Newcastle United 3 - 1 West Ham - 23/09/07 - Post match reaction from page 14

Dave

The early goal took alot of pressure off us but we didn't offer much going forward in the rest of the first half, Ashton took his goal well and you could feel it was coming, they had us pinned back up for the best part of 10 minutes before tat and we struggled to get out, I can't say I've seen the second goal properly as from where I was sat it looked like Owen put it in, it was a well worked goal though and just highlighted why I've been banging on about needing pace out wide.

The second half I thought we looked alot more dangerous as a team when Martins came on, even if he did miss an open goal, again it's a case of having pace in the team and the West Ham defenders struggled to pick him up, we looked better again when N'Zogbia went onto the wing and our 3rd was your well worked counter attacking goal.

Happy with the result, the balance still isn't right though but hopefully we can get a new right winger in in January.

Milner had an alright game today, made to look poor because he's played a lot better than that recently.

He wasnt terrible but he offered very little, his delivery was average at best and he was probably one of the weakest on our side.

His delivery is usually average and always predictable, the big lofted high ball into the box.

I thought Milner was poor today. So many great chances to get behind the defence but his lack of pace meant he ended up cutting inside every time. Makes it quite easy for the defender when he knows you can only go one way.

Milner had an alright game today, made to look poor because he's played a lot better than that recently.

He wasnt terrible but he offered very little, his delivery was average at best and he was probably one of the weakest on our side.

His delivery is usually average and always predictable, the big lofted high ball into the box.

Kept slowing the play down, taking far too many touches and the cutting inside. Predictable as fuck.

WHat does annoy with Milner is his insistance in lifting the ball, never blasting the ball low into the box.

There was a moment in the second half today especially, when he was on the left actually a yard or two inside the penalty box that was crammed with bodies, but instead of blasting it low into the pack for someone to maybe touch it in (even maybe one of theirs) he kind of chipped/flighted it over everyone. No point in those kinds of balls.

No, all in all a poor day at the office for him.

WHat does annoy with Milner is his insistance in lifting the ball, never blasting the ball low into the box.

There was a moment in the second half today especially, when he was on the left actually a yard or two inside the penalty box that was crammed with bodies, but instead of blasting it low into the pack for someone to maybe touch it in (even maybe one of theirs) he kind of chipped/flighted it over everyone. No point in those kinds of balls.

No, all in all a poor day at the office for him.

Someone should send him a tape of the Tevez goal v. Chelsea.

Do the stupid cunts who've been slagging off Viduka want to fuck off permanently or what? I know who you are.

I was thinking about 'toptoon' at the match, wondering how many more he thought Ameobi would have "scored/created" as he put it. :D

Who was that below Mike Ashley?

Was it his son?

Certainly looked like him, gave the Wham fans the middle finger with both hands after the match finished.

:lol:

I saw that :lol:

Harper - 7

N'Zogbia - Defensively, 5. Offensively, 9.

Cacapa - 6 (Taylor - n/a)

Rozehnal - 6.5

Beye - 7.5

Milner - 6

Geremi - 6.5

Butt - 7

Smith - 6.5

Viduka - 8 (Enrique - n/a)

Owen - 6 (Martins - 6)

Harper - 8 He was AWESOME (ENGLAND #1 for me)

N'Zogbia - 9 BREATH TAKING

Cacapa - 7.5 Very elegant and composed, would have been 8 if it wasnt for that funny miss kick which Harper took care of...

Rozehnal - 7.5 Like his elegance

Beye - 7.5 Impressed with this forward drives...Made the right side of the team look decent going forward for the first time

Milner - 6 Good effort but still not much end product, no assists, no dangerous crosses not even shots on goal...

Geremi - 6.5 Better game so far this season but still think either him or Butt should be midfield NOT both

Butt - 7.5 He was ROCK STEADY, great game by him and even had a shot on target

Smith - 6.5 Was again anonymous on the right wing, but once he switched as a CF, he was good and I mean REAL GOOD...ISmith anyday ahead of Ameobi for me

Viduka - 8.5 Great skills on the ball, hold up play, getting others into the game, his goal predatory instincts were exemplary

Owen - 6 Disappointing but not %100 which is also disappointing

Enrique - 6.5 Not bad, not bad, too early to judge...

Martins - 7 Decent effort and definitely did more than Owen by assisting N'Zogbia for the goal and should have had one himself too

Taylor - 6 Did nothing wrong but not much either to talk about...

The performance was a vast improvement on Derby, but for much of the first half, we struggled to keep the ball and impose any pattern on the game.

Two excellent goals(Viduka's header has to be one of the best headed goals I've seen - not easy to twist your head in front of the defender and get as much power & direction as he did), both created by great crosses from Zog, gave us breathing space, but it could have been a different story had West Ham capitalised on their control - Ashton took his goal well, and I still think he would be a great asset to us ; although some will disagree, I would have him instead of Martins(what a shocking miss..!).

Much better performance in second half, esp when Enrique came on allowing Zog to move further up - he caused them immediate problems by running at the full back, and Milner looked far more comfortable on the right-  this is our best flank formation.

Viduka had his best game for the club as apart from the goals, his link up play was good, but both he and Owen look as if injuries will hamper them.

Geremi looks slow and ineffective in this midfield , and if anyone has to go to fit Barton in, it should be him as Butt was far better; Beye was excellent, Enrique looked promising, but its too soon to tell yet.

In the end, it was a good win, but didn't look convincing in the first half - the changes made show what we COULD do once Barton is in the side, and Enrique and Beye play as first choice fullbacks.

We are in the top 6 - lets be glad about that !

I have to agree we were lucky to finish the first half leading as I think we underperformed and WH deserved their goal...We kept playing long balls from defense and midfield to Viduka and Owen which is CRIMINAL as I think we have quality players to pass the ball on the ground...WH were doing that more than us in the first half and that is why they had more possession and better game...

2nd half we were better especially after Oba coming on for Owen, we started passing the ball  a bit more though still played a lot of high balls more than required. Smith made a good impression after moving up front in place of Viduka and showed that he can be useful if played at his best position.

We really need to use the flanks and play 4-4-2 at least 45 minutes of the game especially if we can get another RW who is quicker than Milner...and I still think also that either Butt or Geremi in the middle not both

Some things were made even clearer yday:

You can only play 2 of Butt, Geremi, Smith in midfield

Smith is a forward, cannot play midfield & cannot hold a wide position

Owen is not fit; Martins has to start

Our shape & balance improved beyond measure once Zog moved up, Milner changed flanks & Smith moved up top. Having seen the improvement BS should be shot if he continues to play Zog at LB & Smith in midfield

Beye looks a class act, a real athlete

We look so much more threatening when we have posession in wider areas of the pitch. This is also obvious as all three of our goals came from the left handside. We are still lacking the creative quality from our central midfielders to impose a serious threat to opposition from all cylinders. We need emre or barton or both in our midfield and we can most definately crack the top 6. who knows maybe squueze in 4th

I thought we were a bit lucky to get a win, overall. The back four had no protection from the midfield in the first half, for some reason, and West Ham looked the better footballing side. We went in ahead thanks to a header from Viduka that looked impossible, and Zoggy's pace for the second.

We were better in the second half and made them battle for their chances. We looked like catching them on the break several times before we eventually got the third.

The good thing is that we will get better, and if we're winning these kinds of contests that says a lot for our spirit and organisation. The passing through the midfield is still poor, and I think Barton will make a big difference. I disagree about Butt having a good game. He put in his usual share of challenges, but there were several times when he chose a negative ball when a pass forward was on.

Owen looks a better all round player since his return from injury. He's slower but his link up play has improved immeasuarably.

Great win but I think it was a funny match.Robert Green had hardly any saves to make but conceded 3,maybe it was us being more sharper when we attack.Nobody is more happy to see Viduka scoring a brace than me.He deserve the goals but credit to Nzogbia too for such an excellent performance,much much better than the one on Monday.I was disappointed with how West Ham scored their goal,I thought we should defend better.I notice that Geremi is not the only player to take the throw ins anymore which is good and I thought Martins would have scored a goal with that great chance,but as it is,he missed it and fortunately it didnt cost us the match.The only disappointment is that Owen is out injured.Other than that,Im very pleased.Looking forward to the match against Arsenal.