspend Arsenal/Liverpool/Man Utd 3/1 it shouldnt be hard to find a manager who can compete with them.

Madness. Mourinho is the best equipped manager in the world to work well and succeed in the unique environment that is Chelsea, and what do they go and do? Get rid, after two league titles and numerous cups in as many years. No manager out there will be as good as he was for Chelsea. They could bring in someone who will get them playing better football but will they get that consistency, that spirit? And in the face of challenges from clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal? I doubt it. They will go through a succession of managers and blow countless more millions along the way. No class, no pedigree. I hope Roman fucks off sooner rather than later. Mourinho on the other hand can walk into any top job in the world and he hasn't even started yet in his career, in terms of what he is further capable of and will no doubt go on to achieve as a manager.

I don't agree with your first point. There are any number of managers who would have done as well given the resources available. Not that Mourinho isn't a very good manager. There's nothing unique about Chelsea, either. Abramovich is apparently following the Real Madrid model.

Agree totally on your verdict on Abramovich and Mourinho, though. Top manager, crap chairman. To be honest, I wouldn't mind him staying if he wants to turn Chelsea into Little Real and keep throwing his money at other clubs. I much prefer characters like him to these MSI types.

Being widely reported in today's press that Spurs made a bid to get Mourinho in, which isn't quite accurate.

Spurs, so I'm told, asked his agent if he was available now and how would he view joining Spurs.  The reply was he enjoyed life in London, he would not rule out a move to Spurs in the future but under the terms of the settlement package he can't take another job in the Premier League before 1 August 2008.  If MJ takes the Holland national job in the summer as has been widely rumoured, it could in theory be possible.  My feeling is it's not worth a bet, even as a long shot.

Being widely reported in today's press that Spurs made a bid to get Mourinho in, which isn't quite accurate.

Spurs, so I'm told, asked his agent if he was available now and how would he view joining Spurs. 

That sounds pretty much like a bid to get the guy in to me.

Spurs, so I'm told, asked his agent if he was available now and how would he view joining Spurs. 

That sounds pretty much like a bid to get the guy in to me.

Sounding out his availability rather than a bid, though not much doubt in my mind a bid would have followed if he had been available.  Personally, I don't think Levy will wait for Mourinho to become available to hopefully sign him before cutting Jol loose.  MJ's toast imo.

I think Jose has come out today and said he would like to return to England one day but has to try football in another country first. If those comments are sincere I can't see him taking an English job for at least 2 or 3 years.

I think Jose has come out today and said he would like to return to England one day but has to try football in another country first. If those comments are sincere I can't see him taking an English job for at least 2 or 3 years.

I agree.  Would be ironic if he went to Juve at Ranieri's expense! :lol:

...Spurs, so I'm told, asked his agent if he was available now and how would he view joining Spurs.  The reply was he enjoyed life in London, he would not rule out a move to Spurs in the future but under the terms of the settlement package he can't take another job in the Premier League before 1 August 2008.  If MJ takes the Holland national job in the summer as has been widely rumoured, it could in theory be possible.  My feeling is it's not worth a bet, even as a long shot.

Seems a fairly strong no.  And yet, it's being reported that Spurs tried contacting him five times.

...Spurs, so I'm told, asked his agent if he was available now and how would he view joining Spurs.  The reply was he enjoyed life in London, he would not rule out a move to Spurs in the future but under the terms of the settlement package he can't take another job in the Premier League before 1 August 2008.  If MJ takes the Holland national job in the summer as has been widely rumoured, it could in theory be possible.  My feeling is it's not worth a bet, even as a long shot.

Seems a fairly strong no.  And yet, it's being reported that Spurs tried contacting him five times.

No idea whether they tried to make contact 5 times before actually speaking but it wouldn't surprise me bearing in mind the enthusiasm the board have for getting rid of Jol.  Maybe the way Defoe keeps getting blanked isn't helping, I hear he's back on the bench for Bolton.  Hasn't started a game this season.  Not as though Keane has been in worldbeating form.

The plot thickens...

Mourinho holds Terry responsible for charges levelled by Chelsea's board of directors that he had lost the support of his playing staff after Tuesday's Champions League draw with Rosenborg - a match that was followed by club owner Roman Abramovich lecturing a senior professional on his on-field tactics behind Mourinho's back.

Half an hour before the Group B fixture, claims a dressing-room source, Terry told one of Mourinho's assistant coaches that he had 'things on my mind'. Only the intervention of a team-mate put him in the right state of mind to take part in the pre-match warm-up, for which Terry arrived late.

Midway through the first half Rosenborg scored, after Miika Koppinen beat Terry at a set piece. When Mourinho then directly criticised the centre back's defending at half time, Terry refused to accept responsibility for the goal or even to respond to his manager.

Earlier on Tuesday, Terry had been informed that Mourinho had gone to the club's medical department to ask whether there was any physical reason for the player's sub-standard performances in matches this season. Mourinho hoped to find an explanation for a significant decline in Terry's play following an operation to remove a disc from the defender's spine in December.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon was made aware of the dispute and, according to the dressing-room source, presented the information to an emergency board meeting on Wednesday as evidence that the manager had lost the trust of key players. The club subsequently asked Mourinho for his resignation, which he refused to tender, but ultimately settled on dismissal by 'mutual consent'. Later on Wednesday, Mourinho sent Terry a text message sarcastically thanking him for talking to the club's hierarchy.

On Friday, several first-team regulars apparently took their captain to task during a 50-minute team meeting called by Terry in the aftermath of Mourinho's dismissal. Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba and Florent Malouda are believed to have accused him of not doing enough to keep Mourinho at the club.

Terry is England's best-paid footballer after agreeing a five-year, £131,000-a-week contract this summer. In initial negotiations he had requested a 'limitless parity' clause to ensure he was the club's biggest earner for the duration of a proposed nine-year term. According to a Chelsea insider Terry also wanted - and was refused - a contractual option for him to manage the club at the end of his playing career.

As far-fetched as that request might be, Abramovich's actions in the aftermath of the Rosenborg draw were equally bizarre. In front of the entire Chelsea team, but while Mourinho was occupied with press conference duties, the Russian billionaire decided to hand out an impromptu tactics lesson to Michael Essien.

Employing striker Andriy Shevchenko as translator, he instructed midfielder Essien, player of the year last season, to hit passes wide rather than through central areas where the Norwegians had compressed play. Abramovich is expected to take an increasingly hands-on role in the team following the appointment of Grant to replace Mourinho and, according to several sources, will effectively select the side. In a press conference on Friday, Grant insisted he would not tolerate interference but declined to respond when asked who was the most important individual at Chelsea. 'Look, the owner gives the financial support,' Grant said. 'I'm not going to make remarks.'

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2175101,00.html