Newcastle to pay tribute to academy player on Sunday

Guest hindu times

NEWCASTLE United will pay tribute to Academy starlet Jordan Thompson at Sunday's game against West Ham United after the 15-year-old sadly passed away following a long illness.

Jordan, from West Denton, was part of the club's Under 16 squad and had been with his hometown club since the age of 11.

As a mark of respect, Newcastle United's players will wear black armbands for Sunday's game and will celebrate Jordan's life with a minute's applause before kick-off against the Hammers.

Jordan's family will be at the game and his U16 Academy team-mates will also join United's senior team on the pitch for the minute's applause.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "Jordan was an excellent young player in our Academy and the staff were very pleased with the way in which he was developing, both as a player and a fabulous young man.

"Our deepest sympathies go to his family and friends.

"As a mark of respect, the Club will be holding a minute's applause before Sunday's game."

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Never heard anything about this until just.  Unfortunate like, it seems all the good kids get screwed over these days, and all the charvers and little shitbags get off scot-free.  Well done to the club on this one.

R.I.P.

Never heard anything about this until just.  Unfortunate like, it seems all the good kids get screwed over these days, and all the charvers and little shitbags get off scot-free.  Well done to the club on this one.

R.I.P.

Some people might say that charvers were screwed over before they were even born, but that's for another thread.

A nice tribute. RIP

I don't feel comfortable with this planned period of applause. I never have had to engage in such an act and haven't expected to, it's just not the way I've been raised to do things. Now I feel I'm in a position where I'm disrespecting the kid by engaging in what is the traditionally respectful and respectable thing of a minutes silence.

RIP to Jordan.

I can see the logic behind celebrating a kids life like that. Normally a minutes silence is to reflect back on their lives but with a kid like this who hardly anyone knows anything about what do you reflect on?

I can see the logic behind celebrating a kids life like that. Normally a minutes silence is to reflect back on their lives but with a kid like this who hardly anyone knows anything about what do you reflect on?

Strangely enough, I come from the reverse of that, if anything. Though I've not liked this recent applause thing, I've partly explained it by the idea of the applause showing appreciation for the things achieved by the individual in receipt of it, be it a great career or a more personal sense of joy the person has provided others. What, then, did this lad have time to achieve? Obviously, I didn't and don't intend to enter this thread to dismiss him, but I have to say, none of us will have heard of him and probably never would have done, either. To me, he's had a tragically short life and the silence would show respect for a young lad's passing, the fact he never really had his chance, and also show those who did know him that they aren't alone. If we were to reflect on anything, I suppose it would be reflection upon life itself, the way some are fortunate and some are not. Reflect on the fact we should make what we can of our own chances.

The applause seems, to me, to be at least potentially superficial. I appreciate that that's not the case for everyone and can understand your take on it, however.

My fundamental point in this is that I don't like the way a decision has been made by the club for us as to how we go about this matter. To be neutral, they could've said a "minute of respect" and let people resolve it amongst themselves, ways of demonstrating that being a personal matter.

Guest johnson293

A bit more about him in todays Journal, for anyone who's interested.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/tm_headline=brave-jordan-loses-battle-with-cancer&method=full&objectid=19805506&siteid=50081-name_page.html

There was also a piece on Look North tonight, showing how he (along with other young cancer patients) worked behind the scenes at a concert last year at The Sage (in which Paul Weller played) for a Cancer Charity.

However, the Look North item never mentioned his links with NUFC, or Sunday's gesture by the club.  ???

Anyway, RIP  - another young 'un gone too soon!