Beye: Droggy told me to sign for Toon

NSG

From the Journal:

HABIB Beye has revealed how the memory of one of Newcastle United’s biggest disappointments in European football was enough to persuade him to move to St James’s Park.

Beye was part of the Marseille team which beat United in the semi-finals of the Uefa Cup in 2004 after Sir Bobby Robson’s side had been ravaged by injuries before a 2-0 second leg defeat in France.

But Beye still remembers how well Newcastle played in those games, as well as the special atmosphere at both games, and he feels United are capable of challenging at that level once again under Sam Allardyce.

“I remember playing here for Marseille in the semi-final and I remember that it was a fantastic atmosphere,” reflected Beye, who may have to make do with another place on the bench against West Ham tomorrow as Allardyce eases him into English football. “We won in Marseille, but we drew here. I remember it well because I played against Alan Shearer. He was a big personality in Newcastle and a very good player. I remember Newcastle were a very good team back them. We were playing them in the Uefa Cup semi-final, so that shows how good they were.

“The memory of that game is one of the reasons why I signed for Newcastle in the summer. In Marseille, we have 55,000 people at the stadium for big games. I remember St James’s Park being a passionate place to play football and that is very important for me. It was important for me to come to a club like Newcastle that can challenge in Europe.”

After four years in the south of France, Beye helped the club qualify for the Champions League last season and he hopes to have the same impact at Newcastle.

He said: “Newcastle have the potential to be as big as Marseille, maybe bigger. But we need to be back in Europe. We have to have a good season and finish in the top five or six so that we can get back into Europe for next season.

“I think Newcastle is one of the best places to play in the Premier League. They have the best fans, but it is very important that we are in Europe. The fans expect to be watching European football.”

Beye also revealed how his proposed move to Newcastle had been whole heartedly backed by his former Marseille team-mate, Chelsea’s Didier Drogba.

He added: “I am still a good friend of Didier and I speak with him regularly. He was very happy to see me join Newcastle and I look forward to playing against him.

“Didier said good things about Newcastle and said it would be a good club for me. He told me to come here because it was the perfect club for me in the Premier League.

“He thinks it is the best league in Europe and I am pleased to have a chance to play in it. It is very different to France, but it is the best.

“I have a lot of friends that play in England I told Drogba that I was thinking about moving to England and he said, ‘The Premier League will be very good for you’. I told (Diomansy) Kamara that I was thinking of joining Newcastle and he said, ‘It is a very big team’. Everyone was complimentary.”

Guest Geordiesned

Droggy loves the Toon!

Mourinho leaves Chelsea...

...Drogba in tears...

...he'll sign for us in January!!!

:frantic:

;)

Droggy loves the Toon!

Mourinho leaves Chelsea...

...Drogba in tears...

...he'll sign for us in January!!!

:frantic:

;)

Mourinho has also complemented us nearly every time we play them

Watch out lads  O0

Right so....we're definitely signing Drogba, Lampard and Terry then?

:lol:

Not Lampard ffs absolutely s*** player.

Yet he scores about 20 goals a season, Pretty good for a s*** player.

Id say about 2 of them are his own, the other 18 are delfections that smack of 4 defenders arses before they hit the back of the net. A truely over rated player.

Id say about 2 of them are his own, the other 18 are delfections that smack of 4 defenders arses before they hit the back of the net. A truely over rated player.

Thats a lot of luck.

Thats a lot of luck.

yes it is, must be a lucky player.

Thats a lot of shit.

FYP

Why did he sign? Captaining a club that's in the champions league, that you've helped get there, i know not many would leave, unless it was for moulash. Not that i'm complaining like, but it's bugger all to do with the memory of an atmosphere why he is here.

All part of the master plan, presumably. When you see who his agent is, it starts to make sense:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/images/main.bin.jpg

From the complete lack of football knowledge in your post, I assume you're a girl?

From the complete lack of football knowledge in your post, I assume you're a girl?

nope i'm not and by your picture i'd say your a fat frank lover

Any ladies reading I am NOT laughing with him, erm I am laughing at him the silly man tut tut.

Why did he sign? Captaining a club that's in the champions league, that you've helped get there, i know not many would leave, unless it was for moulash. Not that i'm complaining like, but it's bugger all to do with the memory of an atmosphere why he is here.

Bigger, harder league and a new challenge.  If a player wants to further their career, then a move to one of the three bigger leagues is an obvious move.

Anyone else impressed that of the two French teams in the Champion's League, we've nabbed both their captains?

Guest NUFCGator

If Drogba likes us so much maybe he should request a transfer to us in the next window. He might be able to beat out Shola if he's lucky.

Ya left out the 10 poxy pens as well!

A French lad in my Uni, who also happens to be a Marseille-supporter, said that he's been a great player for them in the years he's been there, but that he looked disinterested this season before he signed for us. Looked like he wanted a new challenge, he said.

Either way, think Chelsea will be fook all without Mourinho.  Can see them coming 4th at best the way the other three are playing.  That said tinker man could well fuck it up as well if he continues the way he is.

The top four or who finishes where is not a dead cert this year...