You see, this is why we'll eventually get there under Big Sam...

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

During the entire first half our back-four collectively did the wrong thing - they (to a man) challenged for the same ball as Dean Ashton. Being the powerful physical brute he is both in holding onto the ball and in the air using his head, he invariably won the ball, shielded it/flicked it on and played in a West Ham player. This of course meant positionally we were often a man down because one of our defenders had vacated his position to attack and attempt to win the ball or to get tight to Ashton which is another mistake because he lacks pace and is never going to spin you that way. Physically he will of course and did.

Now the correct thing to do when you're facing a player like Dean Ashton when you yourself have no player with the same physical and aerial prowess (Taylor) is to drop off and pick up the second ball. We didn't get anywhere near the first ball never mind the second.

Take his goal for example, 3 of our defenders tried to beat him to the ball but lost out. The result? While 3 of our men were scratching their heads wondering where the ball went to (it fell to Ashton again) he was free to shoot and score. Now had we allowed him to flick it on and challenged for the second ball, he wouldn't have scored and we'd have most probably cleared our lines. We certainly wouldn't have had free defenders all together out of the action when that second ball fell.

Now contrast that to the second half.

We dropped off Ashton and challenged for the second ball, which we invariably won. As a result the whole game changed in our favour. No longer were we being left short at the back, no longer was Ashton having an effect, no longer did West Ham have a focal point to play to and off. This meant our defence could relax and take their time (most significantly on the ball) meaning the midfield were being played into the game and thus the attack. We went on to dominate, snuffing out West Ham and killing the game expertly on our way to picking up 3 points.

We did the same against Derby btw, challenging Howard to the ball instead of letting him have it basically and going for the second ball. Only against Derby, we continued to challenge Howard and not the second ball, all game, unlike against West Ham.

In short we are learning and developing, we are adapting and doing things correctly, as a defensive unit and as a collective team.

It is these little but huge huge things that I look at and base an idea of where we are going etc.

And it is clear to me we are going in the right direction and will eventually get there, because it's these little things that form the basis of any successful side. Thins like creativity and flair can only flourish consistently with these things in place. Without them, no team can ever succeed on a consistent basis.

Had we defended like we did from the off, even with the much cried for playmaker in the team, we still wouldn't have stopped them from scoring or dictating matters for periods of the half like they did because the fundamentals were all wrong.

Indeed the second half proves my point. There was no playmaker still, but because we defended correctly from the back, we started to create chances and some very good ones as the effects of defending correctly swept through our team and theirs. These things are hugely important to how a team plays, it can basically dictate the way you play and the opposition.

Now this attention to detail (Roeder and Souness would have overlooked this detail or not even been aware of it despite it's transparency) coupled with a robust philosophy (remember Big Sam's comments after the Villa game, the more clean sheets we get the more we'll go onto turn those 0-0 draws into 1-0 and 2-0 wins) means we are in very capable hands here.

From one extreme to another we have went in the space of a few days. I knew we'd play better today to a man and as a team and I know we'll learn from Derby like performances because we have the type of manager who not only looks for any imperfection no matter how slight, but also has the skills to resolve them and if not possible, work around them. Which we did today and will continue to do.

What makes our second half turnaround and this performance all the better is each area of the team is basically new, Owen and Viduka up front, the midfield, the defence, even the 'keeper. It takes time to get each section working as it should never mind knitting them altogether in unison to work as one effective outfit. People don't seem to realise this. Now add in the pressure of winning points and developing a footballing style and hopefully you can see this is no easy task regardless of the quality of player, money spent or skills of the manager. Time will tell is an age old saying.

Indeed it will.

Well played United, to a man and more importantly as a team.  :thup:

Guest Knightrider

It was also good to see Sam realised how important it was to have Zog further up the pitch, so brought Enrique on.

Forget about that, I was more happy to see us successfully changing our formation during the game and instead of the players struggling to get to grips with the changes and new tactics or take some time to adapt, we simply got on with it. This is another overlooked feature that will help us in the future, an ability to change modes throughout the game and adjust accordingly without losing shape or discipline, nor continuity.

bringing Enrique on way the single best thing we done in the match.

It allowed Zoggy to get back on the left wing and run at there right back. It allowed Milner to get on the right where he is at his best. And also Smith looked so much happier up top too. And of course, a natural left back too. Long may it continue.

Guest lessthanlee

It allowed Zoggy to get back on the left wing and run at there right back. It allowed Milner to get on the right where he is at his best. And also Smith looked so much happier up top too. And of course, a natural left back too. Long may it continue.

My thoughts exactly, i've been saying this to my mates, once Enrique is settled, Charlie should be on the left wing, Milner on the right as both of these will hug the touchline, give width and supply crosses. The midfield will come good when this happens on a regular basis...

My thoughts exactly, i've been saying this to my mates, once Enrique is settled, Charlie should be on the left wing, Milner on the right as both of these will hug the touchline, give width and supply crosses. The midfield will come good when this happens on a regular basis...

Duff?  :razz: :cheesy:

With Barton charging through the middle n'all. Och!

Guest lessthanlee

TBH, i don't rate Duff and would play Charlie over him any day, I'm yet to see a game where Duff has impressed me, but hey, thats just my thoughts...

TBH, i don't rate Duff and would play Charlie over him any day, I'm yet to see a game where Duff has impressed me, but hey, thats just my thoughts...

I was joking like, to be honest I'm just counting him out of the picture completely

Shhh.. he can't possibly have looked better in a striking role 'cos he was signed to replace Dyer.

You don't rate Duff? Do you think he was shite at Blackburn and at Chelsea, or just not that good since he joined Newcastle? Do you think Zog was good last season or was he total shite but has looked better this time around under a better manager? Think about it.....

duff imo is a better player( on a good day) than charlie however damien hasn't had that many good days lately. get him fit and firing on all cylinders and there is not that many better than him at rampaging down the left. saying that though i hope that BSA considers the graft that charlie has put in and insists damien has to earn his place, rather than him getting picked cos he is damien duff.

Guest thommo78

To my mind the defense will always be under pressure as the formation we played today was effectively 4 at the back 3 infront of them (butt/Geremi/Smith) Milner as a link and the two up front. When the ball comes out from defence if big Duke can't hold it up the gap between the forwards and the midfield is to large and the inevitably we loose it and it just keeps coming back adding to the pressure on the defense. To be fair that changed in the second half especially when zoggy was moved forward. That was the key to us controlling them as opposed to the defense dropping off.

Great celebration by big Sam for the third goal. Shows he cares and shows his passion. Nice triangle football at times but we miss a central midfield runner who breaks into the opposition box beyond the forwards. Come back soon Joey!

I think it was always Sam's intention to have N'Zogbia at LM, but with Enrique injured, he did what he had to do and slotted him at the back. From now on, I think we'll see a formation similar to what we saw towards the end. The question is will it be Geremi, Butt or Smith who make way in the midfield for N'Zogbia?

Shhh.. he can't possibly have looked better in a striking role 'cos he was signed to replace Dyer.

Well he couldn't have looked any worse than he did on the wing tbf.

Pleasure reading that HTT, you're invariably a wellspring of sound and level observation that increases my optimism for the future.

Is that why he backed Souness and Roeder too?

:lol: Good post though, as BS said, he is still getting to know the team.

Great observations.

As far as Duff goes: I can't wait to have him for cover.  He's quality and will show it when he's back. Also, having Duff breathing down Zoggy's neck can only be a good thing.  Hopefully Zogs won't get down if Duff beats him to it though.  Competition for places - what a novel idea!

Pleasure reading that HTT, you're invariably a wellspring of sound and level observation that increases my optimism for the future.

Is that why he backed Souness and Roeder too?

LOL, I never said his observations were always sound and level, unlike your own negativity of late. ;)

Sam did get it right int he 2nd half, our problem is that other managers will know that is what we have to do and that our 2 CB's cannot cope with big powerful players getting on top of them in anb around our box.

We really need Roze and Cacapa to get to grips with the more physical side of the Prem game. Wenger will be well aware of this problem we have at the back  and I am sure he will set up to take full advantage of it of it on Tuesday.

good to see enrique coming on and letting zoggy move up. but i am also very satisfied that sam eases him into action. no point in breaking his spirit like we have done with so many before...